Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2011 runs slow and likes to "not respond"

48 REPLIES 48
Message 1 of 49
civildja
6480 Views, 48 Replies

Civil 3D 2011 runs slow and likes to "not respond"

Have the new 64 bit version of Civil 3D 2011 running on a desktop.

Desktop specs

Windows 7 x64

AMD Phenom 8450e Triple-Core processor 2.1 GHz

8 Gb Ram

ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics card

I have noticed while running both Civil 3D 2011, and AutoCAD 2011, that the software tends to "not respond" pretty frequently. It also seems to lag every once in a while when scrolling. Not sure if maybe there is something else I need to do to optimize my computer to be able to handle the civil 3D software better? I would think the triple core processor and 8 gigs of ram would be enough, but maybe not.

Any suggestions on stuff to try?

48 REPLIES 48
Message 21 of 49
oceanside
in reply to: micahnsmith

Having problems too.  Not only my computer but others running Civil 3D 2011.  Don't notice problem with Architecture or Map 3D (these are on other computers).  Just Civil 3D.  It happens whenever it wants.  So what's up with that?

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit

Dell Precision T7500

Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU  E5502 @ 1.87 GHz 1.86 GHz (2 Processors)

NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 8.17.0012.5912

the best is at the beach!
Message 22 of 49
Sinc
in reply to: hgohel

@HGohel wrote:

We are very interested in tracking down this issue about Civil3D/AutoCAD not responding that has been reported, but one that we haven't been able to nail down.  Any specific information on how to reproduce would be appreciated.

People in this thread seem to be talking about several different issues.

As far as the issue of the cursor disappearing for a while, then eventually coming back, or coming back as soon as the Task Manager is started and then closed...  I noticed these problems started when Autodesk started using WPF.  It's almost as if some event fires unexpectedly, and focus in the Autocad Application gets attached to "something bad".  When it happens, the cursor can be seen if it is on other monitors, or otherwise not over the Autocad application window.  If the user tries to move the cursor over the Autocad application window, however, the cursor disappears.

I actually have not tried disabling Aero to see if that improves things...  I think I'll try that, especially on the one computer we have that seems to hit this issue a lot (that one has a Quadro FX 580 video card).  I've seen the same issue occassionally on my computers (one with a GeForce 9600GT, the other with a GeForce 9800GT), but it's rare.

Sinc
Message 23 of 49
Bugpop
in reply to: Sinc

The issue is present in both AutoCAD 2011 and Civil 3D 2011.  I have Raster Design 2011 Object Enabler installed because we often make use of aerial imagery which is in a format which requires the Raster Design Object Enabler.  I have been able to recreate this issue consistently with attached aerial SID images (regens taking up 5 to 20+ minutes).  This is not to say that raster images are the cause.  I experience the issue even without attached raster images however the period of "not responding" tends to be shorter (20 seconds to 2 minutes, but usually between 30 and 60 seconds) during regens and the incidents occur less often. 

We get our aerial imagery in SID format from the Houston-Galveston Area Council.  We have the 2010 Aerial SIDS however 2006 aerial imagery can be downloaded free of charge from their website under Regional Data and GIS Services.

Again, I have 

Windows 7 x 64

Intel i7 920

12 GB Ram

FireGL V7700 with driver 8.634

AutoCAD 2011 x64

Civil 3D 2011 x64

Raster Design 2011 x64  (I can run RD on top of AutoCAD or C3D).

If you care to open the task manager to view running proccesses and memory usage it may be something interesting to do while waiting for AutoCAD Civil 3D to resolve it's issue.

Create a new DWG

Insert a SID aerial image, It doesn't matter if you insert the raster image using the world file or if you insert it at the origin.  I have experience the issue at both locations. 

Zoom extents, zoom to a 100' x 100' are on the raster image, and REGEN.  Keep repeating unti it stops responding.  It will often stop responding during the first REGEN.

Wait for AutoCAD/Civil 3D to become resonsive again.  It will eventually become responsive.

I also installed an educational version of AutoCAD 2011 on my home machine

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Intel i3 530

8GB DDR3 Ram

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 with 1GB DDR3

I reproduced the issue on my home machine as well.  I haven't experience the error otherwise but I only installed AutoCAD 2011 for the purposes of recreating the issue. 

Message 24 of 49
Bugpop
in reply to: civildja

We recreated the issue on another workstation.

Windows XP x32

Intel Core2 Duo E8500

4GB Ram

nVidia GeForce 9800

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011 x32  without RD 2011

New DWG

Inserted TIF image

Zoomed into an part of the image, regenerated,  and it stopped responding.  We had to end the task after 5 minutes.  We couldn't wait for regen to complete.

Message 25 of 49
justin_hogan
in reply to: Sinc

I am having this same problem of AutoCAD 2011 not responding.  The cursor goes away and doesnt fully load.  Task manager says not responding.    Happen when you launch the program.   New lab with 20 computers 15 work and 5 have problems.  Must end task to get out of it.

Message 26 of 49
tony1978
in reply to: civildja

have you tried turning off your Hardware acceleration? This could be your problem.

