Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D2013 Service pack 1 win 8?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
nikoue
1411 Views, 24 Replies

C3D2013 Service pack 1 win 8?

Service pack 1 Arrive.

In the support file there is nothing about compability with windows 8.

Let us know if someone try it with windows 8

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
neilyj666
in reply to: nikoue

If it doesn't say it is compatible, then it isn't.....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 25
jason_ensell

AutoCAD Civil 3D Service Pack 1 is now live on the support site here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?id=20980082&siteID=123112&linkID=9240698

With this service pack we did not address any issues specifically with Windows 8.

Jason Ensell
Sr. Product Owner - DCP-BID-Infrastructure
Message 4 of 25
rkmcswain
in reply to: jason_ensell

There is a bug in 2013 where if you try and sort parcels by clicking any header in the toolspace, the parcel listing goes blank.  More details in this thread, as well as a temporary fix/workaound that I came up with.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Toolspace-Item-View-not-working-properly/m-p/3697930#...

SP1 did not address this bug.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 25
lsssurvey

OK. I concede. The unlucky number 13 Civil3D and I were not meant to be. Service Pack 1 is out, but no Win8 support. So, my shiny new, hot Windows 8 machine will sit in the corner gathering dust until Civil3D 14 is released next Spring.

Tom
Message 6 of 25
Jeff_M
in reply to: lsssurvey

@lsssurvey wrote:

Service Pack 1 is out, but no Win8 support. So, my shiny new, hot Windows 8 machine will sit in the corner gathering dust until Civil3D 14 is released next Spring.

And how many other programs do you use regularly which have issued updates for their existing programs to support Win8?

I could understand complaining if Autodesk had said, back in April when C3D2013 was released, that it "would be fully Win8 compliant when it is released in 6 months". But, they didn't, so please don't be so surprised. If anything, complain to MS for breaking things that worked fine for programs running on Win7....just a thought.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 25
jason_ensell

Is there is a specific issue that is blocking you from using Civil 3D 2013 on Windows 8 or is it just the lack of official support for the OS?

Jason Ensell
Sr. Product Owner - DCP-BID-Infrastructure
Message 8 of 25

Hi,

>> Is there is a specific issue that is blocking you from using Civil 3D 2013 on Windows 8

>> or is it just the lack of official support for the OS?

There is one big reason: if she/he has troubles and calls the Autodesk-support the only answer you get is: "Win 8 is not supported".

(SCNR)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 9 of 25
nikoue

In my case Civil 3d crash after few seconds when i m starting using civil oblects

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 Hotfix 3.
Win 8 pro x64, OCZ RevoDrive 240GB
Intel i7 930, 12 GB Ram, Ati Firepro V7800

Message 10 of 25
lsssurvey

I have a specific issue that keeps me from running Civil3D 13 in Windows 8... It keeps crashing. I wrote the post above before even trying out the service pack, because there was no mention of Win8 compatability. But today I got a chance to install the service pack, and it made things even worse!. The first time I ran Civil3D 13, I opened a survey map I had prepared. My very first action, zooming into an area, caused it to crash. Then I re-booted, ran Civil3d and opened a very simple drawing with just some linework and a few civil points. I switched over to my other sceen and was doing something in Explorer, and then Civil 3D crashed without me doing anything in it.

yes, every other program I had running in Win 7 is working fine in Win8, except for Civil3D. I've been using AutoCAD for decades. I'm not superstitious, but wasn't there similar problems plaguing AutoCAD 13 when it was released? I'm just saying...

Tom

Tom
Message 11 of 25
lvthunder
in reply to: Jeff_M

Civil 3D is the ONLY program I use that doesn't work as well on Windows 8 as Windows 7.  I shouldn't be surprised though since AutoCAD (all different flavors) crashes more than any other program we use in the office.  It's sad when Autodesk's latest and greatest doesn't work on the latest and greatest PC's you can buy at the store.

Message 12 of 25
rkmcswain
in reply to: lvthunder

@lvthunder wrote:

Civil 3D is the ONLY program I use that doesn't work as well on Windows 8 as Windows 7.  I shouldn't be surprised though since AutoCAD (all different flavors) crashes more than any other program we use in the office.  It's sad when Autodesk's latest and greatest doesn't work on the latest and greatest PC's you can buy at the store.

Not surprising since C3D 2013 came out before Win8.  Look for Win8 compatibility on C3D 2014.

