Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

caice .kmc file to autocad civil 3d

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dexterk
1553 Views, 9 Replies

caice .kmc file to autocad civil 3d

Is there a way to open a caice .kmc file in autocad civil3d 2010 or 2012?  If not, is there a converter anyone has used?  Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mike.barkasi
in reply to: dexterk

I believe you mean .kcm

You can use any of the Bentley Civil products to load the CAiCE file, giving more functionality with the file than C3d

In fact even the basic PowerSurvey product contains this functionality, at a very reasonable cost.

Regards

Mike Barkasi

Bentley Civil

Message 3 of 10
sboon
in reply to: mike.barkasi

Check this thread for more information about the Caice Extension for Civil3d.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 10
peterfunkautodesk
in reply to: sboon

Use the Autodesk CAiCE Translator that we provide as part of 2014 (or on subscription before that) to convert the CAiCE project. Unless it is the only file you have, we don't recommend converting the KCM file (an Access database) because of the reduced precision that is inherent in that file format. The KCM file is also a very small part of the overall CAiCE project.

The Translator that we provide will convert PT4, EAR, TRI, XY, HA, KCP and SRV files to Civil 3D. The EAR conversion will create a corridor from the cross sections, when you pair it with an alignment/profile.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 10
sboon
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

How does it create a corridor from the Caice project without an assembly?

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 10
peterfunkautodesk

The EAR file is a record of the cross sections that CAiCE created using fragments. We read that file and apply the points and links in along an alignment/profile to create the corridor. The corridor is a "static" corridor, but it does display the road as it was in CAiCE, and can be used to create surfaces and Civil 3D cross sections.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10
sboon
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

If it's possible to do that with Caice data then it can be done with section data from other sources.

It would be very useful for me to be able to import this type of information from Trimble rxl files, or from other software that produces "corridor-like" objects and see it in Civil 3D.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 10
peterfunkautodesk

This would be possible with other file formats using .NET API to create a subassembly that would read the external file. There are a bunch of assumptions that you need to make to do it, but it can be done as long as you can read the files using NET.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10
TerryDotson
in reply to: dexterk

If anyone has a KMC file they can share, please send it to dotson [at] dotsoft [dot] com, thanks.

Message 10 of 10

Hello, I'm a novice autocad user - I primarily work with ESRI products. I'm interested in knowing if there is a way to automate the conversion of caice files to text. I have many, many caice files that I'd like to convert. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have experience with automating tasks using python.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report