Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013:User Point .txt File Format-imported to Survey Database:No Match?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
scottchang
1332 Views, 8 Replies

C3D 2013:User Point .txt File Format-imported to Survey Database:No Match?

Hi all,

I tried to import the following txt file (FtMcNair7points3corners-C3D-boundary.txt) into the Survey DataBase of my AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013:

Pt#, X, Y, Pt Elevation, Raw Description

1,-77.000000,38.000000,10.1001,FdIP
2,-77.015071,38.870909,11.2002,SamplePt
3,-77.015066,38.870745,12.3003,SamplePt
4,-77.015074,38.87-615,13.4004,samplePt
5,-77.015184,38.870868,14.5005,SamplePt
6,-77.015346,38.870614,15.6006,SamplePt
7,-77.015183,38.870744,16.7007,SamplePt
8,-77.015185,38.870631,17.8008,SamplePt
9,-77.015715,38.870996,10.1111,Boundary B
10,-77.014869,38.871098,10.2222,Boundary
11,-77.015242,38.870287,10.3333.Boundary BC CLS

I launched a DWG project (FtMcNair7pts3cornersBoundary.dwg). In the Setting tab, I created a Point File Format "FtMcNairPoints" that has Coordinate zone transform=>Zone:HARN/MD.MD - see the 3 attached .jpg file. In the Survey tab, I created a Survey Database "Survey Data-Ft McNair", and I had set up (i) Figure Prefix Database:Ft.McNair, and (ii) Linework Code Set: Survey 1.  I tried to import the .txt file in the Import Event of my Survey Database "Survey-Ft McNair", and I got an error "No point file format match found" in the Status of Import Survey Data - Specify Data Source box - see the 2nd and 3rd attached files.  Please kindly help and advise me how to resolve this problem.

Thanks,

Scott Chang

P. S.  I did Practice 3b Importing Data - Figures (Task 1 - Set up a network and Import a survey, Task 2 - Review the survey data, and Task 3 - Create a survey figure of the book "AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 for Surveyors" (by SDC publications). I tried to get the Figure-LineCodes stuff working in my FtMcNair7pts3cornersBoundary.dwg and its Survey Database.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: scottchang

A few things that stand out to me:

1. Your first line in the text file should be commented (usually this is done with a #) and that symbol needs to be added to the PointFileFormat Comment Tag entry.

2. I don't think blank lines are allowed  When I first read the post the second line was blank, after adding my response it was gone...

3. The coordinates appear to be Lat-Long, not Northing/Easting.

4. You selected format option columnated, this should be comma delimited

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
scottchang

Hi Jeff_M, Thanks for your nice response.

1. I don't have "Pt#, X, Y, Pt Elevation, Raw Description" in the .txt file - I just use it in the post for indicating what I put in the txt file.

2. No idea what happens to this.

3. I changed my coordinates to the Long-Lat as you pointed out.

4. I changed to the comma delimited as you pointed out.

After my corrections, I imported the revised txt file again. I still got the same error message.  Do you have any thoughts on what mistakes I still have in the txt file?  Please kindly help and advise me again.

Thanks,

Scott Chang

P. S. In the Practice 3b: Import Data-Figures, a PNEZD (comma delimited) txt file was imported into the Figures-LineCodes (of Networks of Survey2 Data B) to generate the figures - see the newly attached file.  Please tell me how I can create the "Figure-LineCodes in the Network" of my Survey Database "Survey Data Ft McNair?  

Message 4 of 9
Jeff_M

Did you try turning off the PointFile filtering and manually selecting the PFF you created?
EESignature
Message 5 of 9
scottchang
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff_M,

1) I don't know what you mean by "turning off the PointFile filtering and manually selecting the PFF you created"!!!???

Jeff, please be more specific in your instructions that can help me in importing my txt file in the Import Events.

2) My txt file has some Figures-LineCodes to create a "boundary" polyline (triangle).  Do I have to import my txt file into the newly created Figure-LineCodes of Network of Survey Database?  I have problems with this approah/attemp too - see my today's new post in this forum: "C3D 2013 - Survey Database-Network & Figure-LineCodes are "Must Have"?

Please kindly help and respond again.

Many Thanks,

Scott Chang

Message 6 of 9
Jeff_M

@scottchang wrote:

Hi Jeff_M,

1) I don't know what you mean by "turning off the PointFile filtering and manually selecting the PFF you created"!!!???

Jeff, please be more specific in your instructions that can help me in importing my txt file in the Import Events.

In this image you posted, note that in the red rectangle area it says "filtering on". Now look where the arrow is pointing...that button will turn off the filtering. When filtering is on, C3D rties to determine the format of the file you selected. It cannot match yours to one, so unselect the filtering option and manually select the PointFileFormat from the unfiltered list that will appear.

askC3Dforums-UserPtFileFormat-2.jpg

Not sure about ?? number 2 as I don't use the Survey DB.

EESignature
Message 7 of 9
scottchang
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff_M,  Thanks for your response.

I tried the instructions you gave me. It showed me something - see the newly attached file. But it will not let me go to "Next" that is not highlighted.  I am lost in this place that is the Import Events of my Survey Database. You said you do do the Survey Databases in response to my 2) of my last post.  I think I cannot import the Figure-LineCodes txt file into the Survey Database via the Import Events!!??  Please comment this matter for me.

Thanks,

Scott Chang  

Message 8 of 9
scottchang

Here is the attached file I forgot to include in the last thread.   Scott Chang

Message 9 of 9
_Hathaway

You will need to setup a new point file format that mathes your input (lat and long).  When specifying the data source during the import event there is a button the right (above the filter button) called manage formats. Click this button and you can create a new point file using a variety of input parameters.  It is rather straightforward.  You will need to set this up to handle your lat-long input.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report