Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete label style component

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
deltacoolguy
2956 Views, 5 Replies

Cannot delete label style component

Cannot delete label style component.  This is for line annotation labels.

I created a child BRG-ONLY from a BRG-DIST and it will not allow me to delete the distance component.  The red X is faded and not clickable.

This is my second day with a new company, and when somebody else created a similar child style apparently they could not either.  The just made the distance component invisible... which I guess works almost as well.

How would I be able to pick a specific component to make sure I can delete it?

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: deltacoolguy

Could try Rt. clicking on those Styles in the Settings Tree and choose "Find References"

This will show where the Styles are "In use".

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
Jeff_M

You cannot delete components of a child style which are defined in the Parent style. The whole idea of a Child style is to allow styles to have the same components but be able change the look of them... i.e.: The text comonent will always be in the style, but you can change the position, color, size, or the contents of the child. To be able to delete components, make a Copy of the style instead of a Child (or use the Visibilty property as you've done).

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 6
deltacoolguy
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:

You cannot delete components of a child style which are defined in the Parent style. The whole idea of a Child style is to allow styles to have the same components but be able change the look of them... i.e.: The text comonent will always be in the style, but you can change the position, color, size, or the contents of the child. To be able to delete components, make a Copy of the style instead of a Child (or use the Visibilty property as you've done).

That makes sense.  Now, if it were me and my company, I would have simply created a new style, and not made a child.  But, new job, new ways.

For my own edification:  What is the purpose of having a child style vs a new distinct style?  Do changes (i.e.: color, etc.) in the parent automatically filter down to the child styles?  That would be handy, but other than that I'm not sure I see the point.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 5 of 6
troma

Anything you don't edit in the child will cascade down from the parent. This can be very useful.

If you do edit it, and then put it back to the parent's value, I don't think it will cascade any more. I wish there was a way to set a property in a child style to "Use Parent's Value", but I don't know how.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 6
troma

They also group together in the list of labels. We've used child styles sometimes for that reason alone.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report