Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2011 runs slow and likes to "not respond"

48 REPLIES 48
Message 1 of 49
civildja
6477 Views, 48 Replies

Civil 3D 2011 runs slow and likes to "not respond"

Have the new 64 bit version of Civil 3D 2011 running on a desktop.

Desktop specs

Windows 7 x64

AMD Phenom 8450e Triple-Core processor 2.1 GHz

8 Gb Ram

ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics card

I have noticed while running both Civil 3D 2011, and AutoCAD 2011, that the software tends to "not respond" pretty frequently. It also seems to lag every once in a while when scrolling. Not sure if maybe there is something else I need to do to optimize my computer to be able to handle the civil 3D software better? I would think the triple core processor and 8 gigs of ram would be enough, but maybe not.

Any suggestions on stuff to try?

48 REPLIES 48
Message 41 of 49
brburklund
in reply to: oceanside

Sinc,

Importing a raster image in Civil3d 2009 32 bit vs 2011 64 bit is a good comparison.  We have a 90 meg aerial photo and the time to insert the file is about 7 seconds in 2009 32 bit. (I made new Civil3d jobs using two different Civil3d versions)

In 2011 64 bit, it takes about three mintues to load the image.  To run the command "imageframe" and choose 1 or 0, it takes about 45 seconds.  It shows as not responding, but if you wait it out, it will come back. 

(The computer is Windows 7 64 bit, I7 3.0 ghz 12 gig Ram, Raid 5)

Message 42 of 49
granite07
in reply to: civildja

same here with 2011 and 2012 C3D

documented here in another thread

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2012/Memory-or-Video-Card-to-revitalize-old-computer/m-p/30346...

and opened a new thread specific to the 3D orbit in 2D wireframe

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/2D-amp-3D-wireframe-orbit-performance-quirks/m-p/3030...

Open-hardware workstation
AMD Deneb C3 x4 3.6 GHz

ASUS M4A87TD (non-EVO) AMD 870|SB850

16 GB DDR3 RAM 4x4 PC12800/1600MHz
OCZ REVO Drive 1RVDX0240

Liquid cooled

Server 2008R2
C3D 2012 F.51.0.0

FirePro 3D V7800 2GB RAM Driver v8.773.1.1 Server2008 (and several other cards)

Forest Peterson, granite@stanford.edu; build-sheet
Message 43 of 49
jeffbreisch5030
in reply to: tfboles

I have researched this issue on here and I found that the SAVEFIDELITY set to "0" makes all the difference in the world in Civil3d 2011, the Saves and the random blue circles went away for us

Message 44 of 49
Sinc
in reply to: jeffbreisch5030

"Random blue circles"...?

It's very surprising that changing that option would have any real effect.  I suspect something else.  What sort of hardware are you using?

That option really only controls backward-compatibility of Annotative Objects for 2007 and earlier.  Internally, it forces a version of each Annotative object to be created as a new "anonymous block" on a different internal layer.  (You only see the one layer in Layer Manager, but "behind the scenes", Autocad will create a new layer for each Annotative Scale you're using.)  So you can end up with "runaway Annotative Scales" if you turn on ANNOAUTOSCALE, but you should typically be OK otherwise.  Unless maybe if you're running on rather old hardware.

I typically leave the visual fidelity option turned on, and have never seen "random blue circles"...  Not sure what would cause that.

Sinc
Message 45 of 49

We have made this change on 20 Computers and 2 offices and the Difference is amazing, Maybe its some kind of glitch because, You are right it makes no sence

Intel (R) Xeon CPU  33520 @2.67ghz

12gb ram

64bit windows 7

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420

Message 46 of 49
Sinc
in reply to: jeffbreisch5030

@jeffbreisch5030 wrote:

We have made this change on 20 Computers and 2 offices and the Difference is amazing, Maybe its some kind of glitch because, You are right it makes no sence

@intel (R) Xeon CPU  33520 @2.67ghz

12gb ram

64bit windows 7

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 420

Glad you're seeing a difference.  But with your hardware, I'd STRONGLY recommend you go with a 2nd Gen (aka Sandy Bridge) i5/i7 over what you have.

One of the things that makes me very suspicious is that Intel's website does not even list the 33520 as a chip.  So I'm wondering if it's a clone/knockoff.  Also, the Xeon series in general is a waste of money for C3D, since all it does is let you use multiple CPUs (a waste for a single-threaded app like C3D), or address more memory (also a waste for C3D, which has rapidly-diminishing returns for RAM above 16GB).  You get a far better bang-for-the-buck by going with one of the 2nd-Gen i5/i7 series CPUs along with a max 16GB RAM.

And the Quadro NVS series is actually NOT recommended for C3D...  Don't be fooled by the "Quadro" in there.  The "NVS" is the key.  For C3D (and AutoCAD in general), avoid any card that has "NVS" in its nomenclature, even if it also has "Quadro" thrown in there.  If that hardware is working better for you than what you had before, then that's great, but you could do a lot better.

Sinc
Message 47 of 49
BHFH
in reply to: Sinc

@sinc: Looks like its a Xeon 3520. Equals to a i7-920 LGA1366. Its still a powerful but power hungry sytem (mine sucks 250W idle, low 400W load). I also have a i7 2600k and that system is 160W load.

Message 48 of 49

This is a Dell Precision t3500, I have no control over what we have here, there are newer computers here also and they all have the same issues, I actually read about the setting in another thread on here and there were a lot of people Commenting on how much of a difference it made, although it still makes no sence

Message 49 of 49
shelmer
in reply to: civildja

If I have large aerial imagery, I also get very lon (5min+) regens.  I have updated to the latest certified driver for my Quadro 4000 video card, and it helped somewhat - but it is not fixed.  If I disable the hardware acceleration, the regens are instant.  Is there a paticular setting within the video settings that could be disabled as opposed to entirely disabling hardware acceleration that may help my situation?  Or something else??

quick specs:

Xeon E5-1620 3.60ghz

16gb RAM

Quadro 4000 video

Win 7 64 bit

(Dell Precision T3600)

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report