Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3d 2015 - Pressure pipe follow surface and Data shortcut

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
pne123
3095 Views, 19 Replies

C3d 2015 - Pressure pipe follow surface and Data shortcut

I have designed a pressure pipe network using "follow surface" in the profile. It works well but when I data shortcut the network into another file and create a profile the segemented pipe is not shown.  The pipe is represented as a solid pipe straight from end to end.  Is there a work around for this?  Anyone else find this glitch? Or am I doing somethign wrong?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Jay_B
in reply to: pne123

Sounds alot like the Same behavior reported Here in 2014 .

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 20
clicker10

Same problem here.  No known work around.  I had to draw my entire 23,000 lf of forcemain in the same drawing as the sheets used to cut profiles.  Talked to Autodesk and our reseller.  They didn't know what I was talking about.

Message 4 of 20
pne123
in reply to: clicker10

There is a work around. I created a another pressure pipe network in my design file. Data short cut into my deliverable. I just used a single piece of pipe at zero elev so it does not show in my profile. Promote this network into your deliverable. Now you have a network that resides in every sheet drawing. Draw this pipe and your design in the profile. Once you select the promoted pipe the ribbon will change to edit pipe network. Select edit network in profile. Now the ribbon will show "pipe follow surface" and you can select your data set pipes. And they will follow the surface. If you need to do it again just select the resident pipe and do it over. If you want to remove the follow surface delete the pipe in plan, re-sync your pipe network and redraw in profile. Actual it works pretty well. You just need to make sure your pipe ends are at the correct elevation. I hOpe this make since. It is Saturday and I am not in front of my machine.
Message 5 of 20
f_bobadilla

Good work around, but this should not be intended to work like this.  Kind of frustrating Autodesk ignores these issues.  The main purpose of DS is so that they are dynamic.  I have a project where I designed a pipe line and it follows the surface for the most part, but there are instances where the pipe goes over or under existing utilities and it seems like I have to go back and do this manually on those individual sheets.

Message 6 of 20
pne123
in reply to: f_bobadilla

I create an additional profile called "pipe cover" which will be the top of pipe.  I design it with min. cover, vert curves and any pipe crossings.  I then create a corridor using a basic flat lane to create a dynamic surface from the cover profile.  I use this surface when I apply "follow surface".  The pipe follows my design and not the surface. 

Message 7 of 20
mjung

Another workaround is to edit the pipe in profile and use the "Break Pipe" at each of the nodes that is added from the "Follow Surface" command. Not an ideal sulution if you have alot of pipes that follow the surface. But until they fix the Data Shortcut issue this can be done without having to create another pipe in your production plans. If you have already added the original pipes in the production profile then you will need to add all the new pipes after breaking and synchronizing.

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 8 of 20
mauserp08

Good Morning pne123,

I just found your work around to get the data referenced pressure pipe network to follow the surface. Well I could not get this to work. I followed the steps you gave us but when I select the follow surface button I get the following message. I am running this in Civil 3D 2015.

_AeccFollowSurfaceInPV
Select a valid reference surface to follow

I have all my surfaces and alignments data referenced into my deliverable so I am at a loss as to what it is asking. Have you come across this before? Does this work around still work for you? Have you found a better way to take care of this problem?

I hope you don't mind so many questions. Thanks.

Message 9 of 20
pne123
in reply to: mauserp08

Yes this still works.  

THe command will ask for distance below surface but doesn't let you pick the surface. You have to make sure the surface you want to follow is set in the ribbon.

Message 10 of 20
mauserp08

It worked. I found I had a problem with my original surface that I had to fix. Thank you for you help with this.

Message 11 of 20
pne123
in reply to: mauserp08

Is the continuous line representing a surface you have created?  Or is it just a line.

I create a design profile that I want my pipe to follow.  I used that profile to create a simple corridor.  I create a surface from the corridor and that is the surface I have my pipe follow.

If my pipe is under a new or exst road i can usually follow that surface with minor adjustments but lately our pipeline jobs have been all crosscountry so I came up with that work flow.

Message 12 of 20
mauserp08

The line is a surface proflie for use on my band set and is supposed to follow the top of pipe. I found that I had a problem with my surface that needed to be fixed. Once I did that your solution worked as advertised. I will keep in mind the work flow using the simple corridor. I think that will come in handy on a project I have coming up.

Message 13 of 20
JEFFYEARY7710

Anyone know if this issue is actually fixed and functions as it's supposed to in C3D 2016?  Dealing with this same issue right now (pipe set to 'follow surface' in design file, but displays as a straight pipe in any drawing file the pressure pipe network is data referenced into). Any info greatly appreciated.

Message 14 of 20
pne123
in reply to: JEFFYEARY7710

Nope,  still need to follow the workaround and I am on 2017.

Message 15 of 20
JEFFYEARY7710

Thanks for the quick reply, sorry to hear it's still an issue in v2017 : )    I'm trying your workaround for the first time, thanks for that suggestion (update; works quite well, thanks!)

Message 16 of 20
b.balser

I'm seeing this in 2020 5.2... easiest workaround around has been to force a resynchronization by changing the name in the design drawing or something similiar.. I'm not attaching files, as it seems to be an old issue and it's easily recreateable.. create a pressure network, use the follow surface profile layout modification, data ref it into a production sheet..  more often than not (for us) it comes in the first time as one long pipe, without segments or any vertical edits.

However, if the name is changed on the original, then the shortcut is updated, (and then the DR is synchronized), not only does the name change, but it correctly reflects the follow surface. 

Was hoping to post to see if anyone else could confirm, before I found this four year old post describing pretty much the same thing... 

Message 17 of 20
pne123
in reply to: b.balser

I will try this next time we have this issue.  I have found there are issues if your pipe is a long arc and you also have vertical curves in your surface. The compound curves seem to cause issues.  To help with this we use shorter multiple pipes in the alignment arc segments.  

Message 18 of 20
b.balser

Just a heads up - in working with Autodesk support this has been tagged as a known issue and I'm told it is no longer a problem in 2021.2. I haven't had an opportunity to confirm myself yet, but wanted to pass that along in case someone else runs into the same thing.

Message 19 of 20
pne123
in reply to: b.balser

Interesting.  I am using 2012.2 and have not run across this issue yet so maybe it has been fixed but in long arced pipe in plan that also has vertical curves a new issues has come up.  the pipe will go straight in plan.  The pipe will no longer be curved on the alignment but straight from tangent to tangent.  Again to fix this we use short segments.  It appears they may have fixed one problem but created another....

Message 20 of 20
b.balser

Unfortunately, I can't say that's probably the first time that has happened... 

Thank you for the follow up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report