Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating volume from corridor Models

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
db16
763 Views, 5 Replies

Calculating volume from corridor Models

Hello,

I've been learning civil3d for some time now and I really want to understand how the program calculates volumes from road corridors.

When the top code is used to create surface from a road corridor, the created surface coincides with the top of the road pavement (binder/wearing course), which is not part of earthworks.

How can I create a surface at the formation level so as to compute actual earthworks?

I hope my question is comprehensible

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: db16

You'll also want to create a "Datum" surface using bottom links, and apply a surface boundary to each surface in Corridor Properties.

This  related thread may also be helpful in understanding "how the program calculates volumes from road corridors."

I'm not familiar with the term "Formation" but the "Datum" is the bottom most layer of your assembly.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
db16
in reply to: Jay_B

Thanks,

I'll try your suggestion.

I my region, we call the Datum "Formation Level".

Message 4 of 6
neilyj666

When doing this ensure you use the adjustment for bottom links; can't remember the actual wording as not in front of civil now so can't check.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 6
neilyj666

...its overhang correction....:)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 6
MikeEvansUK

Remember that this won't be (truly) correct on a road with a camber.

The datum surface will follow the surface profile which the sub base or capping does not do, it will slope from one side to another, it also will project past the edge.

This is ok if you want a pinch of salt volume but otherwise I would consider using either generic links or bolting on sub assemblies to form the base layer correctly.

A quick fix would be to use the featureline points instead of links in the corridor surface as this will ignore the crown level projection at the base , it still won't be true tho..

NB based on uk design.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report