Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D 2013: Surface1-Displaying Surface Elevation & Descrition onDWG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
scottchang
456 Views, 8 Replies

C3D 2013: Surface1-Displaying Surface Elevation & Descrition onDWG

Hi all,

I just used 8 points to create a surface - see the right-hand-side of  the 1st attached file. I went to Settings => Surface => Label Style => Spot Elevation =>Elevation Only => Label Style Composer - Elevation Only => Text  Contents: <[Surface Elevation(Uft[P2[RN]AP[SN|OF]>\P<[Description(CP) - see the 2nd attached file..  I went to Prospector => Surface => Surface1 => Definition and I did not see any place for editing Elevation - see the left-hand-side of the 1st attached file.  Please kindly help and advise me how to make the Elevation and my stuff in Description show up in the DWG.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: scottchang

If you have successfully created the label style, you have to add the label (annotate) in order for it show up.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 9
scottchang
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Hi Todd, Thanks for your response.

I am new in learning Surface in C3D 2013. This is my first time in creating a surface using the 8 points I guess.I have not tried to learn all the formatted items that  exsit in the C3D 2013.  I just want to know the elevations of the points in the surface and  add the chemical data to this surface. I cannot understand what you said "add the label (annotate) in order for it show up" in your response.  Could you please be more specific in your statement? Is it possible for me put the chemical data in Description and then make the chemical data appear in the DWG?

This morning, I played with the Surface Properties - Surface1 I got last week. I went to Information => Surface Style: Changed Countours 2' and 10' (background) to Countours 2' and 10' (Design). I got some contour lines becoming red - see the attached file. Also I used the Rotation Cube to check the DWG in all the faces and I did not see the variations in the edge of Surface!! Can I see the variations of elevation of Surface I created? 

Please kindly help and advise.

Many Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang

Message 4 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM

If that is what you are trying to do, you need to create the label style as we discussed before by adding the attributes into the label style. and using that label style...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/C3D-2013-Can-I-add-more-Point-Attribute-Items-after-P...

You need to go to a Civil 3D training class.  Where are you located?

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 9
scottchang
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Hi Todd,

I am in Baltimore, Maryland.

Thanks,

Scott Chang

Message 6 of 9
Nik-D

Hi Scott,

Maybe i'm wrong but it sounds like you used points to create your surface and so you want the points to display correctly.

First, if you only have 8 points, you need to give them a description which you can do. Go to Prospector, points, all points and edit. Give the points a name in the description column of the points editor.

Second, create a ponts group with the name you gave the points

Third, edit the properties of that point group by editing the points style and points label style. This should allow the points to be seen.

You can create your own points label style with whatever information you want. But for now select a preset style to make sure that he points are displaying correctly.

If you have used a blank drawing with no styles in it you can import points styles from predefined drawing templates using the IMPORTSTYLESANDSETTINGS command

Nik-D

Message 7 of 9
scottchang
in reply to: Nik-D

Hi Nik_D, Thanks for your nice, valuable response.

I tried to do the first and second suggestions you gave me. But, I am not able to launh, because I feel the following things are not in my control:

1) I started with the Definition of Surface and then imported the data of my 8 points that were stored in my M: drive to get the Surface - see the 1st attached file.  There are no information about the 8 points shown in the Surface Properties. 

2) In Propspector, Surfaces => Surface1 => Definition => (nothing in Point Files.) => Point Groups: New - see the 2nd attached file. I have no ideas how I can create 2 new Point Groups from the empty information in Point Files!!??

I saw something like "importing points to Surface" vaguely - is it the thing your "Third" item in your last thread?  I am still pretty confused now. Please kindly help and enlighten me in these 3 things.

Thanks,

Scott Chang   

Message 8 of 9
scottchang
in reply to: Nik-D

Hi Nik_D, Thanks for your nice, valuable response.

I tried to do the first and second suggestions you gave me. But, I am not able to launh, because I feel the following things are not in my control:

1) I started with the Definition of Surface and then imported the data of my 8 points that were stored in my M: drive to get the Surface - see the 1st attached file.  There are no information about the 8 points shown in the Surface Properties. 

2) In Propspector, Surfaces => Surface1 => Definition => (nothing in Point Files.) => Point Groups: New - see the 2nd attached file. I have no ideas how I can create 2 new Point Groups from the empty information in Point Files!!??

I saw something like "importing points to Surface" vaguely - is it the thing your "Third" item in your last thread?  I am still pretty confused now. Please kindly help and enlighten me in these 3 things.

Thanks,

Scott Chang   

P. S. I am not allowed to have the 2 attached files in this time.  So I removed them.  Please comment and respond.

Message 9 of 9
scottchang

Hi Nik, Todd, and C3D users,

I just found out that in creating a Surface, after setting up the Definition of Surface, using "Point Files" to add the points will not get the Point# and its Elevation and that using "Point Groups" (that should be created before setting up the Definition of Surface) to add the points will get the Point# and its Elevation - see the attached file. This is very interesting thing I want to share with the C3D 2013 users.

Scott Chang

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report