Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Isolate Survey Figure?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
n2itive
530 Views, 4 Replies

Can't Isolate Survey Figure?

I created a new template for 2013 and am in the process of debugging it. One thing I noticed is that I can no longer isolate a layer by picking a survey figure. When I do all everything turns off.  In my previous template this wasn't a problem. One major difference in this new template is that I'm only using one figure style that has all layers set to byblock. We learned this was a simpler method allowing your figure prefix data base to control the layering as oppose to creating a separate figure style for each. Maybe this is the downside to doing it this way.

All figures are coming in on the correct layer. I can freeze/thaw individual layers as usual by selecting the figures. I just seems to be an issue with the on/off feature of the isolate command.

Any suggestions?

Infrastructure Design Suite 2014
Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: n2itive

@nelsons wrote:

.... One major difference in this new template is that I'm only using one figure style that has all layers set to byblock.

I have missed something. How are you setting Layers to Byblock? Can you tell me the steps you use to get there or the name of the dialog you're on?

You can set linetype to Byblock in the figure style editor, but I can't figure out where you're setting a layer to Byblock and what effects you anticipate.

I tried Byblock as a layer name in the figure prefix database and the program dutifully placed my figure on a layer called Byblock, as I expected.

Thanks if you can follow-up,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 5
n2itive
in reply to: tcorey

Yes, you're are correct as I didn't explain that too well. My one figure style has the layer set to V-SURV-FIGR and all other settings to be Byblock. Everything is displaying correctly on import, like it did in the 2012 template. For example if I select a watermain figure, it's properties show the correct layer and Linotype etc. I understand the object layer (mother layer) will be V-SURV-FIGR. What I don't understand is why it allows me to freeze individual layers by selecting a figure but does not work when isolating an individual layer by selecting a figure.

Maybe having individual figure styles for each type of figure in our figure prefix database, as we did before, is ultimately a more efficient workflow even though it may take longer to set up?

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Message 4 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: n2itive

If your components are on one layer and the parent figure is on another, when you isolate, it isolates the parent layer and the components are no longer displayed.

If you place the components on the same layer as the parent or on layer 0, isolate works fine. Specifying layer 0 tells Civil 3D to migrate these components to the layer of the parent object, not actually layer 0. You'll note when you isolate that layer 0 is turned off, but the components will continue to display.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 5
n2itive
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks for your help... by setting my solo figure style to be on layer 0 it now isolates the figures as it did before. I was kind of hoping I could have the parent layer be the V-SURV-FIGR but this will do.

Thanks again.

Civil 3D 2013 sp2
Windows 7 x 64, 16 GB
Intel Xeon @ 2.80 GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report