Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Levels on Longsection

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
richielee84
1027 Views, 7 Replies

Channel Levels on Longsection

Hi,

I have created an alignment and longsection and overlayed my assembly to produce the corridor through my alignment. However it is standard practice in the UK to show the channel levels on a longsection. Can this be done?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
troma
in reply to: richielee84

Probably.
Can you post a picture of how it should look?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 8
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: richielee84

Yes, two possible methods.
If your corridor is a single section with no breaks in the model or additional offset or baselines defining the channels you can select the corridor model and export featureline as profile. This will create a profile on the alignment but it will be static so any tweaks you will need to delete and redo.

For a dynamic profile you need to create an alignment of the channels, create a sudo corridor with edges extending out from the alignment,by a bit then create a surface and hide the two. Now create profile from that surface on each alignment and superimpose on master.
I have not tried this but you may not be able to add any labels on this. So you may have to add manually try it with another profile first and see if it will allow labels.

Otherwise you're into the realms of vb.net 3dpolylineToProfile or the landxml hack both of which are not dynamic.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 4 of 8
Neilw_05
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Why not extract featurelines from the corridor and project those onto the profile? They would be dynamic.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 8
Capn_Sam
in reply to: Neilw_05

Hi,

I followed what you have said in order to generate my channel lines on section, but I still need to push this through into 2 separate bands. One for the left hand channel levels, and one for the right hand channel levels.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Sam

Message 6 of 8
ksorsby
in reply to: Capn_Sam

Given you'll have a top surface for the corridor, I've always created offset alignments, generated profiles for those through the Top surface and projected those profiles on the main long section. Dynamic, but loses geometry so it's levels at your defined intervals only. Can have issues around tight curves where it can zig-zag up the face of the kerb.

You don't need 2 bands either, you can use a single band with Left and Right channel levels fixed to the top and bottom respectively, use Profile 1 as the left channel and Profile 2 as the right. Saves space.

It is a functionality that C3D needs, to be honest. Virtually every road job I've worked for demands channel levels on a single profile view.

Kevin

Message 7 of 8
Capn_Sam
in reply to: ksorsby

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the response. I'm a little surprised that there no feature for showing/generating channel levels easily.  I'm actually leaning towards just doing it by hand as I'm just not that comfortable with the work around I have been exploring.

Message 8 of 8
ksorsby
in reply to: Capn_Sam

Actually, the company I previously worked at, most people did channel levels by hand especially where transitions to crossfall were involved. I preferred the surface method as it did pick up these things but it meant dealing with offset alignments, not easy with irregular road shapes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report