Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Pipe Material

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
oceanside
15383 Views, 22 Replies

Changing Pipe Material

Version Civil 3D 2013....A pipe network has been created & labeled.  All pipes labeled correctly except one.  The material for 15", 18", 24" RCP pipes labeled "RCP" but all the 12" pipes labeled "Reinforced Concrete Pipe".  So I know I need to change the Material of the 12" pipe to read "RCP".  I was hoping to just go to Pipe Properties & change it there for this dwg but it doesn't change.  I was thinking it might be in the part xml file but why would some label "RCP" and the 12" didn't? The Parts Catolog used in this dwg is the default from Autodesk.  Also, in the Part List, Material is greyed out.  That's the first place I went to change the Material. Any suggestions?

the best is at the beach!
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
mathewkol
in reply to: oceanside

When you go into pipe properties and look at Material, what does it say?  RCP?  If this material is correct then it wouls seem your label style is not labelling the materiual, possibly the pipe description.  Edit your label style so that it's actually labelling the material property of the pipe.

This is my guess anyway.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 23
oceanside

Under pipe properties the Material is listed as "Reinforced Concrete Pipe" and this is just the 12" pipe.  I have other sizes showing the Material being "RCP".  This is the way I have all the concrete pipes listed in the Parts List.  Only the 12" pipe is labeling different from others.  Under the Pipe Properties, I can change the type "RCP" in the Material list but it doesn't save it when hit Apply.  All pipes are using the same label style...

<[2D Length - Center to Center(Uft|P2|RN|AP|Sn|OF)]>'-<[Pipe Inner Diameter or Width(Uin|P0|RN|AP|Sn|OF)]>" <[Material(CP)]> @ <[Pipe Slope(FP|P2|RN|AP|Sn|OF)]>
I just checked the xml file and it is showing "Reinforced Concrete Pipe" for the 12" so maybe if I change it there, it may appear right on screen.  Any thoughts?

Message 4 of 23
mathewkol

The XML file is used in the beginning but once the pipe has been created I don't believe it's used for the material. You say you change that pipe's material but it doesn't stick when you close the properties dualog? Strange. Maybe just delete the bad pipe and recreate it.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 23
oceanside

Yep...that's what I'll do.

Message 6 of 23
Cre9engr

I'm having a similiar problem.  Using the OTB parts provided by Autocad, I'm unable to set the pipe material for certain pipes exactly like the original poster's problem.  The reinforced concrete pipe is an example of one such pipe.  I know it has nothing to do with the my pipe labels.  I've quadruple checked my pipe labels.  Also, erasing the pipe and recreating it doesn't solve the problem.

The only options to fix the problem, to best of my ability, is to either create  a "special" pipe label to be used with concrete pipe that reads "RCP" instead of "Reinforced Conrete Pipe" or create a custom parts catalog that undos all the problems created by Autocad.  I'm hesitant to stick my neck into part builder because of my loathing for the programmer that designed the most dysfunctional and schizophrenic software on Earth.

Creating a custom parts catalog also presents it's own problems at the company makes this solution even more frustrating.

Fred

-Civil 3D 2012

Fred
-Civil 3D 2016 sp2
-Windows 7 64-bit
-Intel Xeon with 3.5 GHz
-16 GB of RAM
-Nvidia Quadro K2200
-Civil 3D user since 2007
Message 7 of 23
oceanside

I have created a custom parts catalog and changed the pipes to read RCP, DIP, PVC, etc.....even added a few new pipes in Parts Builder (that's where you start)... The problem I found here was when I loaded 2013, I forgot to have the Parts Catalog point to the custom catalog on the Network (I thought about this on my way home from work on Tuesday). Now it works just fine.  That may be your solution..

Message 8 of 23
jporter

That's an option, a lot of work, but an option.  I believe the issue that is really in question is, "why can we no longer change the material of the pipe when creating the parts list?"  In previous versions I had this ability.  Now I don't.  I think the reason some of you may not be having this issue is probably because you migrated your catalogs forward (correct me if I'm wrong here).  But I'm working with a client and helping him build his styles and we cannot get the material to read "RCP."  The desired label is something like "12" RCP" but we keep getting "12 inch Reinforced Concrete Pipe" instead. 

I believe the source of the issue may be in the part builder.  For whatever reason it's locked in a constant parameter. 

Take a look at the attached document with images for better clarification of what I'm trying to explain. 

Does anyone know how to unlock this variable? 

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 9 of 23
fordtruckman

Does anyone have an answer to this last question?

I'm having the same issue.  Somehow, I got the HDPE pipes to change so it shows HDPE in that field and in the labels for the pipe material.

But for the RCP is says "concrete pipe" but displays "RCP" in the labels and for PVC it says nothing.

I need the PVC to say the correct thing and would like to make sense of how the other pipes are displaying their material.  I do not understand why this has to be so difficult to get right.  Talk about a lot of wasted time...

