Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D properties to Point Cloud

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
enpope
522 Views, 2 Replies

C3D properties to Point Cloud

When I add Civil 3D Properties to an attached point cloud, the point cloud is moved to a new location and elevation. On further examination it appears that the x and y values are reversed. If I remove the civil properties the cloud returns to the correct location. Anyone else experienced this problem are have any suggestions as to what may be causing the problem?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sfore
in reply to: enpope

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed?  Did you assign a coordinate system in the drawing under drawing settings?  Did you assign the same coordinate system to the point cloud upon bringing it in through the Point Cloud Dialog?  Where are your point cloud database files stored and are they stored with coords assigned.  I've only created point clouds from .las and .adf files.  When you bring them in through point clouds, (3) files are created such as .iati, .isd, .prmd.

I just brought in a point cloud, removed Civil 3D properties and then re-added Civil 3D properties and point cloud remained in the same position.

Shawn

Message 3 of 3
enpope
in reply to: sfore

Thanks for your reply.

I was mistaken about the x and y values being revered. The problem is that the attached PCG file was indexed from a registered Faro fws scan file, and even though the file was registered to State Plane US feet coordinates the native units of the fws file are meters by default . As a result the PCG file must be set to a scale factor of 3.2808 to convert back to feet when attached to the C3D drawing. Apparently C3D ignores the scale factor when you run the routine to add Civil 3D properties to the attached point cloud. This results in the cloud coordinates reverting back to meters. Unfortunately once the Civil 3D properties are added, it want allow you to scale the cloud data back to feet. Changing the assigned coordinates or insert units settings have no effect.

Neal

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report