AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
scottchang
Message 11 of 16 (108 Views)

Re: C3D 2014: Process linework during import-all points are linked!?

03-19-2014 08:09 AM in reply to: david.zavislan

Hi  David,  Thanks for your response.

Under the Settings tab of the Toolspace, I right-click on Point Styles and get "New" and "Refresh" only, no "Edit" for me to proceed - see the attached jpg file for the Point Styles of Settings tab in my Toolspace that has my FTMN7pt2depth4corner-6Final_good-PtNos.dwg.  Please help me, tell me where I made mistakes and advise again.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang

scottchang
Message 12 of 16 (108 Views)

03-19-2014 08:09 AM in reply to: david.zavislan

Hi  David,  Thanks for your response.

Under the Settings tab of the Toolspace, I right-click on Point Styles and get "New" and "Refresh" only, no "Edit" for me to proceed - see the attached jpg file for the Point Styles of Settings tab in my Toolspace that has my FTMN7pt2depth4corner-6Final_good-PtNos.dwg.  Please help me, tell me where I made mistakes and advise again.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang

Mentor
cbaildon001
Message 13 of 16 (87 Views)

03-19-2014 03:47 PM in reply to: scottchang

Hi Scott

You need to right-click on the actual point style being used.

Edit point style.jpg

In your case it looks like there are only 3 possibilities for you points - Basic, STA or Tree, because the little yellow triangle shows they are being referenced somewhere.

To find out what style your points are using select one and go to its properties (Ctrl+1) and it will list it under Information.

Cheers

Caleb Baildon
Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Greymouth, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows7 64bit
scottchang
Message 14 of 16 (77 Views)

03-20-2014 06:27 AM in reply to: cbaildon001

Hi Caleb, Thank you very much for your wonderful, valuable response.

(1) I followed your nice instructions to find out that my points are "BASIC" shown in the "Information" of FtMcNair7pts2depths4corners-C3d-boundaryFinal (in Point Groups). In the 2D-Wireframe, I followed the David Z.instructions to do the "View Direction: Model", "Component display: Marker and Label: Visible (light bulb 'ON')" for Display, and 3D Geometry - Point Display Mode: Use Point Elevation for 3D Geometry. Then I applied the "Orbit" command to all the points (including the 3-point-pairs of the same XY-different Z/Elevation) in the 3D Wireframe. It works nicely: I can print and save the "desired", "points with separeted-depths" DWG that wasin the 3D Wireframe!!!  Thanks again for your wonderful, valuable instructions to get this difficult DWG for the points with the same XY-different Z/Elevation.

(2) New Questions:

(i) In the PNEZD format for the points with the same XY - different Z/Elevation & Linework Code Set/(Figure Prefix), can I add more columns of Decriptions as the "ArcGIS-like Attribute Tables" for chemical data of metals or organic compounds?

I know that the AutoCAD Civil 3D program is designed for civil engineering. Several months ago, I started learning AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 in importing the points with the unique XYZ values (i. e. not the same XY-different Z) and no Linework Code Set/(Figure Prefix) in the Description of PNEZD fomat, some C3D experts said that I can have several Description columns for the points with the unique XYZ in the PNEZD format to show the chemical data I want to present. Question: Can I do this "several Description columns" thing for the points with the same XY-different Z and Linework Code Set/(Figure Prefix) in the Description column?

(ii) What is the difference between the Raw Description and the Total Description used the PNEZD format?

Caleb and C3D experts, please kindly help, answer the 2 questions in (2), and respond again.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang      

Mentor
cbaildon001
Message 15 of 16 (66 Views)

03-20-2014 12:29 PM in reply to: scottchang

Hi Scott

Good on you for getting into Civil3D and trying to figure out how things work, the survey database is not greatest bit of software.

I would suggest that you pose new questions in new posts. That way it will be easy for others to find the answer if they have the same question and also easier for those who want to help to see posts that they may be able to resolve. (I wouldn't mind if you posted a link at the end of one post to another post.)

Without going into detail:

1. User Defined Properties can be setup for any number for extra attributes. Then setup point file formats that include columns with these UDP's to import points. Label styles can then reference these UDPs. Getting these through the survey database is a bit trickier, but probably unnecessary for jobs with very little linework (I'm still figuring out the intricacies of this one).

2. Raw Description = what is recorded in the data to import into Civil3D. Full Description = the raw description can be translated into more meaningful text strings as set in the description key set. There are plenty of posts and blogs and help files on this around.

Cheers

Caleb Baildon
Surveyor
Greymouth, New Zealand
Mentor
cbaildon001
Message 16 of 16 (63 Views)

03-20-2014 12:31 PM in reply to: cbaildon001

I see you have already posted one of these questions.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/C3D-2013-Can-I-add-more-Point-Attribute-Items...

Caleb Baildon
Surveyor
Greymouth, New Zealand
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.