Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change number of decimal places in elevation label

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
fjperez
17468 Views, 11 Replies

Cannot change number of decimal places in elevation label

The defaul label style for the Elevation of points is set to 3 decimal places. We are trying to change the elevation display to 2 decimal places. We have tried the directions in the following discussion: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/How-to-change-the-number-of-decimal-places-of-the-ele...

Which is:

Toolspace

->Settings

-->Drawing name

--->Edit Drawing Settings

---->Ambient Settings

----->Elevation

------>Precision -> We modify from 3 to 2 decimal places.

It does not modify the display settings.

Also:

Toolspace

->Settings

-->Drawing

--->Point

---->Label Styles

----->(right-click) Edit label styles

------>Layout

------->Text

-------->Contents

--------->click on the "..." (three points) button

(Open "Text Component Editor - Contents"

--------->Select Point Elevation in the driop down list.

---------->Precision: Set to 0.01

------------>Ok, Apply, etc...

This does not seem to work either.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
907Trekker
in reply to: fjperez

The second method is the one that will work.  You are probably forgetting to press the arrow button that applies the changes.  After you modify the precision you have to press the arrow that "applies" that change to the text field.  See attached image.

Message 3 of 12
rl_jackson

When you make the change in the point style did you hit the arrow in the upper as shown. If you did not it does not push the setting to the style.Precision.png

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
fjperez

This worked perfectly. Thanks!

Message 5 of 12
tomhoban

Hi

Following the instructions above I find the precision is set to 3dp which is what I want. The drawing is still displaying to 2 dp. Is there another place I need to change this?

Thanks

Message 6 of 12
tcorey
in reply to: tomhoban

When you say, "the drawing is still displaying to 2 dp," do you mean your existing label style does not update when you change the precision in the label style editor? If you're setting it and remembering to press the arrow to move your settings to the preview window, as in the two solutions above, and then pressing OK all the way back out, maybe doing a Regen, and it's still not working....

Are you sure you're editing the correct label style?

BTW, the problem with forgetting to press the arrow to move the new precision settings over still gets me. I've been using Civil 3D since the first preview version, 2004, and I still forget to press that stupid button. I doesn't take as long to figure out what you did wrong after you've done it twenty times, but my forehead sure is getting flat from slapping it and saying, "Doh," all the time.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 12
tomhoban
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks for the reply Tim. The thing that threw me was when I got to the text component editor (TCE) and seleted point elevation from the properties the precision was showing as .001 which was what I wanted so no need to change. However the displayed labels were to 2 dp (.01)

It wasn't until I selected the text in the black window of the TCE that I noticed the precision changed by itself to .01 so I guess some kind of refresh issue?

I also noticed that when resetting the precision and pressing th arrow it is impotant to ensure the old code in the black window is over written or deleted or a fairly mixed up label will occur.

So now my point elevations are displaying correctly. I had hoped that this would solve the main problem which is getting my point table to display to 3dp; it hasn't. Any ideas? I can not see anythingin Table Style editor.

Tom

Message 8 of 12
907Trekker

Tried to reply once but didn't seem to work.

The easy way is probably for you to just click on your point table that you already created, then on the ribbon you should see "table properties", click on edit table style. Then click on all of that text below the "elevation" column. Then that same edit style window will appear and you can change the number of decimal places.

Don't forget to press the arrow.

Mark
Message 9 of 12
tomhoban

ok figured it out: double click the structure in data properties of the table style editor and as above.

Message 10 of 12
Pointdump

Tom,

Here's a couple more places to look. Ambient Settings Tab in Drawing Settings:

Table2.png

Settings >> Point >> Commands >> AddPointTable >> Edit Command Settings:

Table1.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 12
tomhoban
in reply to: Pointdump

Thank You Dave.

Tom

Message 12 of 12
907Trekker

Yes,

You have to control the number of decimal places in the table style. The
easy way for you to do this would be to click on your table and then in the
ribbon click the drop down below "table properties" and select edit table
style.

[image: Inline image 2]

Now click on the text below "elevation", it is in the "column value" row.

[image: Inline image 3]

And now this window you are already familiar with should pop up and you
can edit the decimal places displayed.

[image: Inline image 4]

Don't forget to press the arrow!

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report