Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d 2011 and Google Earth Surface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Isaiah3015
904 Views, 4 Replies

Civil 3d 2011 and Google Earth Surface

I am new to creating surfaces in c3d with Google Earth (GE). My coordinates are correctly set (NAD83 Oregon State Planes (Polyconic), North Zone, Intn'l Foot) and my surfaces come out beautiful except for one thing - where the actual survey and google earth may differ by a few feet, c3d is off by more than a hundred. For example: The actual contours range in elevation from 184' to 196'. In panning GE the elevations range from 180' to 200'. In C3d, however, they range from 55' to 61'. What's up with that?

Communication is the key to our success.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: Isaiah3015

Check your settings and orientation in Google Earth.  You need to ensure that the Elevation Exaggeration setting = 1, and that your viewpoint is straight down, with North up before importing data. 

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
Isaiah3015

Thanks for your input. All of those parameters are set correctly. I am thinking there is something in c3d that I need to adjust. ?

Message 4 of 5
sboon

I noticed that the elevation errors reported in the original post would be about right for a feet to meters conversion.  Is it possible that your drawing units are metric, or that the labels are displaying that way?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 5
Isaiah3015

SBoone, Yes that was the problem! Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report