Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't edit elevations of Feature Line

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lohrmach
8592 Views, 6 Replies

Can't edit elevations of Feature Line

I Created a Feature Line from Objects (a polyline).  I added it to Site 1, gave it a name, layer.  Do I Assign elevations during creation (conversion options)?

I set the Elevation to 8.5  (NOT From surface)

Then I go to

Modify Feature Line -

Elevation Editor.

Why are the elevations locked?  I want to set them.

Lohrmach
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
owenmull
in reply to: lohrmach

@lohrmach wrote:

I Created a Feature Line from Objects (a polyline).  I added it to Site 1, gave it a name, layer.  Do I Assign elevations during creation (conversion options)?

I set the Elevation to 8.5  (NOT From surface)

Then I go to

Modify Feature Line -

Elevation Editor.

Why are the elevations locked?  I want to set them.

When you go to Modify tab and select Feature Lines-->Edit Elevations->Elevation Editor, it should prompt you to select the Feature Line.

Another way to do it is to click on the Feature Line itself and the ribbon toolbar will appear for that Feature Line and you can access the Elevation Editor there, too.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

If the elevations were assigned from a surface, then you can't edit them.  It's reading from the surface.  If you assigned elevations manually, or added intermediate grade break elevations from within the elevation editor, then you can change them.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 7
lohrmach

I created a new Site - seemed to solve.  I must have added the feature line to a Site that cause the feature line elevations to lock into the surface associated with that Site or something, maybe a corridor surface.

Lohrmach
Message 5 of 7

If the elevations were assigned from a surface, you can most definitely edit them. The original assignment gives them their starting elevations, but no dynamic connection is established and they can be edited at will after assigment from a surface.

Message 6 of 7
dana.probert

Feature lines don't lock on to surfaces for their elevation. The "elevations from surface" is a once and done grab.

Feature lines will take elevations from other types of Site Geometry on the same site. Some exaples are: parcel segments, other feature lines, grading objects, etc.

Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 7 of 7
owenmull
in reply to: dana.probert

Feature Lines of the same Site will interact with each other, ie if feature lines of diferent elevations overlap, in 3D view they will intersect. If they are in seperate Sites, they will not.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report