Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't add a structure to existing pipe network

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
demus72
7240 Views, 12 Replies

can't add a structure to existing pipe network

Is there ever a reason the option to add pipes or structures to an existing network would be grayed out? A colleague of mine called a week ago and wanted to add a manhole to the end of a pipe network where he had a cleanout. I didn't see his drawing but over the phone he tells me the button to add pipes and structures was grayed out. It wasn't giving him the option to add both or either or. Any ideas why this is not an option?

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: demus72

Is it possible the network you are trying to edit is a Data Shortcut?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
Joe-Bouza

Holy cow! it just happend to me this morning

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
Joe-Bouza

Is it possible your part list only contains null structures? Mine was like that and it was grayed out, I added a part family and the grayed out went away

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
demus72
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe,

Thank you for the feedback. I will check back with my colleague to have him look into these suggestions.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 13
Joe-Bouza

UBET.

Please let me know.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
knigge

Save. Close. Reload.

Message 8 of 13
emelendez
in reply to: knigge

I would add Recover to that list just before the reload. I've had this happen and without the recovery it did nothing for me.

Edwin Melendez
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Certified Professional
Certification No. 00319327
Message 9 of 13
Jay_B

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Is it possible your part list only contains null structures? Mine was like that and it was grayed out, I added a part family and the grayed out went away

Thanks Joe, We have a couple Parts Lists that only contain Null Structures, adding a part family to these parts list worked like Grecian Formula.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 10 of 13
idigg-be
in reply to: Jay_B

i have this same issue. parts list has non-null structures. i can create a new pipe network, but i cant just add new structures or pipes. the drop down to select structures and pipes or pipes only is grayed out. the network is not a data shortcut.
Message 11 of 13
luke
in reply to: idigg-be

I ran into the issue when we were having DWG issues. We WBLOCK'd everything from the file, and when I went to work in the file, I could not edit my pipe networks. I am assuming the WBLOCK action did not take all background C3D settings, tables, parts lists, etc, etal. 

Message 12 of 13
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: emelendez

For information, there is a historical bug in the application (dated approx r2006) which sporadically causes the Pipe network toolbar editor to grey out. NB this also happens with the profile & alignment toolbars.

The only fix is to (as already stated) save, close the entire application and restart. It's very annoying and I have never found a better method to clear the error. Once you restart the toolbar should work fine.

If the above is does not fix this then please try the following other possibilities.

Check the pipe network catalog is set correctly and matches the parts list (metric)

Check the parts list and parts are editable by removing / adding parts.

Regen and validate the part catalog then check the validation files.

Audit.

If you or someone has recently edited the xml file(s) in the shared properties then please check the formatting within, a slight error will make pipes / structures fail.

One of the above should fix the issue.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 13 of 13
davidedwards
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

If you are in a UCS other than World the tool will be greyed out. Just switch back to World UCS and the tool becomes available.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report