Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain what are parcels are?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
monkeypunch
588 Views, 7 Replies

Can someone explain what are parcels are?

Can someone explain what are parcels are? ELI5

Someone gave me a document that describes parcels and he has since moved on and I'm trying to understand what he was describing. It also described, ParcelList, Edge, Span and Slug. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry to hijack this thread. I could not find the New Topic button on this forum. Please feel free to move it to a new thread.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: monkeypunch

A parcel is nothing more than a closed area you need to define. It could be a piece of property, a utility easement, a riparian buffer, a drainage area, the area of woods, lawn or impervious cover on a piece of property.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
monkeypunch
in reply to: jmayo-EE

So if there is a pool on the property, the lines that enclose that pool would be the pool's parcel? And if the pool was not drawn on the map but the parcel region was I would say, "this parcel is where the pool will go."? BTW I appreciate your help.

Message 4 of 8
jmayo-EE

Why are you making a pool a parcel? Do you need a legal description of this pool area? If you need to report area for bulk zoning I would recomment hatches and an AutoCAD table. Not parcels and a parcel table. You cannot perform math on these values with a C3D table.

I generally use parcels for property. Lots, blocks, riparian zones, easements.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
monkeypunch

So what I've gather so far is that parcels are areas on a property or map or blueprint that are used to delineate the different areas that will be developed? But from what you are saying it's more specific than that?

I should mention I'm a software engineer. I have no background in civil engineering. The participants on the project before me used terms like Parcels and ParcelList throughout the code but they did not write documentation on this particular part of code. As such it seems there are certain concepts that are implied.

Message 6 of 8
jmayo-EE

"So what I've gather so far is that parcels are areas on a property or map or blueprint that are used to delineate the different areas that will be developed? But from what you are saying it's more specific than that?"

No that's a good description of parcels. It is as simple as that but do note a user can always think outside the box and, well make a pool a parcel. 😉 

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
jmayo-EE

Just remove "or blueprint" from your description. We would not typically use a parcel to define a specific archtectural plan of a building but perhaps we would think outside the box and use parcels to sum all of the areas of a bunch of buildings on a surveying or engineering area of intrest or property.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
aneal

I like thinking of parcels as a way of "dividing up" an area.  once you have a closed polygon, a parcel will form, and any lines that cross it will subdivide that parcel.  This will make sure you don't have open or overlapping boundaries.  As John Mayo pointed out, you can go "out of the box" and do a lot more with parcels.  For instance, since drainage basins can't overlap, parcels makes a great tool for delineating drainage basins.  

A key element to understand about parcels are their relation to sites.  Parcel segments interact with each other so long as they are on the same "site".  If you want to do two different things, say hydrology and property in the same file, then you probably want to have a site for hydrology and one for boundary. Since you usually don't want to subtract easement area from a boundary area, you may need to create a new site to do your easements on, and if you are delineating environmental constraints that are not going to be part of a fee simple lot, you may want a site for that.  Being creative with sites is a major part of utilizing sites out of the box and extending their functionality. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report