Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

channel design assembly and contour issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sfore
561 Views, 3 Replies

channel design assembly and contour issue

I have a ditch with multiple assemblies.  It starts out using an assembly made up of generic subassemblies (link width and slope) that makes a trapezoidal ditch.  Then it transitions to an assembly made up of generic subassemblies to create a channel with vertical walls. 

See pic of channel assembly and corridor model.  I used link width and slope for bottom of channel, link vertical and link slope to surface for walls.  On the link slope to surface, I typed 'vertical' in the slope parameter to get it vertical.  The height varies.  I didn't know what else to use for this situation.  The corridor modeled it when flipped up in the Object Viewer, but there's no contours.  The only contours shown are on my trapezoidal ditch area.

Why no contours for the 'generic channel' assembly area?  Is it because it's vertical?  I thought it would at least contour ditch bottom.  I didn't use channel sub due to attachment point and varying height needed.  Would move command work to get channel bottom to be attachment point to ride on profile grade?  Also, would link slope to surface (w/ typed 'vertical' for slope) work if attached at top of channel sub?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
lim.wendy
in reply to: sfore

Hi Shawn,

While adding the surface in Corridor, have you change the Overhang Correction to Top Link?

OverhangCorrection.JPG

Ditch.JPG

Smiley Happy

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 3 of 4
sfore
in reply to: lim.wendy

At first I didn't toggle 'Top Links' for the Overhang Correction.  I just toggled it and still no contours for the channel area.

BUT, I toggled 'OFF' all my regions with exception to the channel area and contours displayed. 

See pic.  Not sure if its where my frequency is set to 10', but surface is spotty. 

Could surface display problem be a transition problem going from a Trapezoidal ditch to a channel as to why contours won't display when all regions are on?  I even tried applying another Trapezoidal assembly with steeper side slopes to try and get the contours to tie into the channel wall thinking that it just can't go from a 2:1 to vertical tie.  I tried increasing separation (transition) between assemblies with no luck.

Message 4 of 4
sboon
in reply to: sfore

It appears that your corridor has breaks between regions, and I'm guessing that you're using the Shrinkwrap option for your surface boundary.  If that is the case then your surface boundary will enclose the first region only, and exclude the rest of the corridor. 

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report