I just upgraded to Civil 2011 from 2009 and a drawing I was working in, which had a database attached, is no longer working. Fine. I understand that upgrading may cause some things to not work properly.
So, I try to attach that same database and I get an error message that reads:
Failed to create the data source file:
I tried creating a brand new database with newly imported information and it did not work. I tried creating a brand new database with no information , and still I get the same message.
Anyone else having this problem?
What OS and what version of the database? When you say attach datasource do you mean as in DBConnect, the map data source connect or what? Theres a number of ways to link to a dbase.
I am running Windows 7 64-bit. Also, apparently Civil 2011 doesn't recognize the latest version of Microsoft products. (In the list of options to choose from, there are no selection for 2007 Micorsoft products.)
I am trying to attach a data source through the map explorer. Also, I tried using the map pulldown (Map>Database>Data Sources>Attach). Neither of those work.
With win 7 64 bit you need the newer Windows Office 2010 (64x) or the 64 bit drivers for Office 2007. To get the 64 bit drivers to work with the older version of Office you need to install the beta versions AFTER you uninstall 2007 then reinstall it. More info here; http://gisexchange.typepad.com/blog/2010/08/odbc-o
I have been fighting this for about a week and a half now. I have upgraded my office 2010 to 64-bit version. I have installed the Access 2010 64-bit driver package from microsoft and I still get "Failed to create the data source file" when trying to attach a .dbf export from access. I can't connect directly to the access file because Civil3D (map3d) hasn't upgraded to recognize the .accdb extension from office 2010 yet, and access won't let me do a "saveas" down to .mdb?
Or if someone can tell me how to create a 'named range' in excel, I will try that too, but I don't know what that means.
HELP!! I'm at my wits end.
i cannot help you with the database connection, but for the Excel named range, in 2010 version, look under Ribbon>Formulas>Name Manager. Here, you can either select a single cell or multiple cells (say A:B), and then give that a name. then, you can use that name (instead of specifying the range A:B) in excel formulas or VBA code.
For example, in Excel:
A1 = 1 (and you named it "Val1" under Name Manager).
A3=4 (and you named it "Val2")
in cell B1, type formula = Val1+Val2 will return 5. If you create named ranges with multiple cells, you can use that in lookups etc.
I was finally able to connect directly to the access database by simply copying the database file and changing the file extension from .accdb to .mdb. Kind of strange, but it worked.
I am having this problem also just slightly different: I have got AutoCAD Map 3d 2014 and Microsoft Access 2013. I am trying to attach a database (with a .mdb extension) and I get the error message