Distinguished Contributor
scottchang
Message 1 of 18 (447 Views)
Accepted Solution

C3D 2013: Input Pt#,XYZ of Points by Using "Points from txt file"

447 Views, 17 Replies
07-25-2013 06:11 AM

Hi all,

I used Notepad to create a txt file of 8 points as a PENZ space-delimited point file (point number, easting, northing and elevation values): see the first attached file

In my AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 (C3D 2013), I selected on the "Insert" tag and clicked on the "Points to File" to import the txt file of 8 points/PENZ space-delimited file.  It worked.  But, the output is not right in the columns of Easting, Northing and Point Elevation: see the second attached file

I am new in doing the Manually Input the Points of XYZ-coordinates in C3D 2013.  Please kindly help and tell me what went wrong in this project.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Chang

Scott,

I've been thinking about your post and whether to answer it or not. My link to the help files in my previous post was a hint that you might want to search the help files for answers first. We never want to discourage new users or students from posting. Questions that appear simple to experienced user are certainly allowed. We were all inexperienced at one time.

However most of use who frequent these forums do hope that users and students will make some attempt to search for answer from a prepared source first. Things like the help files, the Autodesk Knowledge Base, tutorials provided with the program and many available on Youtube or blog sites. Google or other search engines are good ways to find these.

Again. I do not want to discourage you. But you're obviously just learning and we can't turn this group into an online training course. Now lets see about your questions.

1) Erase

2) Learn about Point Label Styles

3) In the Toospace palette on the Prospector tab select the All Points group

(what I had posted was from another users drawing that I was helping and I mixed it in with yours)

To label see Point Label Styles.

5) Yes. Search for XDef in help. You will have to create an external Database.

To insert an image use the Insert/Edit Image button

iei.png

Allen Jessup

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 2 of 18 (432 Views)

Re: C3D 2013: Input Pt#,XYZ of Points by Using "Points from txt file"

07-25-2013 06:46 AM in reply to: scottchang

Did you create your own point format, or did you use one that was provided.  Looks like you used one that you created and didn't get the columns right.

If the issue was resolved by this method, please click on "Accept As Solution"
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

*Expert Elite*
neilyj
Message 3 of 18 (415 Views)

07-25-2013 07:11 AM in reply to: scottchang
Are there not 3 spaces between each column of data, I prefer the csv file type myself?
neilyj
(No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

IDSP Premium 2015 (mainly Civil 3D 2015 UKIE & Infraworks with some limited 3ds Max Design)
Win 7 Pro x64, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD
32Gb Ram Intel Xeon CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.6GHz (32 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell T5610
scottchang
Message 4 of 18 (413 Views)

07-25-2013 07:20 AM in reply to: TRogers

Hi Todd, Thanks for your response.

I created my own point format to get my CDC8ptsPENZforC3D.txt file for inputting into my AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 software program.  I don't know what you mean by "did you use one that was provided" in your response. I read "Point Files" of the C3D HELP and it states "If you have point data files that you created either manually or by downloading a data collector. you can use the point data as surface data....."  I don't understand it either.  Please tell me where I can get the "one" that was provided (you said in your response) and what went wrong in my input and output of my project.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang  

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 5 of 18 (411 Views)

07-25-2013 07:23 AM in reply to: scottchang

Attach the drawing and I will re-create your point format for you and send it back.

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

scottchang
Message 6 of 18 (408 Views)

07-25-2013 07:42 AM in reply to: TRogers

Hi Todd,

Here is the drawing file of CDC8ptsPENZfor3D.dwg for your use.  I am not sure what it is going on in my project.   Please enlighten me on what went wrong in my input and output of my project, as well as what you are going to correct my problem in the format of my Point File.

Thanks again,

Scott Chang 

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 7 of 18 (404 Views)

07-25-2013 07:48 AM in reply to: scottchang

Can you please attach the point file you created as well....thanks.

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 8 of 18 (404 Views)

07-25-2013 07:49 AM in reply to: scottchang

It looks like you either have your point format wrong or you have Civil 3D assigning point numbers instead accepting those provided in the file. The first column might be the assigned point #s and the program takes the first column in the txt file as the easting. So you have point #1 (assigned) and Easting 1.0m from the first column. An easy way to test this would be to make a copy of the text file and change the point #. Maybe add 100 to each. Then import that file and if you get point 1 with an easting of 101.0m that would confirm the problem.

Allen Jessup

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 9 of 18 (399 Views)

07-25-2013 08:03 AM in reply to: scottchang

Here you go...

File is attached.

*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 10 of 18 (387 Views)

07-25-2013 08:41 AM in reply to: scottchang

See attached for the setting I was refining to. On the Settings tab of the prospector expand Commands and rt-clk on Create points. Expand the Point Identity section. "If Points Numbers Are Supplied" should be set to Use. If it's set to Ignore the program will follow the settings above that.

Allen

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!