Message 10 of 23
oceanside

Under Settings...expand Pipe Network...Part Lists...selected a part list...select Pipes...select a pipe & right click....select Edit...Scroll down to Material and change the name for example Reinforced Concrete Pipe to RCP..select OK....let me know if this works for you..

Message 11 of 23
oceanside

You can go to Home....Create Design....Part Builder...go to Pipes in your Part Catalog....select a pipe...such as Reinforced Concreate Pipe...select the Modify Part Sizes box (should be second box on bottom)...the drawing of pipe should open up with detail on left...expand Pipe..expand Part Configuration...right click name of pipe...edit name there....be sure to Validate...& Save Part Family (symbols up top).....

Message 12 of 23
fordtruckman

Can you show me a screen shot of that last step? I found everything all the way to "Parts Configuration" but then there are a few fields listed there with icons next to them. One says "PVC Pipe" at the top already and the only other one I can change says "Undefined"

I thought that was it, changes "Undefined" to "PVC" but it doesn't fix the problem.
Message 13 of 23
oceanside
in reply to: fordtruckman

Change the Material in the Parts Catalog (instead of Part Builde) under Pipes to PVC... that was the first thing I suggested especially if you already have a parts catalog.  .I'm on East Coast so I'm leaving for the day......I'll check on this tomorrow.....

Message 14 of 23
jporter
in reply to: fordtruckman

I believe I figured it out.  Check out the attached PDF.  I'm sorry for not posting it sooner.  I got busy and, well, you know.  Then I was reminded when the chatter began again.  This was my work around.  I don't know if it's the most efficient, but it worked for me. 

Tell me what you think,

Jason

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 15 of 23
fordtruckman
in reply to: jporter

From what I can tell that looks like it will work excellently! I will check it out tonight, or maybe tomorrow, and get back to you on how it works for me!

Thanks!
Message 16 of 23
kevin

This worked perfectly, it was really easy, just went into the part catalog like you said, edited the Reinforced Concrete Pipe family to change the material parameter (MAT) from "Reinforced Concrete Pipe" to RCP. Thanks.
Message 17 of 23
jporter
in reply to: kevin

@kevin, I hate to assume, but I guess you're speaking of the PDF I posted.  I'm happy to hear it works.  Warning though. . .I don't think it works for versions 2015 or 2016.  I've not tried yet myself, but someone told me the process has changed.  

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 18 of 23
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: jporter

Well done for figuring that one out, quite hidden but been a useful file for a long time.

However I need to point out you do not need to include the Pipe material context physically in the part (through part builder) and as such there is no need for the workaround unless you really want to hard code the material preventing it's change for some reason. Or do not want to have to change the value each time when a part is inserted (I use standard part lists so this is generally only done once).

I use the context PMat and the Shared property xml list. OTB All pipes will have the context "Material_Type" attached to them as do structures. When you insert a part into the Part catalogue you can select the default Material or add a new value, thereafter in the model you can edit to what ever you desire (but curiously not pull down from the managed list in part props) you don't need to edit the managelist file, adding a new material will automatically add to the list if it does not already exist only need to edit to remove unwanted.

This is because the sharedparams file which contains the data for Material states as below:

<AeccDfParameter name="Mat" desc="Material" context="Material_Type" index="0" datatype="String" usage="String_General" managelist="True" unit="" visible="True" internal="True" /> This tells the program to keep a record in the xml file.

I use a lot of custom contexts to add text such as manhole cover sizes, pipe bedding, strength grades and notes to the parts, some of these are also managed lists.

I have been using the parts like this since R2005/6 and hacking the xml files adding new contexts accordingly it has never presented a problem for me, the material is always editable and also visible and correct in the labels. I also swap or change custom context values from excel using VB in one hit which is a lot easier than working through part by part in the application.

For anyone harnessing this I would consider checking the part and just remove the unnecessary Material value from the part in part builder and manage the materials in the part catalogue or in the Civil3d pipes / structures themselves. This I believe is how it was intended to be used as most parts don't have the material inside.

Hope this helps.

Mike

PS: Edit:

The Method has not changed for new versions. See for yourself. If you add a custom context with the new manholes in R2015/16 the custom context will still exist. It is not hardwired and works as previous versions. You can hardwire but that is another story I can not share yet 🙂

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 19 of 23
jporter
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Good point, Mike!  Glad to know.  I'll keep that in mind next time.  I rarely deal with XML files or editing them, but I might just start.

Thanks,

Jason Porter
www.asti.com
Message 20 of 23
kevin
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Thanks for the tips Mike,

I think in this case, It will work out, as I changed the RCP pipe material type to display the name properly, but I am going to have to get better at changing the xml files so our parts more properly fit our company format.  So far i've just been doing it with custom labels, and custom blocks, since the display on the page is all I really care about anyway, but in this case, I had different types of pipe going into a manhole and it wouldn't let me edit each pipe label independently.  Also, interestingly, I noticed that most of the pipes had a default, blank material type that I could change on the fly, the only one I couldn't was the RCP.

I noticed that I don't actually have the parts list xml file on my computer, or i couldn't find it in the default location anyway. which I found odd.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report