Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D switches between open dwg's without human interaction

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jmayo-EE
820 Views, 12 Replies

C3D switches between open dwg's without human interaction

Anyone see this? Two or more files open in a session. Save the cuurent file and one of the other opened files becomes the current file. If I use the CTL+TAB buttons to move between the files the file I choose to be cuurent gets sent to the back and another file becomes current.

I had this issue in 2012 out of the box but it seems to occur much more frequently with the latest service pack installed.

John Mayo

EESignature

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jeff_M
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Yep, drives me nuts. It does this when manually sync'ing Drefs as well.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Jeff_M

Have you seen a change in this with the latest SP?

Have you made any attempt to log the defect?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
Jeff_M

It seems like it is occurring more recently, yes. (i.e. since installing sp2.1).

No, I've not logged it. This was a minor annoyance compared to the other issues I was reporting.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 13
Craig.Tomlinson
in reply to: Jeff_M

This usually happens to me when I have multiple 3 or more drawing open in 1 session. After a few hours saving a drawing can swap me to a different drawing. All i can say is contol tab is your friend.

Message 6 of 13
rdlongbow
in reply to: Craig.Tomlinson

Is Toolspace open when this happens to you? If so, close it. Makes Ctrl-Tabbing between drawings faster too.

Message 7 of 13
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I used to have this issue and I read about closing my Layers dialog box.  Worked for me!

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 8 of 13
MikeEvansUK

All, I have also has this issue since R2013 RC. It seems to happen when an open drawing Auto Saves, the application will switch to the saving document.

It does seem to be more occurant when one or more open files have Drefs within although the drawing it switches to does not nessesarily contain them as I have seen this with blank drawings in the background.

I don't use the New layer dialogue I use the old one so I suggest that it is not that causing it.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 9 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Closing the layer man, toolspace, xref man & props dialog seems to fix a lot of issues. I really wish they would fix the dialogs that continue to introduce these issues. 🙂

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
jmayo-EE

Just want to clarify Craig's post. It appears (so far) that if you CTL+Tab to switch files a new dwg will not be made current if you continue to hold the CTL key during the process.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
Sinc

I typically keep Toolspace, Properties, SSM, Layer Manager, and XREF Manager docked to the left side of my monitor, and set to auto-hide.  I don't like to constantly open and close them (although Toolspace often disappears for no apparant reason, and I have to reopen it).

So when I get the "switch", I just switch back to the other drawing, using the "Quick View Drawings" setting in the Status Bar.  It's annoying, but not as annoying as constantly opening and closing the Palettes that I use the most.

Sinc
Message 12 of 13
Craig.Tomlinson
in reply to: Sinc

I run dual monitors and keep toolspace, tool pallet docked to the left and porperties, sheetset manager, xref docked on my second screen along with the layer maager. All of them are minimized to an icon or bar. After reading a post about different bars causing the active drawing to be swapped around I decided to close all my windows. I use 2 instances of civil 3d at a time and usually have at least 3 drawings open. I have not had a problem with my active drawing swapping around. I think it comes down to a personal decision. The convenience of having my windows active but auto-hidden or the annoyance of the active drawing changing. Oh and with the windows closed civil 3d responds much faster which makes sence.

Craig

Message 13 of 13
troma
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

(although Toolspace often disappears for no apparant reason, and I have to reopen it).

My toolspace disappears when I do a plot preview.  Is that what's happening to you?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report