Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating side slope

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
getrekdent
1259 Views, 29 Replies

Calculating side slope

Good Day! 

I have created an existing ground profile of a surface I will be working on which runs through the mountains,  Is there a way I can plot points along my existing ones say two meters above and two meters below the center line then create a profile or calculate slope between the two points? 

BoXx ApeXx S3 Workstation - 64 GB Ram
i7 Overclocked to 5.1GHz - Nvidia Quadro P6000
29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: getrekdent

Worry not.

Now you correct me. Your earlier picture only shows points along your alignment. Are these the only point that make your surface? By the looks of your earlier picture the answer is yes.

If that is true, what side slope are you trying to obtain? Proposed existing?
A line of points does not have sufficient data to explaing the 14 meter width and determine either existing or proposed side slope.

So if I understand what you have correctly and alignment with elevation along it and no elevation data left or right of it, then there is no way to determine anything other than the longitudinal grade along the alignment.

Draw a cross section and label what you have and what you want?
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 22 of 30
getrekdent
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Yes you are correct, these are the only points I believe; I will explain a bit, we received a GIS file with the bid package when I loaded the .Shp file to civil all that was displayed was a 2 dimensional layout of right of way and temporary work spaces, above this was one line that appeared to be the line which contained the survey point data (x,y,z). I was able to extract the x,y,z points from this file into notepad and save them as a .xyz file and load them into a Civil 3D survey points database. (sorry I am not well versed in this maybe I am rambling) When I imported the extracted points into civil and created the surface from the new points file it appears to be exactly what I was looking for. I have found one way I am not sure how accurate it is but I created an offset (7 meters each side of the center line) then plotted random points along each of these offsets and manually extracted the "Z" coordinate from each point for the elevation. Another thing I wonder is how accurate is this extracted data from the GIS file and how can this program build the surface it has off of one line of points?

Message 23 of 30
getrekdent

Img 1.png

Img 2.png

Img 1.png

Message 24 of 30
Joe-Bouza

@getrekdent wrote:
Yes you are correct, these are the only points I believe; I will explain a bit, we received a GIS file with the bid package when I loaded the .Shp file to civil all that was displayed was a 2 dimensional layout of right of way and temporary work spaces, above this was one line that appeared to be the line which contained the survey point data (x,y,z). I was able to extract the x,y,z points from this file into notepad and save them as a .xyz file and load them into a Civil 3D survey points database. (sorry I am not well versed in this maybe I am rambling) When I imported the extracted points into civil and created the surface from the new points file it appears to be exactly what I was looking for. I have found one way I am not sure how accurate it is but I created an offset (7 meters each side of the center line) then plotted random points along each of these offsets and manually extracted the "Z" coordinate from each point for the elevation. Another thing I wonder is how accurate is this extracted data from the GIS file and how can this program build the surface it has off of one line of points?

Not accurate at all!

Any elevation data left or right of your "Line" is absolutly and totally meaningless. the only reason you got a surface in the shape you have is because you line serpentines and center line point are triangulating to other centerline points. So unfortunately there is no data to determine a side slope.

You should, however be able to obtain topographic data in your region from some GIS clearing house or local jurisdiction entity. Where did you get the original data for the line? perhaps that source has more?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 25 of 30
getrekdent

Okay thank you, The file was supplied with the package and unfortunately that's all they are willing to supply. I tried plotting more random points along the surface and checking the elevation's of them, they do seem to correspond with the profiles we were supplied with. There is no chance these random plotted points are accurate even within a smaller range?

Message 26 of 30
Joe-Bouza

Doubtful.
There must be some paper maps of this vacinity you could acquire with topo that you could scan and overlay, no?

I would not trust any elevations other than the ones in the alignment
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 27 of 30
getrekdent

If I buy digital topo's would that work? I believe I can find them for the area.

Message 28 of 30
Joe-Bouza

We all try to perform our Due Diligence, so if that is the only data available to you then you did your part.

IMHO it would be suitable for the task. What digital is is subjective. Is it a "digital paper topo or a GIS database with all the trimmings? Either way your heading in the correct direction.
GIS= instant surface
Paper Map = some digitizing
Find out what you are paying for, and great luck to you. You are on track now
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 29 of 30
getrekdent

Thank you so much for all of your help! I feel much more confident now 🙂
Once again sorry for all of the confusion!!

Message 30 of 30
Joe-Bouza

No Worries. I appologize if I roughed you up.
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report