Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating soil cut and fill for revised grading

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
dbombliss128
3474 Views, 21 Replies

Calculating soil cut and fill for revised grading

Hey guys,

Newbie to autocad here. I'm good at finding the information I need to execute what I need in Autocad, but I need at least a little direction first.

What I'm trying to acheive, is to calculate how much cubic ft of soil is either required to fill the revised grading, or to remove from the revised grading, to determine if there is enough soil there, or how much soil needs to be brought in. For this specific request, I have no idea what aspects of Autocad to research to make it happen. As I'm posting this thread, I'll be reading up on it, but if any of you civil cad guys have a clear direction of which commands/programs I need to understand, I'd appreciate the input.

-Dan

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
sacprasanna
in reply to: dbombliss128

Hi Dan,

You can calculate any cut or fill volume if you are using Civil 3D,with AutoCAD you should calculate it manulay.

Chamara Prasanna
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015 SP 1
Sri Lanka
Message 3 of 22
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: dbombliss128

For total earth work:
Create existing ground surface EG
Create future ground surface FG
Create a volume surface EG = base FG = comparison, volume tab give totals.
If you have pavements, sidewalks , foundations etc, you can manually add then up and increase the cut value obtained in the volume surface

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 22
fcernst
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

..If you have pavements, sidewalks , foundations etc, you can manually add then up and increase the cut value obtained in the volume surface..

What if something like a sidewalk is far and clear above EG, residing in Fill? Why add that to Cut?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 22
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: fcernst

Hi Fred

Total Earthwork algebra: F-C = total export/ import

If pavement and or sidewalk or anything is below FG and well above EG its volume reduces the amount of fill required, represented as -F, and -F is equivalent to + C. Likewise, anything below FG and below EG increases the cut require, represented as + C

earthwork002.jpg

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 22
fcernst

..and -F is equivalent to + C..

??

How can you assert this? Wonder if there is no +C, or plus +C is simply a different structural volume than -F?

All players, engineer, contractor and owner need to know truly how much Cut there is to remove and estimate project costs. Typically we also offer to map out our Cut/Fills to our clients, so we need to analyze the true impact of the structural areas.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 22
neilyj666

This logic is only applicable to deduce the net cut or fill- it cannot tell you where the cut and fill is located nor where the zero cut fill line is located.

Assuming cut is +ve and fill is -ve it is simple algebraic logic. The construction volumes are always added to the net volume algebraically.

If the net is +ve adding the construction thickness will increase the cut and if -ve adding will reduce the net volume.  

In my experience, consultants simply quote volumes from Egl to FGL which is a total waste of time and gives a distorted picture of earthworks task required

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 8 of 22
Joe-Bouza

I can assert this by the logic of algebra and the typical section shown. Is the logic in the sketch wrong? As stated this tells the total "export or import". My interpertation of what the OP was asking to accomplish.

You can verify it with a differential TIN, but the sketch is a representation of such a TIN and the results change the FG-EG computation the same way; the subrade surface reduces the fill and increases the cut. Its right there in the picture and it the picture of the DTS white papers

We too have provided clients with cut & fill maps, we simply add a little table of manual adjustments. This saves time modeling the subgrade

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 9 of 22
fcernst
in reply to: neilyj666

This logic is only applicable to deduce the net cut.....If the net is +ve adding the construction thickness will increase the cut...

Wonder if the whole site was in Fill, nothing going below EG,  and you are reporting a Cut volume?  Nonsense...

Accurate Cut and Fill volume numbers need to be reported with structural thicknesses accounted for to define the Subgrade surface. The comparison should be Subgrade surface vs. EG (strpped) surface.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 10 of 22
fcernst

Is the logic in the sketch wrong?...

Yes.  

...the subrade surface reduces the fill and increases the cut.

No, not always. The Subgrade surface (= Bottom of Structure section) section could be up in Fill above EG, and then there would be no Cut generated by the Structure.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 22
Joe-Bouza

No, it only reduces the fill required. We do have to think as well as model

If we have a hole with an empty space volume of 100 cy and we put a 10 cy structure in the bottom of it how many cy yards of fill do we need?

If we have a hole with an empty space volume of 100 cy and we put a 10 cy structure flush with the the bottom of it how many cy yards of fill do we need?

If we have a hole with an empty space volume of 100 cy and we put a 10 cy structure 50% above and below the bottom of it how many cy yards of fill do we need?

I think you will agree that in each case the answer is 90 cy by algebra, DTS, subgrade - EG comparison, etc.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 12 of 22
neilyj666

If the whole site was fill I.e. -ve volume, adding the construction thickness volumes would make the fill volume less negative.

I prefer to model the earthworks outline i.e. subgrade to get an overall earthworks picture

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 13 of 22
fcernst

I think you will agree that in each case the answer is 90 cy by algebra, DTS, subgrade - EG comparison, etc...

Nope (i.e. we don't place Fill on top of Structures).  The bottom of the Structure is the Datum.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 22
Joe-Bouza

Fred Its a hypothetical example, the structure is just a volume. The volume is the volume no matter how you slice it. I dont care if you use it, but calling it nonsense and poppycock isn't proving the math is wrong. Show me the math that makes it wrong.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 15 of 22
fcernst

..Show me the math that makes it wrong.

The quickest way I thought to test this was to use a corridor where I could easily create datum and fg surfaces with structures. I used the true (3D) top surface area of the structures, not projected. A 2% cross slope on top of the structures with a mildly undulating longtudinal profile.

It is a 2,926' long straight road covering about 3.5 acres worth of grading. You can see in the report below the road images (FG-EG on the left, Datum-EG on the right),  although the net is fairly close the Cut and Fills are not.

The problems I have with this method:

-Need accuracte Cut and Fill numbers for project costs, anticipted work effort, schedule, resources, etc. 

-No ability to map Cut and Fill areas, determine if there is rock cut, groundwater issue, reusable soil issues, etc.

-Not sure what the Net Volume error differential will do on larger projects, and with less homogenity. What will it do on 100, 200 or 1,000 acre projects? 

Capture.JPG

vol2%.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 22
Joe-Bouza

What are the dimensions of the pavement structure?
Width?
Depth?

And Happy New year

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 17 of 22
Joe-Bouza

So we have an error of plus muinus 5 cy over 3.5 acres. So it works, is that correct?

Your aversion to the process is understandable if you are accustomed to working on sites of 200 ac and more. I know it gives people the willies. And yes, you will not get a C&F map that represents the total earth work or have something to schedule work by. We work on sites considerablt smaller and the contractor typically buys the Earth Work from the grading plan

But this started out by offering the OP a way to get total earth work for their revised grading, which the method does do as your corridor and calculation shows.

Fred have a Happy New Year. I have enjoyed the dialog

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 18 of 22
neilyj666

As I mentioned a few posts ago, this method can onIy give the overall eathworks volumes for a project which can be useful in the early stages but not so much when it comes to costing the project.

EESignature

Message 19 of 22
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: neilyj666

I too have been saying that all along. It only computes..... "Total Earth Work" to get total import or export. For the scope of work we do it has worked handily over the years. We do'nt do mass haul and only create cut fill maps for internal use. If we did we would do a datum analysis.

How do you all work drainage structures into your datum surfaces?

for example in our locale we use leaching structures that typically occupy 50-75 cy of space below FG and may have a field of many. For me, doing what I do is accurate enough and quicker. I may get fired if someone saw me creating DDTIN surfaces for 100 drywells.

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 20 of 22
neilyj666

I guess you just have to model appropriately for the particular project....;)

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report