Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Existing Berm Volumes

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
tkasperick
1657 Views, 13 Replies

Calculating Existing Berm Volumes

I am looking to calculate the volume of an existing berm from a TIN surface.  I have read through some of the Civil 3D tutorials, and realize that I will need to have two surfaces (base and comparison), but need to figure out how to create the comparison surface.  Any help/pointers on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: tkasperick

I would make a FL about the base of the existing berm add it to a surface called something like BermBase. then make the volume surface EG= base and BaseBerm= comparison. The result should be a cut volume equal to the existing berm

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 14
tkasperick
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Okay, great.  There are multiple (a lot) of bermed containment areas within the surface that I am looking at.  Will I need to take that into account when comparing the existing surface to my new BermBase?

Thank you for your help!

Message 4 of 14
Joe-Bouza

The calculation will only consider the area directly abobe or below BermBase. Are you saying you need to compute many?
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 5 of 14
tkasperick
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Correct.  I need to calculate the volume of each bermed containment area seperately.  And will the volume of the material above the BermBase be calculated using this methodology?  I should have clarified earlier, but I am technically trying to calculate the volume of a void area that the berm could contain.

Once again, thank you for your help!

Message 6 of 14
Joe-Bouza

make a Fl for each BermBase and the calculated cut will be the volume above. You can add all the FL to one BaseBerm and play with the check boxes under the definition tab to get individual volumes
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 14
Neilw_05

It is not clear to me what volume you are needing to compute. Are you wanting the volume of earth used to build the berms or are you wanting the volume of liquid retained ("containment") behind the berms?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 8 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Neilw_05

I took it as the earth mound?
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 14
tkasperick

Sorry for the confusion.  I am looking to calculate the volume of liquid retained (containment) behind the berms.  I am not looking to calculate the volume of material that make-up the berm. 

Thank you.

Message 10 of 14
Neilw_05

I haven't been through the workflow, but in principle you'd need to determine the spillover elevation for each contained area. Then create a planar surface at that elevation and use it as a reference surface for the volume. To delineate the perimeter of the contained area you could use the command to extract the boundary between the intersecting surfaces. I don't remember what that command is but you should be able to find it in the help docs.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 11 of 14
tkasperick

Okay, great advice.  I will try that out and post if it is a success!

Thank you.

Message 12 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Do exaclty as I described for the BremBase method, except the FL would represent the High Water Level (HWL) not the base of Berm
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 13 of 14
Joe-Bouza

User contour would be the way I go about it
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 14 of 14
tkasperick

Thank you all for your help.  Sorry I was late in responding, but the method I ended up using was creating a surface at the spill over elevation of each containment area, using the "Minimum Distance Between Surfaces" command to generate a polyline at the spill over elevation, and adding that as a breakline and boundary of the surface.  Then I could compare the existing surface and the planar surface I created to attain the volume between the two.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report