Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2015 Geolocation ISSUES

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
sfore
1936 Views, 12 Replies

C3D 2015 Geolocation ISSUES

Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue with C3D 2015 Geolocation and Bing Maps?  My Coords for a particular area on the map change when I close down and reopen.

To test, I created a drawing, set coords and brought in state plane sid aerials for Charleston WV and hovered over a particular area (center of football field), wrote down coords for comparison for next drawing. 

I then created another drawing, set coords under drawing settings so the tab for Geolocation would appear then proceeded to bring in Bing map of the same area thru 'Edit location-from map', pan and zoom to area then right clicked to move marker, clicked next, verified state plane coords and clicked finish.  The map appeared but when I hovered over same area (center of football field), coords were WAY different.  I even traced the football field to copy 0,0,0 and then pasted it in my first drawing that I know is state plane.  It landed way off target....thousands of feet off.  I closed drawing and reopened and the traced line was no longer on the football field, but if I pan to the football field the coords now read correctly when hovering in center of field as what the first drawing coords read. 

So I open first drawing, traced football field, copied 0,0,0 and pasted in second drawing that contains bing map and it landed in correct place.  Why?

BTW - I also tried a different way in a third drawing.  Rather than clicking on 'Edit location-from map' to bring in Bing map, I clicked on Insert tab and proceeded to bring in Bing Map thru 'Set Location-from map'.  the same result happened.  It appeared wrong at first, but when I close down drawing and reopen, its in correct location.

I have SP2 installed.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: sfore

Search the forum for Bing Maps and you'll see a lot of threads like THIS one.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
sfore
in reply to: AllenJessup

I saw that post.  Thanks.  I re-read it and it makes sense, sorta.  I don't ever mess inside the Transformation Tab so I don't fully understand it.

See pic.  I attached this comparison in case someone may uncover something.  I'm clueless at this point.

Top image: Transformation settings with only the state plane (.sid) aerial inside drawing. 

Bottom image: Transformation settings with state plane (.sid) Aerial and Bing Aerial image.  Numbers are different.  Bing image was brought in using 'Edit Location-from map' on Geolocation tab.  The light aerial is sid and dark aerial is bing.  Notice the river on right of bottom image - it doesn't match.

If I save and close then reopen, walaa, the Bing map is in correct location and river matches with the .sid.

Note: I did try what the other thread mentioned which was simply turning on the 'Map Aerial' without trying to 'Set Location' or 'Edit Location'.  I did this because I already had something on screen that was in state plane coords which was the .sid Aerial.  Bing came in correctly.

So I conclude that something is whacked with the Geolocation tools and if I want Bing Maps to come in correctly then I need to have survey data or some other graphic already setup in state plane coords inside drawing OR go ahead and bring Bing maps in with Coords set, save, close and reopen.  

Message 4 of 13
sboon

When you set the coordinate zone the Map system is apparently trying to be helpful.  As far as I can tell what it does is place the Geolocation marker, based on which system you set.  Since you didn't actually provide a coordinate for the marker the software places it at the center of the zone.  The local values shown in your top pic are the grid values for that center point, and the bottom values are the Lat and Long for the same location.  As far as Map is concerned those two coordinate sets are the same.

In the real world however what you have is mixed units.  Lat and Long values represent measurements on a sphere and should NEVER be used inside of an ACad drawing which is based on Cartesian coordinates.  What you're probably gettng is a Bing image shifted by:

427888.902 - 38.175 = 427850.727' south

612411.153 + 80.858 = 612792.011' west

Try copying the local values into the grid ones, and set the grid rotation to zero.  If I'm right the Bing image should jump to the correct location.  If it doesn't work then try switching the transformation tab on or off and regenerating.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 13
fcernst

...Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue with C3D 2015 Geolocation and Bing Maps?  My Coords for a particular area on the map change when I close down and reopen...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/confirmed-defect-edit-geolocation-not-saved/m...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 13
sfore
in reply to: sboon

I'm trying to understand what you're saying so I can try what you suggested.

Where did you get 612411.153 from?

What do you mean "...grid ones"?

Message 7 of 13
wfberry

Just a note of what I do.

1. Set a couple of points points in the field and get coordinates from OPUS.

2.  Topo Using these coord values for my state plane.

3.  My template is already set for my State Plane.

4.  Import my points from my DC into drawing.

Turn on Bing Map,  Wait about 30 seconds (maybe).

Picture comes strolling in.

Bill

Message 8 of 13
sfore
in reply to: sboon

Regarding my initial response to you.  I understand "....grid ones" now, just an oversight on my part.  I still don't understand where you got 612411.153 from.

Anyways, I did what you suggested.  See pic.

I copied Local Northing-Easting to Grid Northin-Easting and specified 0 on grid rotation angle, 'REA' and walaa, Bing Map shifted to correct position as what State Plane .sid aerial file is at.

I also tried it another way by copying Grid Northing-Easting to Local Northing-Easting and specified 0 on grid rotation angle and it also worked.

I don't quite understand why it worked both ways.  Also, I don't understand why it works if I simply close down and reopen drawing.

Just hovering over the center of the field, my coords are as follows:

N - 486846.0732

E - 1780240.0408

If you notice, the bottom image coords in new attachment are more closely related to these.

Message 9 of 13
sboon

I still don't understand where you got 612411.153 from.

That was me cut and pasting from the wrong dialog box, sorry about that.

I don't quite understand why it worked both ways.  Also, I don't understand why it works if I simply close down and reopen drawing.

In this case the values appear to be used only to apply a translation to the Bing image.  I've seen it work with all zeros in both local and grid values.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 13
FeLangsr
in reply to: wfberry

I am new at a company where they use this OPUS step you are refering too, can you elaborate on what you are describing here?

I have the points they received from Opus and have created them using the NE and elevations they describe, how does this help me import the text file into the correction location?

Message 11 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: FeLangsr

OPUS is simply an online post processing tool. Post processing takes uncorrected GPS locations and refines them using satellite position variances recorded at the time the shots were taken. If you're using coordinates from an OPUS adjustment. The points you imported should be in the correct system and anything else in that system should overlay them.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
Pointdump
in reply to: FeLangsr

FL,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community.

An OPUS Solution Report gives both Geographic Coordinates (Lats and Longs in degrees) and Projected Coordinates (State Plane Feet or Meters). You'll need to make sure that you have assigned (MAPCSASSIGN) a coordinate system to your drawing that matches the coordinate system of your points, and the Point File Format you use to import your points will need to match the text file or CSV.

Can you elaborate a little on where you're having problems?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 13 of 13
FeLangsr
in reply to: Pointdump

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, been busy with the new job.

I don’t have a problem so much with the translation and rotation at this point, its more trying to use the line work from the field book file as line work in the CAD drawing after I have imported the FBK file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report