Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update surface, On a locked layer?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
rhdins
4470 Views, 18 Replies

Can't update surface, On a locked layer?

I have a surface that I want to edit.  It is telling me I can't because it's on a locked layer.  The problem is, none of the layers are locked.  The surface isn't object locked, the point group isn't locked.  It's saying some of my survey figures are on a locked layer, I have a feeling that those are the problem, but aside from unlocking all the layers in the drawing, I can't think of anything else to change.  I can not figure out what the deal is with this surface...  Any help would be much appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
doni49
in reply to: rhdins

@rhdins wrote:

.......none of the layers are locked.

and

@rhdins wrote:

....but aside from unlocking all the layers in the drawing....

If "none of the layers are locked", then why are you concerned about "unlocking all the layers in the drawing"?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 19
rhdins

All the layers are unlocked, yet it still tells me that the surface is on a locked layer.
Message 4 of 19
AllenJessup

@rhdins wrote:

... but aside from unlocking all the layers in the drawing, I can't think of anything else to change.  I can not figure out what the deal is with this surface...  

That tells me you do have locked layers in your drawing. Is Layer 0 one of them?

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 19
rhdins
in reply to: AllenJessup

If there is some other way to unlock layers besides clicking on the "lock" icon in the layer manager, then maybe.  But otherwise, they are all unlocked.  I made sure every single layer was unlocked and still get the "object is on locked layer" message.  It tells me this for my survey figures too.

Message 6 of 19
doni49

If we're truly going to be able to help you, then we're going to need to see your dwg file.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 19
IanMcClain

Is there anything else that may complicate the surface? Was it pasted,data-shortcutted, copied, etc? Are you trying to add elements to the definition or just rebuild it?

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 19
AllenJessup
in reply to: IanMcClain

If it doesn't appear in the Layer Manager there shouldn't be a locked layer. You can try the command line -Layer, Unlock, * .

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 19
rhdins
in reply to: IanMcClain

I have survey figures in the drawing that I am using as breaklines.  If those lose the connection to the survey database, would that cause this problem?

I have some new survey points that I want to add to the surface.  The surface won't rebuild because it says it's on a locked layer.  That's the problem I'm having.

Here is the surface,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20051252/PG0011202_New%20Surface.dwg

Message 10 of 19
doni49

I'm going to have to leave this for someone else.  I can't open the file as I'm on C3D 2012.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 19
IanMcClain

I can't open it either (running 2012). Have you tried an audit?

Ian McClain
Message 12 of 19
Jeff_M

All of the layers in this drawing are locked, not unlocked. Unlocking them allows me to edit the surface without any problem.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 13 of 19
wfberry

It may have gone through the twilight zone but when I opened the file ALL the layers were locked.  I unlocked all and I was able to remove a breakline or two and it rebuilt.

Bill

Windows 7 x 64 Professional
Nvidia GeForce 9800 & 8500
12 GB Ram
i7 965 @ 3.20 GHz
Corsair Force 240 GB SSD
Infrastructure Suite 2014 Premium SP1

Message 14 of 19
rhdins
in reply to: wfberry

Obviously I've got something weird going on.  I downloaded my file and opened that, it showed all the layers as locked for a split second, then they all switched to unlocked.  But the drawing still treats everything as if it's locked!

Do I have something set wrong somewhere??

Here is a screen grab, showing my layers unlocked, and that the surface is locked. (the little thing by my cursor is the lock symbol)

Locked Surface.jpg

Message 15 of 19
doni49

Your image shows that they're LOCKED.

This is what the layer dialog will look like if the layer is unlocked.

LayerUnlocked.png

Don Ireland

Message 16 of 19
AllenJessup

Your screenshot shows all the layers as Locked. Yellow + closed padlock = locked. Blue plus open padlock = unlocked.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 17 of 19
rhdins
in reply to: AllenJessup

I wish I had a better excuse than just being dumb...

In my hurry I was thinking, yellow on, blue off, ugh.  Thanks for the help though.  It will keep you guys sharp!

Message 18 of 19
ali5900337

Simply because you are inside a block through "edit block in place "command
Message 19 of 19
narce2

Another solution is to select the surface, go to Surface Properties, Information tab, and then make sure to uncheck the "Object Locked" box.  (See attached image)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report