Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Remove Points From Surface

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
JeffCamarena
1690 Views, 13 Replies

Cannot Remove Points From Surface

I have an "existing" surface built. But there has been some construction since my company surveyed the site. So, my surveyor went out and got the new points in the area of the new construction. I am trying to remodel the "existing" surface without rebuilding the entire surface. I have removed the old (demoed) points from the point group used to define the surface. But, the points are not being removed from the surface. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,

Jeff

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: JeffCamarena

Are you certain the PG in question is the one used to build the surfacae? Also check see if a snap shot is being used

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
JeffCamarena

I am positive the point group is in the surface definition. I tried removing a surface snap shot, and civil 3d informed me that no snap shot had been created yet.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

check the build portion of the surface properties and look for a toggle for copy deleted dependant objects and toggle it off.

this would keep the surface unaltered if the points used to create the surface are deleted.

Message 5 of 14
JeffCamarena

Thank you, that is good information to know for my surfaces. But, it looks like it is already set to "No".

Message 6 of 14
SurveyorLee

Most likely the survey points were copied into the surface as a surface point.   Then you can grab delete the points that do not have a survey shot behind them.  Under the surface style, set the "point Display" to on.

This is a tedious process, unless the points are in pattern whereby you can fence them and delete within the fence.

Surveyor Lee.

Message 7 of 14
JeffCamarena

That seems to be what happened. Thank you. How/why does this happen? What makes a surface copy over point definitions?

Message 8 of 14
rl_jackson

Might it be easier to dref the existing surface into a new drawing, and then creat a new surface with the new data much like a FG surface then paste the two together and save the new EG surface.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
jmayo-EE

Step through and let us know the results.

In prosepctor, right click on Point Groups and choose Update.

Right cllick on the surface name and select properties. go to the definition tab.

Look at hte order of operations. Make sure point groups are on top, then breaklines, contours and boundaries must be at the bottom. Hit okay, You should be prompted to rebuild, say yes.

Do the edits show?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
JeffCamarena

@ rl_jackson, That is basically what I ended up doing. I made a new surface from the new points. I then made a new "composite" surface and pasted in my old "existing" surface and then the new points surface in on top to make the "composite" existing surface. This waay I did not have to figure out which "old" pints were good or bad.

@johnm, I have updated the the point group, verified build order, and rebuilt the surface multiple times to no avail.

Message 11 of 14
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rl_jackson

That is our prefered method.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

i have created from the surface alignments, profiles,corridors, sample lines and cross sections but then i just noticed that some points from the surface should be deleted .. so i went to edit surface and delete point , but it does not work . anybody have a solution ? 

Message 13 of 14
SurveyorLee

Did you try to remove the points from the surface. Turn on point display in the surface style and delete them from there.  If, for any reason the point groups and points have been dis-associated from the surface, they will not delete when the group is deleted. And, yes, I generally do that when I'm sending the surface to others. It seems to alleivate trouble to XML the surface and break the points to surface link. 

Hope this helps.

Surveyor Lee

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jmayo-EE

thank you for ur help.. i just fixed my problem. it was that i am using the same style for two surfaces so i just changed the style of the second surface and the points are deleted .

thank you again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report