Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canal design

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
CADmgrMike
908 Views, 15 Replies

canal design

I would like to create a canal corridor like the attached pic, but I want to have the attachment point at the center of the ditch.

As you can see in this assembly, I'm using the ditch subassembly, and I've moved the attachment point to where I want it.

I would like to have a ditch bottom width, sideslope, ditch depth, and backslope that can have 0 slope with the attachment point at the center of the ditch bottom.

I have done this with generic links, but it takes a right and left link for the ditch bottom and that gives me two "horizontal" labels in my code set style.

Is there a stock subassembly I'm not aware of that does this, or should I be considering a custom subassembly?

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mathewkol
in reply to: CADmgrMike

It looks like a job for generic links as you have done it before.  Could you explain further the problem you're having with the generic link route?

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 16
Pointdump

Mike,

Does your attachment point need to be in the center of the ditch, or can you use Create Feature Line from Stepped Offset to make your attachment point at the side of the ditch?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 16
sboon

Something like this?

Clipboard01.png

I attached one copy of LinkWidthAndSlope to the right side of the assembly then moved it horizontally to the left, so that I have a single link across the bottom of the ditch.  I then added DaylightGeneral to both sides.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 16
Pointdump
in reply to: sboon

Steve,

I tried this just now, but I'm unable to move the subassembly. I tried both regular Move and Move in the Modify Subassembly. I can't get either to work.

Subassembly.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 16
sboon
in reply to: Pointdump

No problems here Dave.  I added a new assembly, attached a sub to it and used the ACad move command.  Maybe yours is on a locked layer?

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 16
Pointdump

Steve,

I tried this in 2015 and it works just fine. 2014, no go. In 2014 I can't snap to the center of the basepoint.

Sub.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 8 of 16
sboon
in reply to: Pointdump

Try an Insert snap.  Works for me in 2012, '14 and '15.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 16
Pointdump

Thanks, Steve. Insert works fine. Smiley Happy

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 10 of 16
CADmgrMike

Steve,

That is the method I've used before, but the problem is I can't get one side of the ditch toe to show up in the corridor plan view. (see attached pic)

I've added the coded to my code set style. I know about how the workaround to update the corridor and have the new feature lines appear.

Nothing I do makes the one side of the ditch appear.

Mike Porter
Message 11 of 16
jmayo-EE

Add a marked point to the end of the LinkWidthAndSlope to get the other feature line.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
sboon
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John spotted it as I started to answer.  The daylight sub on the left side of my example screenshot is attached to the attachment point of the generic link that I moved.  Both of those subs start with uncoded points, so no featureline will be generated there. 

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 16
jmayo-EE

I think Steve gets the Solution here. I just capped it all off. It is his post that points out how to get the single base width as you desired.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
CADmgrMike
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Thanks John & Steve. Smiley Happy

That worked.

It still amazes me that after 9+ years of this software being released, we still have to find workarounds for things that to me are elementary.

In my line of work we build a lot of canals and ditches, so having  a simple assembly with ditch width, depth, and side slopes, all based on the centerline of the ditch is pretty common. Much like a simple road design based on the centerline of the street. (very easy in C3D)

But I digress. Thanks again for your help.

Mike Porter
Message 15 of 16
Pointdump

Mike,

I think there's a way to make a custom subassembly--SAC, Subassembly Composer. It's waaaaaay above my pay grade, but you might find it worth looking into.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 16 of 16
sboon

It may not be exactly what you're looking for but based on the description TrenchPipe1 might be a solution.  With the backfill depths and the profile offset set to zero it's just a bottom and two sideslope links.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report