Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D 2009 - Computer Specs - 64bit vs 32bit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
cad_monkey_77
281 Views, 6 Replies

Civil 3D 2009 - Computer Specs - 64bit vs 32bit

I've done a bunch of reading in the forums and have gathered some information but it seems that most people are still 32bit, 4GB RAM and possibly using the /3GB switch.

I'm thinking of going 64bit so that I can have 4GB available just for Civil 3D and the other 12GB (yes 16GB Total) for other applications BUT I am not sure if the 4GB that 32bit applications pull is split up as I open 32bit applications. If I open Civil 3D and ArcGIS do each program get 4GB?

I would really like to hear from the 64bit users (XP or Vista) that are running Civil using large datasets and also using other high end software to do analysis.

I'm running 2 boxes right now but may change one over to 64bit if it's feasible performance wise, money wise I don't care.

Box #1:
XP 32bit
2 x Dual Core AMD Operton (poor mans quad hehe) 1.8GHZ
4GB RAM (running /3GB switch)
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5500
HD's 10,000 RPM

Box #2:
XP 32bit
Intel Quad Core 2.4ghz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700
HD's 10,000 RPM

Box #2 to be:
XP 64bit
Intel Quad Core 2.4ghz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5500
HD's 10,000 RPM

Thanks,
Chase
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
John7
in reply to: cad_monkey_77

Might be great for CAD but my understanding is most other software does not properly support 64bit (ie drivers etc).

I too thought of going this way but you would need a dual boot system (with both 32bit & 64bit OS).

I use other apps too much as part of my CAD work so its not really practical for me.

John7
Message 3 of 7
jim-kansas

I am testing phase now. Have duel boot system. XP64 w/ 8GB RAM. Testing Civil 3-D. So far GOOD. Fewer lockups and crashes. Can still get it to crash. ACAD needs to get bugs out and get 64 Bit running stable. With 3D data You need all the RAM you can get.

FYI the 3GB switch changes nothing other than display it what tells you. Newer Duel Core uses all it has on deck without switch.
Message 4 of 7
ekubaskie

Each 32-bit app that is large-address-aware will get 4G to play in. I haven't checked whether ArcGIS 9.2/9.3 qualifies, but Civil 3D 2009 does.

I have been running both, though, on Vista Ultimate 64-bit w/ 8G RAM, with no complaints so far. Faster starts, faster operation, bigger surfaces... but you have to be careful not to make surfaces/corridors/etc. so big that your 32-bit boxes crash when they load the DWGs.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

>> but you have to be careful not to make surfaces/corridors/etc. so big that your 32-bit boxes crash when they load the DWGs. <<

Very good point.
Message 6 of 7

What are you talking about? The 3GB switch has nothing to do with your CPU, it has to do with how Windows uses virtual memory.
Message 7 of 7

A user on the ArcGIS forums gave me this link, it is pretty informative about 32bit/64bit and RAM.

http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

Based on what's been posted here and what I have read elsewhere I think going 64bit is worth it for me as performance would increase.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report