Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D Data Shortcuts

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
SeattleCADD
742 Views, 10 Replies

C3D Data Shortcuts

Hello All,

I am working with a goverment agency and we have hired two cosultants to work on a projects. They are using data shortcuts for surfaces, alignments and pipe networks. When they delivered C3D files to us get our reviews, (they burned the dwgs on the CD) all surfaces and alignments are broken. 

My question is:

1) How do I repair those broken C3D objects?

2) What should i request the consultants to provide us so that when I open these drawings at my end, the surfaces are not broken.

Thank you very much! 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rawhite71
in reply to: SeattleCADD

SeatlleCAD,

Sounds like they are using Microstation and exporting out as C3D. But if not, tell them to export a DEM. This might help you on your end when you import.

Message 3 of 11
Jay_B

If they supplied the _Shortcuts folder, you should be able to set your Data Shortcuts working folder to the folder directly above _Shortcuts. If they didn't provide it ask for it.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 4 of 11
troma

Is this a review of drawings prior to construction? Or is it a submission of as-constructed drawings? If the latter, I would tell them to Export to Acad, so you get a 'dumb' CAD drawing for archiving.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 11
SeattleCADD

It is a 60% review at this time. But almost Civil drawings are missing surfaces, alignments, and pipe networks. I don't want to tell them to export all the reference drawings. It will make a lots works for them.

If I request them to sent us their shortcut directory structure, and set up exactly at my end, Will data shortcuts be fixed when opening a drawing?

2) What do you recommend when we receive final drawings?

Thanks a bunch!

Message 6 of 11
Jay_B

Caveats may apply depending on how they are setup, but generally speaking if the shortcuts work fine on their end, they have a clean workflow (all C3d source dwgs in 1 folder) etc. you should be fine just mapping the _shortcuts folder AFAIK. I copy projects off out of office servers here locally quite often and the Data shortcuts come through just fine once mapped. 

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 11
troma

Did they send you the source drawings? If so, when you open the host drawing and you get the error, you should be able to choose the 'fix' option and just point it to the right place.

If they send you the shortcuts directory too it is probably best. Have you tried the standalone program "Data Shortcuts Editor"? It gets installed with C3D. You can do a find & replace for the folder structure or drawing name to map to the right location. Nice little application.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 11
SeattleCADD

Thank you very much for your help!

How to download this Data shortcuts editor? I have standalone C3D 2012.

Message 9 of 11
Jay_B

It should be installed.
Start>All Programs>AutoDesk>Civil 3d XXXX>Data Shortcuts Editor.
I would only use this utility if you first determine you have a mapping issue with Data Shortcuts after you get the working folder properly set, etc.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 11
mathewkol

If you ask them to etransmit all of their files and select the "Place files in one folder" option, there should be no mapping required.  If so, then use the data shortcuts edittor found in thw windows Start menu.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 11 of 11
AllenJessup

We require the CAD drawings (often not C3D because a lot of consultants use Microstation), a PDF of the full set and a hard copy for the files. We often have an item for the consultant to produce all the hard copy to be used on the job.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report