As far as C3D crashing "more than any other program we use in the office",  I don't see that here. Yea, we get an occasional crash, but C3D 2013 on Win7x64 (with good, but not bleeding edge hardware) is as or more stable than any other AutoCAD setup we've ever had. The crashes we do have can usually be traced to corrupt DWG files.

Message 13 of 25
neilyj666

2013 is the most stable version I've used...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 14 of 25
lvthunder
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

Not surprising since C3D 2013 came out before Win8.  Look for Win8 compatibility on C3D 2014.

As far as C3D crashing "more than any other program we use in the office",  I don't see that here. Yea, we get an occasional crash, but C3D 2013 on Win7x64 (with good, but not bleeding edge hardware) is as or more stable than any other AutoCAD setup we've ever had. The crashes we do have can usually be traced to corrupt DWG files.

All my other software came out before Windows 8 did too.  All of the CS6 stuff from Adobe came out around the same time as Civil3D did and there are no problems there.  This software costs over $6,000 it should act like it.

You say the crashes you experience can usually be traced to corrupt DWG files.  Why is that?  Why does AutoCAD produce corrupt DWG files?  You rarely hear people say my Word file is corrupt or my Photoshop file is corrupt.  Yet you here and see corrupt DWG files all the time.

You also say it is as or more stable than any other AutoCAD setup we've ever had.  That isn't saying much.  Is it as stable as Word and Photoshop (or whatever else you run on the same computer).  In my case the answer is no.  We share a lot of files with other people (some even internationally) so it wouldn't surprise me if the files are corrupt, but there is no way of fixing them.  We have tried and the errors go right along with them.

Now I'm not saying AutoCAD crashes everyday or anything.  I'm just saying that it crashes a lot more often than anything else.

Message 15 of 25
rkmcswain

If your Chevrolet automobile kept breaking down, you'd probably quit buying them and get a Ford, or Toyota, or something else. Maybe it's time to look for another CAD vendor if you unsatisfied with Autodesk products.

Bentley would love to have your business. I wonder if their products are as stable as Word and Photoshop?

Message 16 of 25
lvthunder

Got to love the attitude of the faithful.  The product we love is perfect anyone who revels its flaws should just go away.

So instead of holding their feet to the fire and pushing them to improve you think I should just bail?  There are only two problems with that.  I hate using Microstation and some of our clients require AutoCAD.

Message 17 of 25
rkmcswain

@lvthunder wrote:

Got to love the attitude of the faithful.  The product we love is perfect anyone who revels its flaws should just go away.

So instead of holding their feet to the fire and pushing them to improve you think I should just bail?  There are only two problems with that.  I hate using Microstation and some of our clients require AutoCAD.

No software application is perfect. C3D is far from it. I've pointed out many bugs here in the Autodesk forums, on my website, and on other forums, and reported them to Autodesk. Are they all fixed? No. Do I have to use this software to do my job daily? Yes.   So I live with it and go on.  

Complaining that Civil 3D doesn't work on a bleeding edge O/S that didn't even exist when C3D was coded isn't really fair. C3D is a tad more complex than Word or Photoshop.  It's not like this is new. We had the same issues each time a new Windows O/S has been released (Win 2k, WinXP, Win7x64, etc)

As was stated earlier (I don't remember if it was this thread or not) -- standard operating procedure is to choose the applications you need and _then_ find the hardware and O/S those apps run on. Not the other way around. 

Message 18 of 25
wfberry
in reply to: rkmcswain

Very Good R.K.:

Perhaps we can put this thread to rest.

Bill

Message 19 of 25
lsssurvey
in reply to: wfberry

I've read all the posts, especially those that seem to have 2013 running under Win 8 with no problems. So I figured it must be me. I re-installed Win 8, re-installed Civil3D 2013 64-bit with SP1 and tried it again. Still crashing after less than 60 seconds. I tried disconnecting one of my two screens, as someone had suggested, but still crashing. I've never experienced such immediate crashing of any program, hence I thought there was a bad installation. Perhaps its my hardware. These are my specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65

Processor: Core i5 3570K

Memory: 16GB Corsair

Video Card: Asus HD 7870

SSD Drive: Samsung 830 256GB

O/S: Windows 8 Pro

Tom

Tom
Message 20 of 25
lvthunder

I think it has to deal with what Civil 3D objects are in your drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report