Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use layer group filters for layer translation (LAYTRANS)?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
471 Views, 4 Replies

Can I use layer group filters for layer translation (LAYTRANS)?

Hello to everybody!

A drawing with hundreds of layers should be simplified for our customer by decreasing the numbers of and renaming the layers (there is yet no target file existing). In order to solve this, I generated group filters and assigned every single layer to them (all printing properties are assigned to objects). The layer groups show the desired layer structure after the transformation (still a three-digit number).
Unfortunately, the LAYTRANS dialog doesn't let me choose layers by group filters or remarks. It seems as all the work was for the birds.

Is there any way to translate my layers using filters or remarks?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Best regards, Tina

I use AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com !

>> the LAYTRANS dialog doesn't let me choose layers by group filters

Correct, you can use wildchars to filter layers together, if you use layernames that don't allow using wildchars for filtering you can't to that (efficient) with _LAYTRANS.

Starting with AutoCAD 2014 you have the option to merge layers using the layermanager ==> select the layers in your like your layerfilter ==> "Merge selected layer(s) to...".

So if you have access to 2014 that might be the first option without development.

2013-10-02 09-42-26.png

But that is a function new for 2014, not availsable for 2010.

And important: I guess that might be problematic to Civil3D objects, if you have defined styles using layers other than "0" you might corrupt your styles and so your objects using such a merge.

>> A drawing with hundreds of layers should be simplified for our customer by

>> decreasing the numbers of and renaming the layers

Is decreasing the number of pages of a book the way to simplify it? My personal opinion to many layers (and well formed layernames) is (in most cases) "well structured", decreasing the layers is making a drawing less structured, not more simply.

>> all printing properties are assigned to objects

Sorry to say, but that is how I never want to get data. You can't control the properties like color, lineweight, linetype, ... now in an easy way. Did you built that just for this one case or do you have apps that are working that way?

If nothing works I guess you need to write your own tool doing that (or let it write).

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

your reply gave me a big smile - even when I'm none the wiser.

While working on this job, I doubt its sense. But we meet the customer's needs. And they want a secretary who may hit the AutoCAD-button to produce a drawing showing i.e.  buildings, trees and roads. For buildings only we use about 50 layers - reasonable well structured and individually editable in appearance. Too much for the costumer's secretary!

I could not even convince them to use layerstates, they want an extreme "down-layering".

In any case, I'll need and keep the current structure. This is why LAYTRANS seems to be the right way to do this job (since I have no experiences in programming LISP) and afterwards keep the mappings at a safe place 😉

Take care,

Tina

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> And they want a secretary who may hit the AutoCAD-button to produce a drawing showing i.e.  

>> buildings, trees and roads. For buildings only we use about 50 layers - reasonable well structured

>> and individually editable in appearance. Too much for the costumer's secretary!

If anyone uses non-trained employees to do something then this "anyone" has to solve the problem either with training the employee or with money spent in writing tools doing that job.

AutoCAD has the aibility to write some tools to create automatism that is not available OOTB, take the chance either to learn it or let someone write the tool. Some hours development makes it then easier/more efficient in the future.

BTW: have you played with the LAYTRANS ==> "save mapping" option? Does that help or are the drawings always structured differently (in that case also a tool might not help).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hi Alfred,

yes we worked with LAYTRANS and save maapings before. It sems to work. Thank you!

Take care.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report