Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013: Survey Networks-Creatin a new "Figure-LineCodes" in Networks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
scottchang
414 Views, 7 Replies

C3D 2013: Survey Networks-Creatin a new "Figure-LineCodes" in Networks

Hi all,

I have a following txt file in PENZD (Comma delimited) to be input into the Survey Database of C3D 2013 for creating Figures:1,-77.000000,38.000000,10.1001,FdIP
2,-77.015071,38.870909,11.2002,SamplePt
3,-77.015066,38.870745,12.3003,SamplePt
4,-77.015074,38.87-615,13.4004,samplePt
5,-77.015184,38.870868,14.5005,SamplePt
6,-77.015346,38.870614,15.6006,SamplePt
7,-77.015183,38.870744,16.7007,SamplePt
8,-77.015185,38.870631,17.8008,SamplePt
9,-77.015715,38.870996,10.1111,Boundary B
10,-77.014869,38.871098,10.2222,Boundary
11,-77.015242,38.870287,10.3333.Boundary BC CLS

Under Survey Databases, I have created "Survey Data-Ft McNair" that has empty Import Events, Survey Queries, Networks, Network Groups, Figures, Figure Groups, Survey Points, and Survey Point Groups (i.e. no + sign infront of each item). Under Networks, how can I create ControlNetwork, Close Loop, Close Coonect, and Figure-LineCodes? I need the Figure-LineCodes for importing the txt file to create the figures I need.  Please kindly help and advise.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang    

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
rl_jackson
in reply to: scottchang

IF your trying to import the data, simply right clic the Import Events and select import data.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
scottchang
in reply to: rl_jackson

Hi rl_jackson, Thanks for your response.

I am not sure whether I can import my data in the txt file into the Survey Databases => Survey Data-Ft McNair => Figure-LineCodes, if I follow your advice.   Please give me your futher instructions to do what I want to do. Please respond again.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang

Message 4 of 8
rl_jackson

Your data appears to be in Lat / Long format, so you would need to create a custom point import format utilizing the data accordingly.

First you'll need to set the SDB to your coordinate zone. UTM or STATE PLANE (Right-Click your database name and select edit survey database setting, and change zone.)

Then go to Import event, select the SDB, hit next in the middle right - select the Point File Format, and select User Point File.

Then you need to set up the columns, for each. ie. Pnt#, Lat, Long, EL. DESC. and save your new point file format to something you know.

Once complete set the Data Source (your text file), and verify that it selects you newly created format. which should give you a preview of the data in the lower box. If all looks good select next.

Your data should then come into the drawing.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
scottchang

Hi rl-jackson,

Yes, my data is Lat/Long format for a site in Maryland, USA.   What is SDB in your respose? 

I want my data import to the Figure-LineCpodes of Networks of Survey Data-Ft McNair to get the DWG - not just to get a drawing.  Please kindly help and give more instructions for what I want to do.

Thanks again.

Scott Chang    

Message 6 of 8
rl_jackson

SDB = Survey Database

Once you import the data, you should get everything your looking for. Follow the directions in my previous post, it should become a little clearer as you go done the list. Just make sure you SDB is created, then verify that you have it open for edit on the Survey Tab in Tool Space.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
scottchang

Hi rl_jackson, Thanks for your nice, valuable responses.

Now I understand what you tried to tell me. I know I have a long way to get the DWG with the Figures (7 points and a boundary) I need from the data of my txt file. (1) I think the LAT/Long format thing can be handled. (2) I am trying to handle the Description Keys for "SamplePt" and "Boungary" I need: I went to Toolspace => Settings => Point => Descrition Key Sets => New DescKey Set, I see the following:

Code    Style         Point Label Style ....... Apply to X-Y   Apply to Z    .....  .....  .....

New     <default>    $*                               No                 No            .............................

Should I change "No" to "Yes" for Apply to X-Y and Apply to Z in this setting?

(3) You did not say anything about the Figure-LineCodes I need.  How can I create it in my SDB "scFtMcNair7pts3cornersBounday" under the Networks in the Survey tab?

Please kindly help and respond again.

Thanks,

Scott Chang

P. S. I am using 2 books to do this project: (i) Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 by L. Holland & K. Mercier, and (ii) AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 for Surveyors by SDC Publications.

Message 8 of 8
rl_jackson

Scott,

For the Description Key - I would assume you want a certain block to come in for you description of Sample Point. So here you would need to create a block, and then reference that block in a point style. Here's were things can start to get extremly long winded. I would recommend reading the section in Mastering on Points Styles which should also give you information regarding description keys. As far as the scaling goes it really hard for me to say, it really depends on you end goal, however I only use that for things like trees on a site that I want to change in size based on values coded in the field like the DBH or Dripline.

With respect to the figures, just by invoking the B in the Boundary description on import you should get a figure, assuming your using the OOTB linework code set. The BC code you have invokes a begin curve so unless you have 2 more points after that one, you'll just get a straight line back to Boundary point with the B, since you have the CLS code for Close. Here you can also get elaborate, and do things like sending the figure to a specific layer, color etc....

I would recommend one thing, shorten your descriptions to simplify you descriptions keys and figures. Again, look at the examples in Mastering, or the numerous ones in this forum, I can certainly say that just by doing a search here on dscription keys should give you hundreds of results.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report