Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change rim elevation for a storm manhole

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ltmullen
13918 Views, 9 Replies

Can't change rim elevation for a storm manhole

I have a storm manhole whose rim I can't set below a certain elevation...if I try to make it lower, it just reverts back to that number that it won't go lower than. I changed the properties so that the structure no longer has a reference surface, I changed the "Automatic Surface Adjustment" option for Insertion Rim Behavior to "False."

Can anyone help me figure out what's restricting my ability to adjust the rim height?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: ltmullen

You cannot force the rim below the elevation needed for any cone or slab on the structure. C3D will not allow a pipe to lie in that region, so change the structure to have a shorter cone/taper section.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 10
Jay_B

To add to what Jeff said, it may be possible to adjust some settings in Structure Properties such as frame height

or barrel clearance depending on parts catalog etc. to make minor adjustments.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 10
ltmullen
in reply to: Jay_B

Frame height is as low as it can go from the three options given to me by the dropdown, and I am not able to edit barrel clearance--it's greyed out.

I assume I would have to make a new part in part builder in order to get a structure that will let me have a lower rim height then?

Message 5 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Use a NF structure and display a block
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 10
an.nt1310

That's maybe because of the Rule you set for your manhole. Let's change the rule criteria or turn to another rule may help.

Message 7 of 10
Nick_Carriere

I found a workaround by keeping "Automatic Surface Adjustment" as true, and just using the "Surface Adjustment Value" to make the elevation correct. This would change if your surface changes, so it might be a little extra work when finalizing the job and making sure all the rim elevations are correct; if you are building an existing pipe network, this should be done after you are finished editing your existing surface.

I know this is an old thread and the OP is long past the issue, just thought I would put my solution in since there aren't many posts about it.

Message 8 of 10
LoganEnvEng

I sympathize. I'm a surveyor being forced to learn Civil 3D pipe networks on the fly and its stupendously overcomplicated. Its taken 30 minutes of searching to understand why my manhole lid levels are wrong and why they won't change. Solved it now, this thread helped me thanks.
Message 9 of 10
jonwill1965
in reply to: LoganEnvEng

I've been designing storm systems for almost 20 years, and have in many cases l designed pipe with one foot of cover--yes, folks RCP with one foot of cover will carry an H20 load. But the morons at Autodesk who obviously never designed a real-world drainage system in their lives decided that NOOOO there will NEVER be a pipe laid with less than 4 feet of cover EVER (and I dont care about the cone seen many cases where they cut a hole in the thing and stick the pipe in--agai,n I'm dealing tin the real world not the ridiculous world of AutoDesk  where all l  pipes MUST be with 4 feet of cover, or it jacks your profiles all over the place and sticks your manhole 5' in the air.  Nice to see Autodesk is too busy charging their outrageous fees to actually fix this nonsense in yet another version. Great job guys. 

Message 10 of 10
MMcCall402
in reply to: jonwill1965

Try using a Cylindrical Structure with a frame. It has no cone section, just a flat slab on top.  It'll get to a more shallow cover situation but certainly not to 1 foot  ..... unless you save it as your own custom part and modify some values.  

In my little section of the real world pipes going into cone sections is not allowed.  If they are allowed in your area then you could save the standard manhole with a cone section as your own custom part and edit the cone section height out of its pipe clearance formula.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report