Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Pipe Material

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
f_bobadilla
2648 Views, 15 Replies

Changing Pipe Material

How come I can't change the default pipe material for my parts list from Reinforced Concrete to PVC?  When I select from the drop down I click OK and nothing happnes, the material stays as RCP.  See attached image.  This is quite annoying when creating networks, I have to go and change each pipe manually.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
sjg
Advisor
in reply to: f_bobadilla

See attached image. You need to create a PVC Part Family in your Parts List
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 3 of 16
jmayo-EE

Is your label calling out a decription for material?

Is the network referenced into your file?

In the image you posted the field is not gray which should mean that you can edit he field.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 16
f_bobadilla
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Hi John,

I'm calling out the material.  The item is not grayed out but I still can't edit. Or at least when I apply the changes It goes back to the default.

I already created the PVC part family

Message 5 of 16
f_bobadilla
in reply to: sjg

PVC part family is created already

Message 6 of 16
MikeEvansUK

There is no method apart from custom aaplications (vba) to globally change the part's material.

NB: You dont actually need a PVC Pipe part to specify a PVC pipe material. This is defigned by part size as listed in the part catalog used or Pipe by pipe.

The Pipe Material is an editable "managed list" and as such should save any material entered for future use. It is however advisable for management and correct sizes to use a correct part.

To create parts with the correct Material information you can:

Edit the Part catalogue and change ANY defigned pipes material to PVC. ie add the relevant sizes, edit the properties and enter the defult material.

To do so on an existing design is a little tricky but I believe Landxml will help here.

Export the network to landxml. Edit the part catalog as above. Delete the network from the drawing, delete/rename the standard parts list. rename the required one to standard and re-import the landxml file.

Hopefully this should create the network back as it was (but detached from surfaces) with the new part materials. I haven't needed to do this for a while so I'm not sure what the outcome will be.

M.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 16
Joe-Bouza

Hello Francisco

I too had this problem recently and went to PB and re-assigned the materials , then regencatalog., but existing network pars had to either be replaced or swapped - I don't recall which it was.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Cannot-get-Pipe-Material-into-the-part/m-p/50...

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
f_bobadilla
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe -  Nice to hear from you.  How do you change the pipe material list in Part builder? Through XML?  I couldnt find any way to do that.

Thanks

Francisco

Message 9 of 16
jmayo-EE

Here's what I do. Open your a part in partbuilder. Use the 'Save Part Family As' button to create a new part for the new material. Use a name that corresponds to the material. I used CLASS 52 DIP for the part shown in the attachment (the name is covered by the tooltip). Most of the pipes will call upon this name for the material as you can see in the second attachment. Save the family when you are done editing. Create a new entry in your part list for the new pipe family and add sizes.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
f_bobadilla

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  I did the procedure and I still get the same Reinforced Concrete Pipe.  I did a new drawing and still getting the same results 😞

See my screen shot below.  Did I miss a step?

Message 11 of 16
jmayo-EE

Perhaps I forgot to type a step. :0

Expand the tree in partbuilder. Did you edit the name under the Part Configuration? See untitled.png

When you created each size in the part list did you confirm the material? See untitled2.png

As others have noted you can always change anby pipe material in the pipes properties dialog. A great method for a few pipes. Not a great solution for 300 pipes.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
f_bobadilla

Hi John,

Yes I did that step.  However the strange part is that I can see PVC under the material list, however when I try to select it from the drop down, it goes back to RCP.  See the attached images.  Im guessing it has to do with not liking my materials except the RCP one?

Im using 2015 Civil 3d if that helps, maybe is a bug?

Message 13 of 16
jmayo-EE

This is tough to debug w/o your file and catalog...

Run PARTCATALOGREGEN at the command line and refresh the catalog for pipes and structures. Any help?

Was a custom property added to the PVC part in partbuilder?

I am wondering what happens if you try in a new separate file, deleteing the family from the PARTS LIST (not the catalog) and recreate it.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
f_bobadilla

Hmmmm tried all the above and no luck.  I believe is a bug.

I did not created a custom property in part builder.  Here is the Pipe catalog if that helps

Message 15 of 16
ToreLindell

Hi

I have the same problem in 2015, I save a part to an new one in partbuilder make changes to pipe dimensions then partcatalogregen and it doesn´t work.

However if I start 2014 and set the pipecatalog to 2015 it works.

Structures doesn´t work, think some values are mixed up, my structures must have a rim to height thats 0.2 meter bigger than the structure inner diameter.

Same thing here works in 2014 but not in 2015.

Message 16 of 16
bwirej
in reply to: ToreLindell

Hello

I do have a somewhat similar problem. I created several sewer pipe networks using PVC pipes since it is the most preferred pipe for my project. However, there are sections where, due to levels and site conditions, the pipe has to run above ground and therefore Ductile Iron or Steel would have to be used instead of PVC. 

I have, however, failed to change the PVC pipes i had used to Ductile iron or Steel without necessarily deleting the original pipe/s. 

Can some please help me on how to change the PVC pipes already in my networks to a different material without having to delete them? I have already added these part families to my network part list. 

Thank you

Justin B.

Civil Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report