Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change template on existing drawing.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
17285 Views, 13 Replies

Change template on existing drawing.

I need to complete a drawing that was started by another company. (in C3D)
Is there a way to see what template it is on and more importantly change it to my template?
Thank you!
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
auzzie2776
in reply to: Anonymous

the quickest way i can think of to do that would be to save your current template to a dwg file and insert that into the drawing. that way all your styles will propagate into that drawing that was done by somebody else. Beware, by doing that if there are any styles the same name, it may create a .1 (dot one) after the style, essentially renameing the old style. example. the old standard becomes standard.1. (i think)

hope this helps
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

I gave that a try and it does not work for what I want to accomplish. What I am really interested in is all the settings for points and surfaces in the toolspace bar. I do not want to go through everything and adjust all these settings. I was hoping to be able to just take this drawing and move it onto our template that already has all the settings the way I need them.
Any other ideas please?
Message 4 of 14
auzzie2776

you will need to change the surfaces and points to your new styles that you just inserted via the dwg, they wont change by themselves. if all the points are in groups you can modify all the points by group settings. there should be no need to modify any settings if your own template had them in there. Oh, did you save your drawing, get out and come back in. sometimes the styles that you have inserted via the drawing dont show up until you get out and come back in. well thats been my experience anyways

hope this helps
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Setting from your Template: I'm not sure why auzzie's method failed but Try
"New" >> select "YOUR Civil3d DWT file" then insert explode the suspect
file.

If you want setting for the original drawing you would need the
"civil3d.dwt" file from the owner/creator.

Joe
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

This may sound somewhat harsh, but it would be relatively easy if you
understood how styles and Civil 3D operate. First off, have you done all
the Tutorials that are found in the HELP menu?

Bill

wrote in message news:6276322@discussion.autodesk.com...
I gave that a try and it does not work for what I want to accomplish. What I
am really interested in is all the settings for points and surfaces in the
toolspace bar. I do not want to go through everything and adjust all these
settings. I was hoping to be able to just take this drawing and move it onto
our template that already has all the settings the way I need them.
Any other ideas please?
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

ahh okay... Yes getting out and then back it did the trick. Didn't think of that.

Thanks for all the replys
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

wfb... Somewhat harsh??? Remove the somewhat and you got it right.
NO! I didn't go through all the tutorials. Thanks for making it sound so easy though! :o(
I use this program at work where in the times we live in I need to be productive or they will find someone who is. It was thrown at me and I was told learn it as quick as you can and your old program will be removed in 3 days. Meanwhile I still have to produce the work that I have piled up that all needed to be done yesterday. I dont have it at home to "play with" and I have a family that needs me after work so that option for playing with it is out. No kidding it would be easy if I understood it. I am trying to understand it the best I can and as fast as I can. I have been thankfull for the help I have recieved on this forum.

Try to be a little understanding.... AND your comments would have been fine if you would have included something helpful for me to try instead of just berating me.

Now I gotta get back to work. Thanks to those that helped.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

{:o.......
Message 10 of 14
Civil3DReminders

It sounds like your issue is more of an upper management issue than a Civil 3D issue. I think you need to discuss the training/implementation issue with the management. It sounds like the implementation plan isn't well thought out. Presumably you know the companies procedures, if they are saying do this productive or you're out point out to them the next person they hired they'd have to train on both the companies procedures and maybe how to use Civil 3D. I think if you put the numbers together, including the unemployment they'd be paying you, you'd easily be able to prove it would be cheaper to provide time to do the tutorials/training than hire a new person.

His comments of doing the tutorials is helpful. Think of how much time you've spent on this issue, couldn't you have spent that time doing the tutorials instead to provide a better understanding of how the software works? Sometimes the saying that we always have the time to do again, but never enough time to do it correct the first time (or something like that).

Christopher
Message 11 of 14
klugb

Have you tried this lately?
This is an area I have a problem with in Civil 3D. I have never had styles rename when inserting them into an existing drawing. They, in fact, get ignored if the drawing already has a style with the same name. It only works for bringing in new styles, which sounds like it worked for the OP because his are named different. BTW it also will not bring over command settings no matter what method is used.

If you insert the old drawing into your new template you keep your styles, but ALL civil 3D data gets renamed with a (1).

"Existing Ground" becomes "Existing Ground (1)"

Also beware when inserting existing drawings with pipe networks that have common parts lists. We have had some strange behavior with this also. If you have figured it out let me know I have been working with autodesk support and not getting any good workarounds.

Bruce
Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 12 of 14
auzzie2776

i agree, but this discussion board is a excellent excellent resource for reading between the lines that the tutorials dont provide, people should be encouraged to ask questions as people learn differently, some people learn by tutorials, some by jumping in head first, and some by listening and reading from some of the dilemas people have on these boards. I also believe that the tutorials need to be strengthened as well, adding some more complex models and different uses of the subassemblies, but finally, forcing someone to explain their situation because mister cranky pants doesnt want to help is unfortunate.
Message 13 of 14
kerksieck

I prefer to insert the existing drawing into the new drawing created with the template. Doing it the other way around keeps the unwanted styles as the default when creating new objects.
Message 14 of 14
JohnBandas7271

Try starting a new drawing with your template.
Name it and save it.
Open the drawing you want to convert and unlock, unfreeze, and turn on everything in model space.
(You might want to erase everything in paperspace and do purge all.)
Do edit/copy with base point.
Select 0,0,0 (3d you know).
Go to new drawing.
Paste as autocad entities, @ 0,0,0.
That usually does it for me.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report