Type 3DCONFIG and then Manual Tune

tony

www.tonyscivil3dworld.blogspot.com

Tony Carcamo

President/Owner

Civil CAD Learning Solutions

DFW BIM Infrastructure User Group

LinkedIn | Twitter | Instagram | DFWBIUG |User Group

Message 27 of 49
neilyj666
in reply to: oceanside

C3D seems much faster if the Layer Properties Manager is turned off (usually have it open in 2nd monitor) which is a bit poor on the part of Autodesk given the spec of the machine I'm using...!!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 28 of 49
oceanside

Already tried the 3DCONFIG, Manual Tune as suggested many times.  Didn't work for me.

the best is at the beach!
Message 29 of 49
tfboles

We seem to think that Norton is causing the problem.

The users in our office have taken to disabling the virus scan BEFORE loading autocad.

THere has been considerably less screaming and cursing.

If you load autocad before diabling Norton it sometimes does not work.

Yes,  We have add numerous exclusions to Norton in attempes to solve the problem to no avail.

We have not found a comprehensive list of exclusions to refer to.

Are those of you commenting ion this issue also seeing ACAD grab 25 to 30 % of CPU for extended periods during these events?

Are you also using Norton?

Message 30 of 49
Bugpop
in reply to: tfboles

I started a fresh instance of AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011.  Attached a single .SID aerial image to a new drawing from acad.dwt.  Zoomed into the equivalent of about a 100' x 100' area inside the image and regenerated the drawing.  Civil 3D has been chugged along with the regeneration for 16 minutes.  The memory usage increased from 320,000 KB to 375,000 KB and decreased back down to 320,000 KB every 2-3 seconds during the whole time.  I am aware of the issue with McAfee however there is no evidence of any On-Active File Scanning of any files that are remotely relevant to AutoCAD products during the entire time.  I included screenshots of McAfee On-Access Scan with task manager of the files being actively scanned.

In larger drawings the memory usage will start out at around 350,000 KB and will exceed 1,000,000 KB after a regen.

In the same drawing with the one aerial image, I did a bit more testing, and disabling Hardware Acceleration helps while zoomed into the 100'x100' area  When zoomed out I notice performance issues.  Hardware acceleration helps while zoomed out.  In an actual drawing with tens of thousands of objects and an attached aerial image, disabling hardware accelleration cripples the program.

When I insert the same raster image using the Autodesk FDO provider for Raster, there are no issues.

On top of that I have a FireGL V7700 which is certified for use with Windows 7x64 and AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011x64.  There should be no issues anyway, especially with a single aerial image.

Message 31 of 49
bigblittlerent
in reply to: Bugpop

Just a thought...

Civil 3D writes an instance of the image to your local TEMP directory.  I have noticed serious performance issues with a cluttered temp directory.

Message 32 of 49
Bugpop
in reply to: bigblittlerent

It does this when using the Autodesk FDO for Provider for Raster, however my regens are not unreasonable when inserting raster images in this manner.

When I attach images in the reference manager or using Raster Design I am not aware of local instances saved to temporary directories. 

To be sure I have created new temporary directories for Civil 3D to use but the problem persists when images are attached in the reference manager.

Message 33 of 49
justin_hogan

I cant even get into AutoCAD.  it freezes up before the application lauches.

Message 34 of 49
Bugpop
in reply to: justin_hogan

It's probably another issue

Open up Task Manager and see if WSCOMMCNTR2 is still running.

End the task

Message 35 of 49

AutoCAD wont even load long enough to load the WSCOMMCNTR2  or maybe that is the problem it doesnt load the WSCOMMCNTR2???

Just did a fresh install per Autodesk instructions and still not responding after it starts to load.  never gets to the splash screen.

Message 36 of 49
neilyj666

...and this is another thing that occurs all too frequently... and inevitably causes a lot of rework

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 37 of 49
nathan1899

For me if I not disable but totally exit out of Norton my issues go away.  I believe Norton is stopping some of the processes in C3D.  C3D would start to "not respond" for many things that seemed unconnected but when I shut off Norton it fixed the issues.

Civil 3D 2011 SP1
Win 7 Pro x64
4Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T3500

Message 38 of 49
gccdaemon
in reply to: nathan1899

We're using Nortons Hosted Endpoint Protection and we don't have the long hangs like you guys are discussing.

I am experiencing a problem with my graphics card locking up my OS and have to hard reboot, but that seems to happen in other graphics heavy applications IE Google earth.

As for the not responding messages, those only pop-up because you're clicking on and off the program when it's still processing and doesn't not actually mean that autocad has locked up.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 39 of 49
tfboles

It has become my routine to disable norton for 5 hours at a time.  

once the problem starts you must exit acad to stop it. (and possible reboot??)

Disabling norton after the first occurance will not stop it

Message 40 of 49
justin_hogan

Had a similar problem with AutoCAD and Inventor 2011.   Go to the control panel, add/delete programs, and click on the .NET framework.  When it asked to remove or repair simply click on repair.  This will fix it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report