Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I still create polylines from a surface in 2012?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
zyasrobi
3652 Views, 4 Replies

Can I still create polylines from a surface in 2012?

I remember being able to create polylines from a surface in Civil 3D 2009.  I forget exactly what the command was called, but I think it was a "surface utility", or "grading utility", or maybe just a "polyline utility". 

I am now using 2012 (no longer have 2009 loaded to compare) and can't seem to find the command anywhere.  The closest thing I have found is creating polylines from "contour data", which apparently only workes if you defined your surface by contours in the first place.  My surface is defined by points and breaklines.  I would really like to be able to "export contours" or "create contours" so that I am left with independent polylines that mimic the contours of the surface and are each at the elevation of that contour.

Can someone give me some pointers or bring me up to speed?  Thanks!

SLJ

Civil 3D 2012

Windows 7

Intel Core i5

8.0GB RAM

64-bit OS

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: zyasrobi

I think it would be enough to switch on the right style in surface properties...

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Polyline Utilities > Edit Polyline Elevations is what you are probably looking for.

Message 4 of 5
awood

If the Surface Style is set to show Contours you can select the Surface then click Extract Objects from the Surface Tools on the ribbon.

The dialog that comes up allows you to Select All or you can select specific contours.

This will create 2D Polyline contours at elevation.

Hope that helps

AWood

Message 5 of 5
zyasrobi
in reply to: awood

Thanks AWood!  That is exactly what I was looking for - really appreciate your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report