Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenging Grading Project

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
randcdavidson
684 Views, 27 Replies

Challenging Grading Project

I've been assigned to do this grading project and it is becoming a challenge at least for me at this point. What is needed is top of Pond set to OG elevations, down 3.5:1 to a relative elevation of 5' then bottom infill. So far so good.

Now they want the bottom to funnel into a drainage inlet which is set at 368.55. Then they want the remainder of the pond bottom to all slope towards this inlet at about 0.5%.

SO what I figure I'll do is grade down the top the 3.5:1 at 5 feet deep. Explode the grading and take the bottom feature line and insert a low point near the drain inlet at el 368.55. Then I'll use the set grade/slope between points command and slope this featureline out at 0.5 percent to the extreme corners of the pond. Once that is set I'll do an infill and create a surface I'll call "bottom". Next I'll re-grade the top down the 3.5:1 only this time I'll target the bottom surface then do an infill to get one single grading.

Sound like a good way to tackle this? Before you answer take a look at the attached image and see what kind of animal I'm up against. Smiley Surprised

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28

Reply to Troma. The pond bottom surface was created from the grading group properties. I was unaware that mattered?

Message 22 of 28
troma
in reply to: randcdavidson

Sometimes I create a surface from a grading, other times I just create a grading with no surface. When you said you couldn't find it to target it just seemed like the first logical thing to check.
If you have the surface, it shouldn't matter how you got it. I'm not sure why you can't target it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 23 of 28
Neilw_05

I thought your objective was to grade from the top down to a relative elevation = -5'. Why do you need a separate bottom surface? All you need to do is add an infill after grading down at -5'.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 24 of 28
randcdavidson
in reply to: Neilw_05

Well that was before they wanted the bottom to grade to the outfall. My objective is now to create the bottom surface with a set elevation at the outfall then grade out a half percent in all directions. Once that is complete the I must grade the top down at 3.5:1 to hit this newly created bottom surface. Thing is it's not showing up as an option in my target surfaces. I have included a pic of the bottom surface and what I have as a outfall area. What you will not see is the top of bank grading down yet.

Message 25 of 28
Neilw_05

Ok, I think it would be better to just add flowlines to get the bottom to drain.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 26 of 28
cwitzel

Make surde it is in a different grading group.  You may not be able to see the "target" surface, because it is being created by the grading group you are using.  That is another reason to keep them in different sites.

If that still doesn't work, don't have it create the surface automatically add the grading to a different surface.

Conan Witzel

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 27 of 28
cwitzel
in reply to: cwitzel

Attached is an example drawing with the pond bottom surface and the pond top.

In this case graded at 2% using a feature line at the outfall and a grading object set to 250' @ 2%.  The top of the pond is then graded down to the pond bottom surface.  

In both cases the resultant feature lines are added manually to the surfaces (Pond Bottom and Proposed)  There are also two sites.

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation
Message 28 of 28

Nice I'll try that out and see what kind of result I get. As you may have seen from my last image there is a "wall" where the outfall structure will be placed.  I have that to contend with as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report