Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civ3D Point Group Wish

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Terrain_IaPLS
194 Views, 3 Replies

Civ3D Point Group Wish

Maybe off base, yet we keep wanting to have CIV3D points listed in more than one point group. Description keys are set up and go to respective group being layer managed. So all set, source points nicely managed in Civ3D point groups. Problem, we then may want "select" points from an existing group (or groups) to display for say final plan use. Perfect for the Label Styles, yet once we make a NEW point group from points in an existing group, now this "robbing from peter & paul" approach changes our point group/ display obviously.
If we do any point Exclusions/Inclusions in the query, then once toggled off, user looses all that work to make this overriding group. We're resorting to cut/past MTEXT to save the list, but keep thinking must be better approach.
Wish Being, Sure would be nice if the group query would STAY intact, and an option existed to be simply make point group "ACTIVE or INACTIVE". This way, points could be used in multiple groups, and based on the hierchy to simply revert these CIV3D points as the group back to any form of mass display. (Lost yet ??) Or are we the ones alittle lost??
Any food for thought ?? Greatly appreciated.
Geoff T.

Xi Computer CM-MasterCase Pro 5 tower case (Win10 O.S.)
Ten Core i9-7900X @ 3.3/4.5GHz Sealed Water Cooled
w/ Asus PRIME X299-A mobo
32GB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz RAM
SSD Samsung 850 EVO H.D.
Nvidia Quadro P2000 (span2) + 2000
3 ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED displays

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Self reply,
Overnight, we thought harder just to open a new Civ3D dwg and XML out "all_points" from the parent project. Then, cut/paste in the exclusion list. Once done, renumber to a desired range, then pump back to the parent dwg for use.
So, for some locations we'll have 2 points on diff. managed layers, but this seamed fasted solution.
YET Still problem, from our XML export that is clean and reports as should, then we IMPORT the XML from the General tab, the points are being renumbered from say 1 on up and we loose the source numbering.
We ENSURED the point "feature" object settings were correct under the Edit Feature Settings, yet we cannot get the XML import to recognize the existing point #'s in the report.
Toggled the "Use" under "if point #'s are supplied", yet still renumbers the import XML.
Any Ideas ??
Using (still) 2005 and have had alot of issues with some of the ambient settings / feature settings not working as should. Would this happen to be another, or ??

Thanks, in advance.
Geoff T.
Geoff T.

Xi Computer CM-MasterCase Pro 5 tower case (Win10 O.S.)
Ten Core i9-7900X @ 3.3/4.5GHz Sealed Water Cooled
w/ Asus PRIME X299-A mobo
32GB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz RAM
SSD Samsung 850 EVO H.D.
Nvidia Quadro P2000 (span2) + 2000
3 ViewSonic VG2436wm-LED displays

Message 3 of 4
abissman
in reply to: Terrain_IaPLS

Our reseller came up with a neat way to solve this problem. If you create a blank point group (with all points selected, but a style with all layers off). Then if you right-click on Point Groups you can change the order points display in. So move the groups you want to view above the blank group. And the ones you want inactive below it.
Message 4 of 4
asjanke
in reply to: Terrain_IaPLS

this works good! to be honest when working in a private firm and taking on points groups from survey firms all over the whole points description key set is a huge waste of time compared to point groups.

Note to civil3d devs: description key sets can be useful but are in NO way better than being able to control point groups with individual layers. I found myself wishing I had never set up the description key sets and just overriding them on a regular basis. I would be willing to take a performance hit in order to have my point group layer control back.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report