Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call me lazy (Pressure Pipe Catalog)

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
JCyganiak
7061 Views, 47 Replies

Call me lazy (Pressure Pipe Catalog)

Call me lazy but is there somewhere we can purchase a AWWA pressure pipe catalog parts list? The company i work for doesn't have the time or resources to build our own parts. It's great that 2014 comes preloaded with ductal iron pipes and fittings but here in Florida DIP is only used when we cross a road or have separation issues.

Joe Cyganiak
Civil Engineering Senior Designer
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
tcorey
in reply to: JCyganiak

Hello Lazy,

You said to call you that...

But, seriously, Joe, if you post in the Autodesk classifieds discussion group, here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Classifieds/bd-p/119, you might find someone with experience who can build them for you.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 48
JCyganiak
in reply to: tcorey

Tim,

Thanks for the idea. I will post something today.

Best Regards,

Lazy 🙂

Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 4 of 48
csevers

I don't quite understand. It will cost more for a parts list than just making your own. It doesn't take more than a couple hours.

Anyway, last time I had to do this was using 2011. I just made blocks for a profile and plan views of valves and tees and set up a new structure for each of those. I didn't have pressure network (I was using 2011) so I just used DIP from the storm sewers. 

For hydrants I just used a projected block.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 5 of 48
csevers
in reply to: csevers

Why can't you use the ductile iron fittings for the drawings? Also, what kind of fittings are you using?

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 6 of 48
JCyganiak

We did the same using pipe networks. However the features in the pressure pipe are a huge benifit when doing a OPC. If you look into what it takes to make your own gate valves, fire hydrants, bactieral sample points, tee's, reducers, (the list is quite large) it takes a lot of understanding building parts in 3d. We simply don't have the resources nor do I have the time to do it myself (or i would). I have been working 60hr weeks since 2011 and like i said... i just don't have the time to create them.

DIP in Florida is typically only used in certain counties, and or if you break a required vertical/horizontal sepertation. We use HDPE and Steel for casing pipes when in a directional bore situation and when we are crossing under pavement we use a thicker class of PVC (DR-14)

So just using DIP will not do. I shouldn't have to trick the styles or Civil3d for that matter, by using DIP and calling it something else. Does me know good when I want to run a OPC report.

Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 7 of 48
csevers

Why shouldn't you have to trick the styles? Civil 3D is a tool, not a solution, you have to use it how you can to accomplish what you need.

Why not simply count the valves, hydrants, bends, tees, etc. and create your own OPC report? That's what I've always done. You can have an intern do the quantity take-offs. You still have to get unit prices for your report, so what is the advantage of Civil 3D other than the take-offs?

How did you prepare other water distribution plans? You can always revert to an older method.

As far as creating your own custom pieces from blocks, as I was saying. You really don't need to make that many. One for tees, valves, hydrants, reducers, and vertical bends (3 maximum, 45, 22.5, 11.25). You can scale the blocks for different size pipe. I just draw in meter vaults, pump stations, and other infrequent installations as necessary. 

Also, I am familiar with C-900 pipe. We use it here in Ohio, although it depends on municipality. I'm just giving you tips based on what I've done in the past. Remember, you don't need a sledghammer to kill a fly.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 8 of 48
JCyganiak

We have interns do take-off's but the fact is we still have human error there. If a designer has Civil generate the OPC your taking most of the error out of it. It's doubtful that we would ever put unit pricing into Civil, however, the quantities it generates is extremely valuable. Especially when doing sidewalks, curb, sub-grade, limerock, and pavement.

The older method was using pipe networks to create water/force/irrigation etc. Those were using blocks but doesn't work as well as the pressure pipe feature. You can't just take blocks to create pressure parts either. They have to be 3D solids to start will. Furthermore we have some municipalities that require that you show fittings in profile view. Pipe networks is not the answer for this. Autodesk got it right with the pressure pipe though. It will allow you to move and add parts in profile view and will translate to plan view. Thus ensuring that your fittings/appurtenances are in the correct location.

I think creating pipe parts isn't going to be all that diffcult or time consuming but appurtenances, and adding reducers to the catalog isn't easy. All the research I've done basically tells you to run unless you really know what your doing in the content catalog editor.

Again, Autodesk did a great thing here adding the pressure network feature! I just hope there is something out there that allows me to add more parts without having to do them myself. We use a lot of 4" gate valves on our reuse/irrigation systems and the smallest valve Autodesk added is a 6". Wish they would have just offered a add-on or something to complete the package.

Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 9 of 48
gccdaemon

Build your own? "I ain't got no time fo dat" LOLZ

I'll take a lirbary if you can post one.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 10 of 48
JCyganiak
in reply to: gccdaemon

We will buy one if anything is out there but I can't find anything!

Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 11 of 48
csevers

I think we would all buy one if it were availiable.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 12 of 48
jscott004

I found this in my search for the same thing yesterday. However, I have not contacted them to inquire about pricing.

http://www.atgusa.com/pdf/pressure%20pipes.pdf

Message 13 of 48
JCyganiak
in reply to: jscott004

Awesome! Thank you very much! I'll look into this and let you know what I
find!
Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 14 of 48
paulkirkendall

Chris, did you find someone to get you the parts you need?.
Paul c. Kirkendall
Civil Application Engineer
MasterGraphics Inc.
Message 15 of 48
JCyganiak
in reply to: paulkirkendall

Yes, but at a cost of $1,000. A lot of stuff we didn't need. I personally would have pulled the trigger on the purchase, however my boss doesn't want to spend money on add-ones just yet. He would rather see autodesk add to the parts list instead. (Not sure that they will tho) I will have more info by the end of next month. We are purchasing a monthly flex time contact from a civil3d-autodesk certified expert. So I will be picking his brain on this. Plus weather or not it's efficient enough to use in the plan production stage.

Joe Cyganiak

Sent from my iPhone
Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017
Message 16 of 48
bcmonsen
in reply to: gccdaemon

I found one that is prett great!

http://c3d-pressuresystem.blogspot.com/ 

Message 17 of 48
bcmonsen

I found one that has all the parts that I need. You should look into it. 

http://c3d-pressuresystem.blogspot.com/ 

Message 18 of 48
drenaud

Did anyone ever come up with a comprehensive parts list for sharing? I need reducers, hydrants, sleeves, butterfly valves, caps, plugs, live tap valves, all of it. I work for a water utility that owns 800 miles of pipe that is being systematically replaced. We run into all kinds of situations and need every part there is to accomodate the infrastructure upgrade while maintaining service.

I tried to add a hydrant. The solid model looks like a hydrant, and I have the CL defined and a connection point. Unfortunately my PC will not run Autodesk.Aec.Content.CatalogEditor.exe (see post in the Installation forum where I describe my issue), so I cannot add the part to the catalog.

I cannot use pressure pipes to completely model the system. Does anyone still use regular old pipe networks to model water? I'm mostly interested in plan production and quantities.

PS the links to the catalogs toward the end of this post return 404 errors. Like C3D does when I tried to add a hydrant!

Oh, Civil 3D 2015 here.

Message 19 of 48
troma

Message 20 of 48
JCyganiak
in reply to: drenaud

We don't use pressure pipe at all. Too time-consuming. We still use pipe
networks to model our water mains. We created a parts list for all the
different fittings, valves, etc. so this way we can label all through the
label styles and so that we can easily quantify the parts.
Joe Cyganiak
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report