Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't display more than two slope ranges

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
RandyBenson
3176 Views, 15 Replies

Can't display more than two slope ranges

I've got a surface that displays contours correctly. When I go to Surface Properties-Analysis tab, I can  set an arbitrary number of ranges for contours, directions, elevations, slope arrows, etc, and they display correctly.

I can set an arbitrary number of ranges in the slope range box too, but when I click the Analyze button, Civil 3D 2014 hotfix 1 only displays two slope ranges: 0% to 2979736.0077% and 2979736.0077% to 99999900.0001%. (!)

Can someone show me the way forward?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
tcorey
in reply to: RandyBenson

If you can figure out where that vertical face is, eliminate it.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 16
RandyBenson
in reply to: tcorey

It's a 5MB drawing with about 40 ret walls. The surface builds with no errors or warnings. How do I search for a vertical face?

Message 4 of 16
tcorey

Ahh. Retaining walls. There are your faces. Can you move the top of wall feature lines over a few hundredths and see if that helps? Do you want to post the drawing so we can test here?

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 16
RandyBenson
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks, Tim:

I defined the retwalls with about 0.1' 'kick' in the toe of wall most places and at least 0.05 everywhere (AFAICR), but I'll try kicking the toes more...

The drawing is 5454KB -- too large to attach to the ng posts. May I send it to you directly?

Message 6 of 16
DaveDrahn

If you're kicking your walls a bit it shouldn't cause this problem. I bet you have other surface definition lines overlapping each other. When you get the 2 slope ranfges can you set one to white and the 2nd to red? That might show you where you have these vertical faces.
Message 7 of 16
RandyBenson
in reply to: DaveDrahn

Thanks, Dave.

I tried that, but the steeper range doesn't display anywhere in the drawing when I do that - it's all white.

It builds with no errors; Civil 3D usually squawks if breaklines cross points or other breaklines... ?

Message 8 of 16
DaveDrahn

hm. You're right, building the surface should say something about dulicate pts and crossing bl's. I haven't loaded 2014 yet so I hope someone else can have a look. How about just analyze for one range < 1:2,000,000 or something. Did you look at it in orbit/object viewer to see if those faces would show up from an angle?
Message 9 of 16
RandyBenson
in reply to: DaveDrahn

Hi Dave:

I've tried unchecking ALL the "Add Breakline" and "Swap Edge" operations from the surface definition. This still only yields two ranges, but there's a clue: the ranges are now 0.0% to 541.4877% and from there to 99999900.0001%.

Still badly stumped...

Message 10 of 16
BrianHailey

If you can't post the drawing directly to the discussion group, try uploading it to Dropbox or Google Drive (or another similar service) and then share the link here.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 16
jmayo-EE

I can and would love to take a look at this as well. Retaining walls should not be an issue and I don't think the 9999999% slope is one of the walls unless perhaps you have "Allow crossing breaklines" enabled on the surface and/or perhaps your midordinate is too large for some of the wall faces if they have curves.

johnm  at  conklinassociates  dot  com 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
tcorey

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, Tim:

I defined the retwalls with about 0.1' 'kick' in the toe of wall most places and at least 0.05 everywhere (AFAICR), but I'll try kicking the toes more...

The drawing is 5454KB -- too large to attach to the ng posts. May I send it to you directly?

tcorey at shasta dot com or use Dropbox.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 13 of 16
RandyBenson
in reply to: jmayo-EE

O.K. it's fixed. Don't have a clue how, but here's what I did:

1) Uncheck every operation in Surface Properties/Definition list after "Import Point File".

2) Surface Analysis tab/Slopes - (wanted six ranges):

input 44 ranges,got 5 

input 88 ranges, got 7

input 66 ranges, got 6.

3) Recheck all operations in groups (I might've just as well rechecked them all at once).

After all the silly input in step #2, the ranges have stayed at 6. Someone, somewhere will have a clue why this worked.

Finally, since it wasn't filling in between chord and arc where the topo boundary is curved, I inscribed 144-sided polygons within each arc, trimmed them at BC's and EC's and substituted the resultant polylines for the arcs.

Message 14 of 16
troma

Check your mid-ordinate distance for that boundary.
As to the craziness with slope ranges—now you say it I think someone pointed that out before...at some point in the indefinite past. Well done in figuring that out.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 15 of 16
craig.brierley
in reply to: troma

I think there should be an option in all these analysis panels to simply add another band.  This would solve the problem where you only seem to get a single band sometimes and would also allow you to add a band to a setup you've developed which just needs one more band. I'm still not sure why when you say you want 4 bands it only gives you 1 anyway.???Smiley Sad

On several occasions i have setup an analysis only to have the design tweaked and the banding no longer covers the full range.  Allowing me to insert another band can often solve the coverage problem and the simple addition of a band would avoid having to go the whole procedure again.

Message 16 of 16

Go into edit surface style, analysis tab. click on the slope arrows drop down. Change the "group by" property to quantile. Hit apply and then go back into surface properties and try again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report