AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 11 of 24 (507 Views)

Re: Civil 3D 2013 - Does it Fix Anything?

01-03-2013 04:23 PM in reply to: framseur

In my experience the biggest bug is somewhere between the keyboard and the chair:smileywink:

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
Valued Mentor
engrtech
Message 12 of 24 (487 Views)

01-04-2013 06:08 AM in reply to: framseur

Stick with C3D 2012 if you're worried about bugs.  C3D 2013 has been the worst release I've ever seen of Civil 3d.  So many little things just won't work that individually wouldn't matter much, but there are enough of them to frustrate the hell out of you.  

I've never been one to recommend not going to the latest release, but C3D 2013 has been the first time I've ever done that.  

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2014
Civil 3D 2014 x64
Testing IDSP 2015
Windows 7 64-bit
6GB RAM
Mentor
dasindog
Message 13 of 24 (478 Views)

01-04-2013 06:54 AM in reply to: engrtech

I think that engrtech's experience is a great example of the complexity of this software/hardware combinations and how we all use it differently. We upgraded to 2013 immediately and only had one problem that was fixed with SP1. Most problems do originate with the user and some with hardware/software problems. Also, remember that it's not Autodesk's responsibility alone when problems arise. 

Back to the car analogy, a car is made to do one thing. Drive. It either works or it doesn't. You can drive from point A to point B or not. Along the way the air conditioning may break or a headlight need replaced but the car still functions as a car.

Civil 3D is used for widely various applications, from river dredges to utility design and anything in between. Some little parts of the program may not work the way we like but we can still get our jobs done. We don't live in a perfect world where everyone can be considered and appeased and realizing this is the first step to curing many of our "problems".

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 14 of 24 (466 Views)

01-04-2013 07:55 AM in reply to: engrtech

I've been following this conversation with some interest, since we are on the cusp of upgrading from 2011.

I agree that a lot of errors are of the PICNIC kind, and I don't expect perfection.  But the most important point made so far, I think, is dasindog's: we all use different parts of the program, so a bug that ruins one person's life doesn't affect someone else at all.  So I'm really interested to know what type of bugs you've encountered, engrtech.

For example, I rarely deal with cogo points, but I use feature lines all the time.  I don't use 3D views, everything is in 2D wireframe.  Alignments, profiles, sections, surfaces are everyday work.  Assemblies & corridors I use less often, but often enough.  Pipes have never been good enough in profile view so far; we've been reduced to using wipeouts or turning off the profile display after tracing over them.  Any improvements there would be welcome.

So where are the bugs, please?  What parts of the program are you using?  What parts are dirty, what parts are clean?

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Mentor
dasindog
Message 15 of 24 (457 Views)

01-04-2013 08:27 AM in reply to: troma

My use of Civil 3D seems very close to yours. I would be interested in hearing more about your issues with pipe networks displayed in profile view. I use this very often so maybe I could be of some help there. 

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 16 of 24 (454 Views)

01-04-2013 09:00 AM in reply to: troma

I'm with Dustin, we have gone from 2009-2012-2013 and are having good success.

Troma, like Dustin said, can you elaborate on some of the problems?

Engrtech, we are having good success with the pipe networks so more info would be appreciated.

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 Certified Professional
Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 (SP2)
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 17 of 24 (446 Views)

01-04-2013 09:50 AM in reply to: klugb

1. Draw the inside wall of the structure, not the outside.  (we got around this by making structures with 1mm wall thickness)

2. Draw pipes to the wall of the structure, not the centre.  I know you can hide the pipe inside the structure, but you can tell it is not at the invert elevation at the wall.  The lower pipe should match right to the bottom corner of  the structure rather than going underneath it (with zero sump).

3. Don't draw the structure rim.  Just draw the two sides, and trim them off at the road profile.

4. 'Trim' or hide the structure wall where a pipe is entering.

5. Draw connected pipes as true elipses rather than polygons.

I might think of more, but that'll do for now.

Mentor
dasindog
Message 18 of 24 (442 Views)

01-04-2013 10:15 AM in reply to: troma

Those are some very specific drafting related requests. I think it would be well worth your time to evaluate displaying pipes and structure as civil 3d does by default. I can't imagine the amount of time one could spend applying these standards to a large set of structures and pipes.

The point I'm trying to get across is... are the drafting standards getting in the way of production time and is that communicating something important about the design or is it merely a preference in graphical representation?

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 19 of 24 (436 Views)

01-04-2013 10:35 AM in reply to: troma

I was thinking the same thing and not very consistent. Why have VERY specific and super accurate graphics for the display of the pipe, but then not want to show the rim correctly? Most structures (in our area) are not at CL of the road and they truly are lower (10' offset at 2% cross= 0.2' lower than CL).

I understand your desires for drafting consistency,  but we took the approach of , does it make a difference in construction?

Typically they have 11x17 plans that are at 1"=40' with a vertical exaggeration. At that size/scale does it really matter how the graphics look? They are going to construct based on the noted elevations.

Back to the original reason for the thread. I personally don't consider these bugs but  more a lack of flexibility in customizing the output to meet your standards.

I attached a drainage sheet out of a current project that is completely setup with everything dynamic. No edits to the structures or pipes or notes (other than dragging them around for clarity).

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 Certified Professional
Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 (SP2)
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 20 of 24 (427 Views)

01-04-2013 11:10 AM in reply to: klugb

I don't mean to hijack this thread.  I guess I should hop on over to the wishes forum with my list.  But you have answered my question anyway: C3D 2013 doesn't fix anything on that topic.

Maybe 'fix' is a bit harsh, since this isn't something 'broken'.  It is working as intended.  But really, how hard could it be?  We can draw the centreline, inside wall or outside wall of pipes, so why not the inside wall of structures?  We can hide the end of the pipe in the structure, why can't we hide the piece of sturcture crossed by the pipe?  Bruce I can use your argument against yourself: at the scale of drawings on paper, why would you want to see the rim of the structure?  It is no more than meaningless clutter.  The drawing looks clean and polished without it.  It doesn't add any information for the end user.

Yes, these are 'only' drafting standards.  But this is intended to be a drafting program.  I don't care about the 3D model of the pipes any more than I care about the spec's of my computer or plotter: it is a means to an end, not the end itself.  The intended end result is good-looking clean uncluttered drawings that have all the necessary information.  Us drafters here have managed to persuade our overlords to ignore the clutter on preliminary drawings until the design is finalized.  But when drawings go for approval or construction they need to be clean.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.