AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Mentor
autoMick
Message 21 of 141 (750 Views)

Re: C3D 2015 - List of Current Bugs/Issues

05-06-2014 02:21 PM in reply to: fcernst

...."Involving the basic essence of functionality for GEOMAP...now broken with the new release. The ability to simply place the map over your project coordinates. "

What? they broke it? I thought one of the new 'features' was that images could be grabbed for plotting/offline use? Could you please explain what's not working now?

Seems to me that the new bug list is longer than the new feature list for 2015.

Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2015 SP1
Self-built i7-3930K, 16Gb RAM, P9X79 m/board
SSD(system), HDD(data), Win7Pro64, Quadro K4000 (and another with GTX680)
Valued Mentor
engrtech
Message 22 of 141 (718 Views)

05-07-2014 10:41 AM in reply to: engrtech

engrtech wrote:

15. Unconfirmed - Parking Tools dynamic blocks can't be inserted or edited from the tool palettes window as they aren't in the correct folder. The paths are pointing to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\Sample\Dynamic Blocks\ and they are installed in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\C3D\Sample\Dynamic Blocks

This has now been confirmed to me by Autodesk. It seems to affect IDSP and not IDSU. Not sure about other installers, but the IDSP installer installs to the C3D subfolder when it's not supposed to. 

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
Mentor
odoshi
Message 23 of 141 (712 Views)

05-07-2014 12:35 PM in reply to: engrtech

Right Click Alignment in Model Space, Civil 3D locks up.

Scratch that. If I right click ANYTHING, C3D is locked. Let me re-install and get back to you.

Mike

www.civil3d.guru
-------------------------------------------
Rockin' Civil 3D 2015 on a 13-inch MacBook Air | Intel i5 | 4GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel HD5000
Employee
dsimeone
Message 24 of 141 (704 Views)

05-07-2014 12:54 PM in reply to: autoMick

...."Involving the basic essence of functionality for GEOMAP...now broken with the new release. The ability to simply place the map over your project coordinates. "

I've not seen any issues with the command not working. To confirm - you're talking about the geolocation tool. There are a bunch of changes with the feature so maybe there's confusion with the new behavior.

1. If working in a coordinate system, you simply need to turn the Map  "on (display aerial, street, hybrid). Provided you're zoomed somewhere in the area, you'll see the map displayed.
  2. If you're not in a coordinate system you can opt to place the map on some location in your drawing (aka, correlate corner of a building in the image with corner of building in your drawing).

In both cases, you now also have the ability to archive a view of the image for plotting and archival. You can also refresh the image and stretch the image boudary to add more/less data.

Thanks

Dave Simeone

Senior Product Manager - AutoCAD Civil 3D

Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 25 of 141 (697 Views)

05-07-2014 01:14 PM in reply to: dsimeone

If you're not in a coordinate system you can opt to place the map on some location in your drawing (aka, correlate corner of a building in the image with corner of building in your drawing).

Right. 

Now Save and Close the drawing and go to lunch. Come back, open the drawing and the drawing doesn't execute the map placement at your geographic location....

Start the geographic location workflow all over again every time you have to close the drawing.

This is the defect I confirmed with Support in Case ID: 09515281

If this is a new feature, please change it back.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Valued Mentor
engrtech
Message 26 of 141 (647 Views)

05-08-2014 06:50 AM in reply to: engrtech

16. Confirmed Defect - Median subassembly not crossing baseline

17. Confirmed Defect - GEOMAP manual location not remembering place after save and close

18. Confirmed Defect - Pipe network style through a data shortcut not remembering it's style on sync

19. Confirmed Defect - Intersection object not working with corridor profiles

This list is getting pretty long. It's much longer than any of the new features that have been added. This has been the worst release since I've been using AutoCAD and Softdesk in 1997. 

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
Active Contributor
Kevin.Spear
Message 27 of 141 (627 Views)

05-08-2014 10:08 AM in reply to: engrtech

I'm not sure why we need to use torches and pitchforks in our comments. What purpose does it serve other than allowing a moment to vent publicly?

Just curious...

Kevin

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Synergis Engineering Design Solutions
Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 28 of 141 (619 Views)

05-08-2014 10:29 AM in reply to: Kevin.Spear

People are obviously upset because they are not feeling they are getting value out of their Subscription financial commitment. Autodesk needs to hear this.

I'm sure as a Vendor you're concerned about sales now watching these defects roll in...

You are a Beta tester I believe also from our previous threads. Help me understand what is going wrong in the quality control testing communication loop with the Civil 3D team? 

Are you finding and logging these defects and they are simply being ignored?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Active Contributor
Kevin.Spear
Message 29 of 141 (608 Views)

05-08-2014 10:48 AM in reply to: fcernst

Hi Fred. I totally understand the frustration of purchasing a toolset and it not functioning as advertised, or even as previously experienced. Yes, i do work for an autodesk reseller.

I can tell you that there is a dedicated sales team that is highly concerned with that aspect. I am not on that team. My charge it to get firms and the software on the same page, regardless of marketing, etc. So, the number of defects aren't a financial concern for me. Our relationship with our clients have always been to help them regardless of the roadblocks they find, even if they relate to the various bugs being discussed.

You are correct, i am also a beta tester. With the given cycles of development, most beta testing is at the Nth hour. So, the opportunity here is to dot all the i's and cross the t's. As much as i can't tell you, the point in using the wider community as beta testers is not to find new issues but to evaluate the new release based on the new improvements AND also to evalute a project you might have in the new release. I know some folks do maintain a rolling list of problems and also evaluate those in the new release. We do have 2 avenues to communcate with the Autodesk team; we can log DEFECTS as well as possible FEATURE REQUESTS. Those go through a similar vetting process as technical support requests you may submit.

Am i personally finding these defects? NO, but when i do, they do get logged as metioned above. It's kind of the chicken or egg scenario. I won't fully test the new release until i put in production. But, i dont want to put it production until i find a majority of the bugs. That is why most firms wait to roll out the new release AFTER the first service pack issued.

I think we need to understand that even a product as evolved a car will have recall notices. When new houses are sold, there are various steps the builder goes through over the course of a year or years AFTER it's sold to make sure the house is in working order. For me, Civil 3D falls somewhere between the simplicity of a stick built house and a complex automobile. Should my expectations for civil 3d exceed those for a house or car? By the way, both of those are more expensive than civil 3d. 

I am sure we can continue this conversation without hijacking the thread....  :smileyhappy:

Kevin

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin Spear, PE
Synergis Engineering Design Solutions
Mentor
sfore
Message 30 of 141 (607 Views)

05-08-2014 10:50 AM in reply to: Kevin.Spear

You're probably right, but why does it matter.  Being civil, using torches, using pitchforks, following help ticket protocol...seems none of it works to get resolution and a stable working new release.  Trust me, I've been a user and supporter of civil 3d since it came out in 2005-2006.  I've sold it to hundreds of users without getting a dime from Autodesk.  We just want things that once worked to continue working in new relesases.  I spend an enormous amount of time diagnosing problems every release. 

point cloud issue case in point (page 2 at end has my reply saying finally fixed) http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/2011-vs-2013-point-cloud-colors/td-p/3682862   (I never received notice from autodesk on this.  I found it myself.)

Here's another gripe that I'm sure is shared.  It was from 2010.  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/question-for-autodesk/td-p/2724605

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.