Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can FIELD read OBJECT DATA Table

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Ajilal.Vijayan
1448 Views, 10 Replies

Can FIELD read OBJECT DATA Table

Hai all,

I am just wondering whether FIELD category can access the OBJECT DATA Table ?

I want to use a block to display its OD table's attributes as Annotation text , so that the Text will update when the OD table change.

Or do I need use the Data connection for this purpose ?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Murph_Map
in reply to: Ajilal.Vijayan

No fields can not read Map3D object data tables. However you can create a Map3D annotation block that will read the OD and display it as a block attribute then after you update the OD values you update/refresh the annotation blocks. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 11
Sinc

Similarly, Field data cannot access C3D data, which has been a major source of trouble for many, for years now.  We keep hoping that, someday, somebody at Autodesk will start to understand these issues.

Sinc
Message 4 of 11
Ajilal.Vijayan
in reply to: Sinc

Hai,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the Map3D annotation block and thats works fine , but I am confused about the label insertion point .X1,.Y1,.Z1 and .X2,.Y2,.Z2. What does this mean ?

After inserting the Annotation , I moved the label position and once I refresh/update the label goes back to default position.How I can fix this ?

Also like Sinc said , lets hope Autodesk will understand and one day FIELD can read OD Table.

Regards

AJIL

Message 5 of 11
Murph_Map

The label insertion point of x1,y1,z1 and x2,y2,z2 are for the endpoints of a line object.

If you need to keep the label at a loction you manually moved it to use the Refesh with the StringOnly option.

As for the Field using C3D objects, I would bet it would be in SincPak before it gets in OOTB Civil3D.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 11

Ajil,

if you want dynamic labels, fed by OD, you don't need to wait for any Autodesk miracle about Field: it's sufficient to stylize your layer.

Message 7 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: antoniovinci

@antoniovinci wrote:

Ajil,

if you want dynamic labels, fed by OD, you don't need to wait for any Autodesk miracle about Field: it's sufficient to stylize your layer.

No, it isn't.  Map and C3D and core AutoCAD don't understand each other.  It's as if we have three completely separate programs running in the same executable.

Fields can't see Map Object Data or C3D data.  C3D labels can't see Fields or OD.  Map Annotations can't see Fields or C3D data.  It's a huge mess.

Sinc
Message 8 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: Sinc

Sinc wrote:
No, it isn't

Dear Sinc,

I struggle with (or against) Autocad since 1988, so I guess I know what I'm writing about...

You're gonna learn something new right now, so sit down, have a cup of good coffee, and enjoy the dynamic labelling, fed by OD in realtime:

1] open this map, all dedicated to you

2] issue _ADEEDITDATA and change the Object Data of whatever boundary

3] in the Display Manager, right click on SINC then UPDATE

Message 9 of 11

Hai Vinci,

What you suggested is exactly right for labels and Map 3d annotation.

But I think , Sinc was mentioning about FIELD.

Because my question was whether FIELD can read OD Table.

But all you guys helped me to solve the problem , as now I got two options to read the OD Table data without using FIELD.

1.Annotation blocks by using Annotation template settings.

2.Use labels to read the OD.

As I am new to Civil 3D , can you explain the steps to create this dynamic label ?

AJIL

Message 10 of 11

AJIL wrote:

Because my question was whether FIELD can read OD Table

..and my answer was: forget Field, period.

If your goal is to show the content of Object Data, by means of labeling you're gone.

That's a technical forum, no room or mercy for philosophy, sir. 

Message 11 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: antoniovinci

I understand what you are saying, and know how to use Object Data and Map Annotations.  I used to use them all the time in Land Desktop, because I found Map Annotations on Map Topologies to be the best way to do Parcel maps in Land Desktop.

But I stand by what I said...  Civil 3D is basically like having three separate programs all running in the same executable...  You have Civil 3D elements (e.g. C3D Labels, Parcels, Alignments, Surfaces, Cogo Points, etc.), Map elements (e.g. Object Data, Topologies, etc.), and core Autocad elements (e.g. Fields), and NONE of them know anything about the others.

It can be useful to use ANY of these in certain situations.  But the fact that they all fail to work together can really complicate the learning curve, and leaves the software feeling very shizophrenic.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report