Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenge ~ Civil 3D Labels

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
649 Views, 7 Replies

Challenge ~ Civil 3D Labels

Good morning everyone,

Looking for some wisdom,

Topic:  Pressure Pipe Networks

Goal:  Set up labels for an entire network by adding a label style 

Label Style:  Top of Pipe at each fitting (Essentially the starting and ending Outside Crown Elevations)

Challenge:  

Looking for the best method to label the TOP at each end

Having difficulty editing the label style to add the labels at the end of the pipes rather than the middle of the pipe

In this case, I have to move each label indivually to the end of the pipe

Tried to add fitting labels and have been unable to figure out how

The project is a huge pipe network and I'm looking for a best approach

Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Bill_Myron
in reply to: 905298043

Add a Flow Direction Arrow to your pipe label style. Set the visibility to false.

Create an expression and apply it to the rotation of the arrow. "IF(-{Pipe Slope}<0,0,pi)"

Anchor the Start Crown Elevation to the Start of the arrow.

Anchor the End Crown Elevation to the End of the arrow.

Add label to entire network plan.

Message 3 of 8
in reply to: Bill_Myron

Bill,

Thank you for the insight 

Do we create the expression within Toolspace > Settings > Pressure Pipe > Label Styles > Expressions > New

Then enter "IF(-{Pipe Slope}<0,0,pi)" as the expression and Format the result as "rotation"

From there, do we create a new pressure pipe label style?

In the Label style > Layout > Component > add Flow direction arrow

Then select the pressure pipe text component > Anchor component > Anchor point > Start

Then select Flow direction arrow component > Visibility > False  

From there, how do we apply the expression to the rotation of the arrow?

I appreciate the wisdom 

Message 4 of 8
Bill_Myron

Enter the expression as Double. Under Pressure Pipe > Label Styles

In the label style, add the direction arrow and apply the expression to the rotation. There will be a drop down where you can select your expression.

Make sure fixed length is false, and change the minimum length to the shortest pipe length if needed.

Message 5 of 8

Bill,

Thank you for leading the way.  This will be key for a New York City project the firm is working on.

I appreciate the help

Message 6 of 8

Bill,

Another question when you have an opportunity to shed some light

Background:  Have designed with Civil 3D 2012 since recently graduating from Virginia Tech, learning the ropes for 2014 on the fly in my first job 

Question:  When creating new pressure networks, is there a way to control the Top of Pipe Crown Elevation as you go pipe segment to pipe segment

At this point, when you enter the insertion elevation it becomes the centerline of the pipes and fittings 

After laying out the network, do we have to go through pipe properties to adjust the starting and ending outside crown elevation of each pipe?

Can we adjust the elevation as go, when first creating the network?

Can the invert evelation, or crown elevation be a reference to go by (rather than the centerline) when laying the pipe?

Thanks

Message 7 of 8

Bill,

Another question when you have an opportunity to shed some light

Background:  Have designed with Civil 3D 2012 since recently graduating from Virginia Tech, learning the ropes for 2014 on the fly in my first job 

Question:  When creating new pressure networks, is there a way to control the Top of Pipe Crown Elevation as you go pipe segment to pipe segment

At this point, when you enter the insertion elevation it becomes the centerline of the pipes and fittings 

After laying out the network, do we have to go through pipe properties to adjust the starting and ending outside crown elevation of each pipe?

Can we adjust the elevation as go, when first creating the network?

Can the invert evelation, or crown elevation be a reference to go by (rather than the centerline) when laying the pipe?

* Also, looking back to our conversation on label styles ..  Is there a way to only label pipes of a certain length?  Fore example, if there are short pipe segments of the same material lined connsecutively and we only want to label long sections of the pipe

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
dtdandy

I've followed your steps but am getting 0.00 as top elevation. Can you break down the steps for me.

Thanks

Andy W.

Civil 3d 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report