Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can u "decurve" a feature line?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
josephliyen
1440 Views, 6 Replies

Can u "decurve" a feature line?

Is there a way to decurve feature lines like how we do it with polylines? I am labeling my feature lines but don't want the curve labels to show up
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sboon
in reply to: josephliyen

I was going to suggest filleting the feature line with 0 radius but apparently you can't do that.

Why not label your feature lines without the curve labels?
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 7
josephliyen

Sorry I should've clarified my purpose a little bit more. I found the label for feature lines annoying to work with. I have the ideal solution with the straight line label where it'll show the start/end elevation at the point, direction of flow and grade in exactly the format I want, while the curved label don't, for some reason I can't show the direction arrow in a curved label. Since I created my feature lines from a bunch of polylines, some of them are curved. I wish there's a way to decurve it.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

This is something I have been looking for as well. I wind up erasing &
redrawing or I trace a new pline over the feature & use grip edits to match
geometry. Grip editing works for typical tangent/curve/tangent geometry.

--
John Mayo
Project Engineer
Conklin Associates
Ramsey, NJ

Civil 3D 2008, LDT 2008, Raster Design 2008
P-IV at 3.5 GHz
2 GB Ram
Nvidea Quadro FX w/ 128 MB Ram
wrote in message news:5653961@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there a way to decurve feature lines like how we do it with polylines? I
am labeling my feature lines but don't want the curve labels to show up
Message 5 of 7
sboon

OK try this. Explode your feature lines so that they become 3d polylines. The curves will convert to short straight segments. Then convert them back to feature lines, but use the weed points options to create line segments that are long enough for labeling but approximate the original curves. Message was edited by: SBoon
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 7
BSRice

I'm not sure if this is relevant now, but in case you use the time-research-delay of the internet, here is a solution that works with Civil 3D 2012.  The command is "_AeccEditFeatureCurve".  Choose the "D" option for delete.  Now click on the arc.  It behaves oddly if you have two arcs next to each other, but keep clicking on the "auto-generated" "replacement"curves until tangent segments appear.  Now use your "Insert PI" button to add the one or two vertices that you need.  If you accidentally delete a necessary arc, just use the "fillet" or "fit curve" buttons to add it back in now that you have the correct tangent segments.

I wish that the featurlines would display those cool tool-tip editors that appear when you are editing polylines, but until then (in the far distant future) this is the best practice that I can propose that does not require exploding, redrawing, or converting.

B.S. Rice
EMSI Engineering
W: 1-703-257-0877
http://www.emsieng.com
Message 7 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: BSRice

Digging into the old threads there. You make a geat point that should be noted. Also note that at the time of the original post the EditFeatureCurve command did not exist. 🙂 

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report