Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete duplicate grading criteria

40 REPLIES 40
Message 1 of 41
gr8gonzo0
5018 Views, 40 Replies

Can't delete duplicate grading criteria

For some reason my drawing had created several duplicates of my grading critera. For example, my drawing has the following critera:

Cut to Surface

Cut to Surface.1

Cut to Surface.2

Cut to Surface.3

Cut to Surface.4

I did not create all these criteria, they just appeared one day. The problem is that I can't seem to be able to delete the duplicate ones. I get an error saying that the criteria "is currently in use, so it can not be deleted". I have deleted all the grading in my file and I still get this error. I have tried RECOVER and AUDIT several times with no luck. 

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: gr8gonzo0

deleting the grading from the screen may leave the group in the prospector sites.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 41
gr8gonzo0
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

There are no gradings in the prospector. I even went as far as to delete the sites with all the feature lines. Still the grading criteria says it is currently in use. Seems like a bug to me. Anyone else have this problem? I suppose I could just ignore it, but it is pretty annoying.

Message 4 of 41
Jeff_M

Could I have a look at the drawing? miff AT sonic DOT net

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 41
mmcwilliams323

Yes. I have the identical problem with C3d 2014. Its showing that all the grading criteria are in use, and there is not a single grading feaure in the drawing. I am using this for my company template and now its showing up everywhere. Help!

Message 6 of 41
gr8gonzo0

Try deleting the enitre grading criteria set. If you only have one set (e.g., Standard), it might not let you delete it. So you may have to create a new empty set first.

Message 7 of 41
jmayo-EE

If if is defined in any command settings as a default it is in use. Did you check all grading command defaults?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 41
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Meant to post this above..

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 41
mmcwilliams323

Re-defined the defaults in the settings menu to new names, all still there and cant be deleted 😞

Message 10 of 41
jmayo-EE
in reply to: mmcwilliams323

I have a few label styles like that left in our template from previous releases. I could never find the dependancy so I just renamed it 'junk', 'standard' or tried to edit it to be a style I use.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 41
mmcwilliams323

You know, about the 1 good thing I can say the beats inroads is the help I have been getting from all you guys. thanks much. Its almost enough to keep me from another inroads vs C3D rant. Almost... 🙂

I think that the only way I'm going to fix this is to create another template and import all the settings from the older one. Oh, wait.. I have already tried that an although I have -purged, audited, prayed, and danced the funkey chicken it still gives me the all too familiar FATAL ERROR when trying to import all the settings. This one is faily new.

Yup, I sure am glad I have all this time to waste trying to fix this. (ha ha)

cheers and thanks anyways!

Mike

Message 12 of 41
cshumake

I had the same issue, and here is how I resolved it (in C3D 2014):

I removed all dependencies on the Grading Criteria Set that contained the duplicate Grading Criterias and then ran the _purgestyles command. Using the ensuing Style Purge Confirmation dialog box I toggled on just the Grading Criteria Set that contained all the duplicate Grading Criterias I wanted to get rid of.

This deleted the unwanted Grading Criteria Set, but oddly it moved all the duplicate Grading Criterias to my department's standard Grading Criteria Set. However, it also removed all dependencies, which allowed me to delete all the unwanted duplicates.

Message 13 of 41
jmayo-EE

I believe these appear when you copy/paste FLines and gradings.

Try deleting all of your sites if possible. If you have other objects on these sites move them to a new site first.

Perhaps with a big guess here, if you were using ImportStylesAndSettings these grading criteria are now default setings somewhere?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 41
cshumake

RE: my post above

I quick did a screen recording using Chronicle. Here's the link:

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/Main/Details/864a7bdf-97f0-49f3-a0bb-ca3d5eb95cdc

Message 15 of 41
john.mckenzie
in reply to: cshumake

I have had this happen to me also and I have not been able to get rid of them. Usually happens when something goes wrong while erasing gradings.

best to stay away from the acad commands when dealing with objects to the greatest extent possible. use the select/rightclick/c3d command appropriate for the task.

It saves a lot of funky errors and random file corruption.

Message 16 of 41
jmayo-EE
in reply to: john.mckenzie

Do you have specific acad commands that are causing corruption? Can you provide examples? I personally have not seen anything in any release relating corruption to acad commands. 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 17 of 41
john.mckenzie

If I erase grading objects I will quite often (maybe too strong of a term) get problems with my files similar to the criteria set issue stated above.

From experience I have learned to always select object and look for the appropriate C3d command to modify it. It keeps my files from becoming corrupted.

I believe that I have read this in a training manual somewhere also. I will see if I can find it becaue I am sure I am not smart enough to have thought it up on my own LOL

Message 18 of 41
john.mckenzie

Know what.

You may just have to mark me down as CLUELESS on this one because I cannot specifically prove my comment nor find where I read it or how I came to know this information as fact rather than rumor.

So until further notice................ FORGETABOUTIT  LOL.

Message 19 of 41
john.mckenzie

So here we go.

http://c3dcougar.typepad.com/fierce/2011/11/the-complete-buffoons-guide-to-getting-along-with-gradin...

I have heard this in other places also I am sure but leaving pieces behind equates to errors and corruption or the potential of creating errors and corruption. In my mind anyway. Whether it does is up to debate.

Hope the c3dcougar does not mind the link. this is where the pieces left behind comment is made.

Also the best practices guide recommends staying away from acad commands when a c3d command is available to do the job to avoid undesireable results. I may have interpretted that as errors and corruption.

So the jury is still out but these are the kind of things that make me say stay away from acad commands if a C3d command is written to do the task. After all it was written for a reason I would think.

DUNNO for sure.

Message 20 of 41
jmayo-EE
in reply to: john.mckenzie

Ok I most likely misunderstood you John.

In my experience grading object corruption occurs with or without acad commands. IMO they are just very unstable. I have seen gradings corrupt upon opening a file, using grading tools to edit, grip editing, adding a projection, using audit or recover on a file. I have seen this in releases 2004 to 2012. I have not tested in 2014 yet and I skipped 13.

I thought you were saying that acad commands on any C3D object (points. Surfaces, alignments, pipes, grading objects, etc) would corrupt a file.

"Also the best practices guide recommends staying away from acad commands when a c3d command is available to do the job to avoid undesirable results."

This is true ONLY for editing and deleting gradings. Best Practices tell you to explode gradings and use the Move command on Feature lines. Now you may want to track Z during the move and make sure it stays constant but these commands work fine with gradings. Rotate works great as well as long as you only rotate the base FLine of a grading. The blog link also recommends using acad commands like Undo, Move and Rotate.

As I have seen it in my files you avoid grading coruption by avoiding gradings. It has nothing to do with acad commands.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report