AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
ppennington32
Message 1 of 7 (1,664 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't Reference Surface Datashortcuts

1664 Views, 6 Replies
11-03-2011 08:01 AM

Im not able to create a reference to a data shortcut surface. I was able to at one proint but not the Create Reference option is graded out in existing drawings.

I am able to create a reference with a new drawing but not with my existing drawings.

The datashortcuts are set to Handle or Name. I've tried deleting the shortcut and recreating the shortcut with no success. Although, I didnt manually delete the xml file from the directory not sure if I need to or not.

The surfaces in question were created with the create surface from GIS data tool. Both surfaces have a exclamation mark beside the snapshot in the definition. I never quite got my head around the snapshot functionality. So I;m not sure if that has soemthing to do with it. I believe the create surface from GIS data tool create s the snapshot on the surface.

Thanks

Pat

Civil 3d 2011 Latest Update

Windows 7 64

It's likely one of two problems. The object may exist in the drawing but is enclosed in a block therefore it doesn't show in prospector (use purge to remove unused blocks). The other problem may be that the drawing database thinks that the object exists in the document; in this case run an audit to rectify these non-existent objects.
*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 2 of 7 (1,650 Views)

Re: Can't Reference Surface Datashortcuts

11-03-2011 09:22 AM in reply to: ppennington32

I'm not saying this is your problem, but Create Reference will be greyed out if the surface is already referenced into the currently open drawing. I was reluctant to post this in fear of offending you (I can tell by your post you are an experienced user,) but sometimes we can miss the obvious. I know I do.

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
Contributor
ppennington32
Message 3 of 7 (1,644 Views)

11-03-2011 09:48 AM in reply to: tcorey

No offense taken.

There is no surface in the drawing, referenced or native.

However, I promoted the data reference and it named the surface EG_SOUTH (1). By adding the (1) to the end of the surface it seems that Civil 3D thinks that a surface or referemce already exists. I may of had the surface referenced in the drawing and deleted it. I can't remember.

Also, I have a profile referenced in that drawing and the profile is referncing the surface in another drawing. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

Thanks for your suggestion, and any suggestion.

Pat

Valued Mentor
ericcollins6932
Message 4 of 7 (1,637 Views)

11-03-2011 10:26 AM in reply to: ppennington32

I find saved state also affects this. Try clikcing on the save button, then try.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
Intel i7 3770 @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2012 SP2
Mentor
tyronebk
Message 5 of 7 (1,635 Views)

11-03-2011 10:33 AM in reply to: ppennington32
It's likely one of two problems. The object may exist in the drawing but is enclosed in a block therefore it doesn't show in prospector (use purge to remove unused blocks). The other problem may be that the drawing database thinks that the object exists in the document; in this case run an audit to rectify these non-existent objects.
Contributor
ppennington32
Message 6 of 7 (1,623 Views)

11-03-2011 12:02 PM in reply to: tyronebk

Sweet!

It was in a block that I purged. Didnt realize object could be in a block like that . I think that is going to be my solution for some profiles I was trying to data reference. I would shortcut a profile and it would create a copy of the alignement,

Good Deal. Thanks!

Pat

*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 7 of 7 (1,618 Views)

11-03-2011 12:21 PM in reply to: tyronebk

Great answer.

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.