Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
sfore
1244 Views, 22 Replies

C3D 2013

Can anyone provide any feedback on when C3D 2013 will be out?

Thanks, Shawn

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
JeffPaulsen
in reply to: sfore

The canned answer:

Know one who knows can tell you but based on past history it will be out in April.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 3 of 23
thepworth
in reply to: sfore

Better question - when will 2013 Service Pack 1 be out - that's when I might start looking at it 😉

Message 4 of 23
BrianHailey
in reply to: thepworth

@thepworth wrote:

Better question - when will 2013 Service Pack 1 be out - that's when I might start looking at it 😉

Most likely some time after 2013 comes out, but that's just a guess... Smiley Very Happy

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 23
neilyj666
in reply to: BrianHailey

I've just got 2012 set up the way I like it.......why don't they release C3D2013 as Service Pack 2 for C3D 2012 rather than a new version.....and I'll bet the dwg version has changed (based on the 3 year cycle) so more compatibility issues....the vicious circle just grows and grows....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 23
DarrenP
in reply to: neilyj666

they have released info on Autocad 2013 nothing on Civil 3d 2013 yet: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2012/Autocad-2013/td-p/3345301

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 23
Sinc

@neilyj666 wrote:

I've just got 2012 set up the way I like it.......why don't they release C3D2013 as Service Pack 2 for C3D 2012 rather than a new version.....and I'll bet the dwg version has changed (based on the 3 year cycle) so more compatibility issues....the vicious circle just grows and grows....

Exactly.  There is no reason for yearly incomaptible releases.  I say that as not only an ADN developer, but also as an end-user of C3D.  It is very destructive to the whole impression created for end-users get of C3D.  Not to mention, it creates worlds of hurt for us as ADN developers, with no significant gain over a better SP.

Sinc
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Sinc

Agreed.  It also makes teaming with multiple firms a huge PITA!!!  As well as delivering CDs to government agencies....

Message 9 of 23
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

2013 is indeed a new file format per this blog:

http://www.jtbworld.com/autocad2013.htm

One has to wonder: is the new file format necessary to support new capabilities or is it a mechanism for generating revenue? Also how can Autodesk expect government agencies to adopt their product given the ever changing file format and the version compatability issues?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 10 of 23
Jeff_M
in reply to: Neilw_05

The file format has changed every 3 releases for a long time now (24+ years?) so don't count on that changing anytime soon. From what I recall being told by our reseller back in the late 80's, the biggest reason was to prevent reverse engineering efforts by competitors. Another was to be able to take advantage of newer hardware.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 23
AllenJessup
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:

Another was to be able to take advantage of newer hardware.

You mean like multi-core processors?Smiley LOL

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 23
AllenJessup
in reply to: Neilw_05

I knew the time would come where they would start messing with the command line. Probably managed to break that finally! The one thing that's remained fairly constant over the years.Smiley Sad

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 13 of 23
neilyj666
in reply to: AllenJessup

The Command Line "enhancements" look like the most interesting thing about the 2013 vanilla ACAD release.....or the latest 2012 service pack as it's unofficially known..Smiley Wink

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 14 of 23
AllenJessup

There's supposedly an old Chinese curse. "May you live in interesting times."

I'm not against progress. I add my wishes to the list. Strike-through text was one of them. But I've been relying on the command line for years and don't want to see it broken just for some new flashy GUI.

It may be a useful improvement. I won't know until I've used it. Since we're still on 2011 it may be a while.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 15 of 23
sturner7277
in reply to: AllenJessup

my wish is for them to make it more stable.

-Sean
------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a CAD Manager for a Civil Engineering firm...
Message 16 of 23
neilyj666
in reply to: sturner7277

@Anonymous wrote:

my wish is for them to make it more stable.

Yep....that'd be a good one.....I suspect that won't be happening any time soonSmiley Frustrated

EESignature

Message 17 of 23
thepworth

Ayup.  Concur.

Maybe instead of Jaws they should name it Gamma - past Beta testing, but still testing Smiley Mad

Message 18 of 23

Being an "attitude is everything guy"...

I look forward to giving it a test drive in a few months.  Yes, Autodesk changes file formats every 3 years but the only constant in life is change.  If you are a CAD manager, this should be one of the challenges you look forward to.  Adapting your system to incorporate new (usually better) tools is what put most of us in the position we are in.

Will it all work?  No, but neither do all of us all the time! Smiley LOL

Patience and understanding.  It will have glitches.  You may want to wait until 2014 SP1 (if you can) when they really work all the kinks out (like a car, the 1st model year tends to be a little rough around the edges).  But don't throw this one out yet.

I still find it fascinating that so many of you have already judged the software when you have absolutely no info on it.  If you say it won't work now, you and your ego will find a way to make it not work when it comes out in an effort to make yourself look like a prophet of some sort.  Well, frankly my company wants "profits", not "prophets" and attitude helps dictate that.

My 2 cents...

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10
Message 19 of 23

@TonyLeggieri3279 wrote:

Being an "attitude is everything guy"...

I look forward to giving it a test drive in a few months.  Yes, Autodesk changes file formats every 3 years but the only constant in life is change.  If you are a CAD manager, this should be one of the challenges you look forward to.  Adapting your system to incorporate new (usually better) tools is what put most of us in the position we are in.

Will it all work?  No, but neither do all of us all the time! Smiley LOL

Patience and understanding.  It will have glitches.  You may want to wait until 2014 SP1 (if you can) when they really work all the kinks out (like a car, the 1st model year tends to be a little rough around the edges).  But don't throw this one out yet.

I still find it fascinating that so many of you have already judged the software when you have absolutely no info on it.  If you say it won't work now, you and your ego will find a way to make it not work when it comes out in an effort to make yourself look like a prophet of some sort.  Well, frankly my company wants "profits", not "prophets" and attitude helps dictate that.

My 2 cents...

Based on past experience with new releases of Autodesk software - they broke the DRIVE command after SP1 came out and it still isn't fixed.....

EESignature

Message 20 of 23

@neilyj666 wrote:

Based on past experience with new releases of Autodesk software - they broke the DRIVE command after SP1 came out and it still isn't fixed.....

And again, you are not looking at 2013. You are proving my point exactly.  You have NO IDEA if it will work in 2013.

The OP simply asked if anyone has any insight about WHEN 2013 will be out and 2 pages later there is total negativity based on speculation.  There will absolutely be glitches and setbacks, but what those are we don't know yet.  So why dwell on them?

I will reserve my judgement for 2013 for when I actually USE 2013.  Not sure how anyone can do otherwise.

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report